Eggloft question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peartree

I picked up an Estes Eggscalibur so I would have something (instead of nothing) to use for the eggloft duration event at the upcoming Great Lakes Regional. As I am finishing assembly I reread the Pink book rules and still have a question since I have never witnessed any NAR competitions before. The directions say to use two chutes when the payload bay is full so that the payload/nosecone and the booster reach return separately.

1) Is this permissible under NAR rules?

2) Is this the preferred way of doing things? I assume that for a duration event, the clock stops whenever the first piece hits the ground. Is it better to come down in two pieces with two chutes or tied together with one big chute? What's normal?

I picked up an Estes Eggscalibur so I would have something (instead of nothing) to use for the eggloft duration event at the upcoming Great Lakes Regional. As I am finishing assembly I reread the Pink book rules and still have a question since I have never witnessed any NAR competitions before. The directions say to use two chutes when the payload bay is full so that the payload/nosecone and the booster reach return separately.

1) Is this permissible under NAR rules?

2) Is this the preferred way of doing things? I assume that for a duration event, the clock stops whenever the first piece hits the ground. Is it better to come down in two pieces with two chutes or tied together with one big chute? What's normal?

It's legal for altitude, but not duration. For duration, the model may not separate into multiple pieces.

I would use one large chute instead of the 2. I tried 2 once and the time was less than with just one chute.

my .02 worth.

Back