Eggfinder LCD-GPS will not show Heading screen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
At yesterday's launch, I bought a second-hand Eggtimer TRS altimeter/GPS transmitter and the Eggfinder LCD-GPS receiver with enclosure. I powered up both devices. Just as the Eggfinder manuals says, on start up the LCD displays several screens, culminating with Waiting for Fix and then a screen that shows longitude and latitude and some other info. According to the manual, now I should "Press the button on the LCD receiver (if you have not yet done so, we strongly recommend connecting an external button… see the Eggfinder LCD User’s Guide for details). This will tell it to flip to the “Heading” screen… " Here's where I'm getting stuck. I've pushed the external and the internal button many times, tried short and long pushes, but no joy, the Heading screen just won't come up.

Am I doing something wrong or is there perhaps a problem with the device? Any thoughts for a possible fix?
Thanks,
Bill

On further review, I see I just have the Eggfinder LCD receiver, not the Eggfinder LCD-GPS receiver. Only the LCD-GPS has the heading screen described in my earlier post.

It looks like my tx and rx are not pairing. After Waiting for Sync I'm supposed to get a screen with the name of my device and the version number, but instead it just goes to Waiting for Fix. But if the rx and the tx are not pairing, where is the longitude and latitude coming from?

I have a video of my startup sequence at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9gWT3BDwvEwcS3mt6

Last edited:
If you have the latest firmware, you can get a heading and distance from the PAD. Press the button after you've racked your rocket and have a fix, and it will use that position as your "starting" coordinates. Since you don't have a GPS in the receiver it can't update it as you move, but it will give you the compass position and distance from the pad that the rocket traveled, which should at least help you figure out which way to start looking before you plug the landing coodinates into your navigation app.

I'd consider adding the GPS to the receiver, in my experience, it makes the combo so much better to use. Especially once you're tracking a significant distance from the pad, the GPS in the receiver is essential.

I'd consider adding the GPS to the receiver, in my experience, it makes the combo so much better to use. Especially once you're tracking a significant distance from the pad, the GPS in the receiver is essential.
I think you are correct, the GPS module seems a nice addition, also the Bluetooth module for real time map tracking. Now if I could just get this working....

It has been suggested that the pairing issue may be the result of the tx being set to a different frequency than the rx. Is there any way to check the tx frequency without a data cable?

Back