Drawing Programs for Mac?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
I have a iMac i3 desktop with 8 GB RAM and a 21.5" monitor.

I'd like to try to make some of my own decals and am looking for an inexpensive drawing program.

I've tried some freeware stuff and didn't like the offerings.

I've not done any drawing or drafting, either physically or on a computer, so I'm looking for something really basic.

Any iMac users out there with recommendations?

I'd like to try to make some of my own decals and am looking for an inexpensive drawing program.

Bunny,

I'm a big fan of Adobe Illustrator, using it for projects such as DVD graphics, decal files, workshop drawings, and even laser cutter files. It's not cheap (at least for a new copy) but it is extraordinarily versatile. It also has the benefit (or curse, some would argue) of a fairly linear learning curve: it's easy to pick up the basics, but there are many additional features about which you can learn over time. There are also thousands of short YouTube tutorials available to help you learn individual features. I used one of these videos just yesterday to work through a task related to a Little Joe escape tower motor part.

Perhaps you could find a used copy of Illustrator, ideally a Creative Suite 1 or 2 version? (This would be Illustrator 11.x or 12.x.) Corel Draw is the inexpensive alternative to Illustrator, and many people find it completely adequate.

Hope this helps,
James

www.deltacad.com.
You can download the program for free and use it for 45 days.
After that, you reinstall it for another 45 days, and again, and...
Or purchase for $40 instant download.
It's not 3D. I've used it for years.
You can cut and copy just about anything into it.
Best part is, its resource demand if very small.
Won't hurt to download it and give it a try.
To get use to the commands, witch is very easy, use the tutors under the help menu.

I use Pixelmator. Definitely not a CAD program but good for fancy drawings and lettering.

Last edited:
Have you tried Inkscape?

I just downloaded it. I was sold after I saw the "Bottlecap Tutorial", as I needed something about the shape of a bottlecap.

:mad:
I thought I had made the designs I needed, but when I hit print, it just filled a whole page with black ink!!!

^%$@##@ **^&^:mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back