Drag Races.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
There is always a great debate with drag races over who won. First off the pad is sometimes the criteria, other times first to XXXX altitude or speed. But it is usually a judgment call of those watching.

Howa bouta a device that is triggered by the motor ignition current to start a timer? The accelerometer data could give an indication of time to get off the pad and could also give time to altitude or speed.

Another benefit would be to compare results of rockets not launched against each other, like the car guys do. They could even be at different events and it would make it possible for a real record to be established.

Mark

There is always a great debate with drag races over who won. First off the pad is sometimes the criteria, other times first to XXXX altitude or speed. But it is usually a judgment call of those watching.

Howa bouta a device that is triggered by the motor ignition current to start a timer? The accelerometer data could give an indication of time to get off the pad and could also give time to altitude or speed.

Another benefit would be to compare results of rockets not launched against each other, like the car guys do. They could even be at different events and it would make it possible for a real record to be established.

Mark

Some devices with logging could just detect the voltage directly (of course isolated so the 12 volts doesn't fry anything), like the R-DAS or AIM XTRA. But that would take wiring essentially equivalent to what's needed for an airstart and that's irritating.

Drag races are challenging because there are a lot of ways that you can judge it. Ideally you'd want something that would start a timer as soon as the launch console button was pressed, and would stop the timer at some pre-determined altitude. This would take into account the time that the motor took to fire, the acceleration, etc. Sounds like there may be a market out there for some enterprising hardware guy...

I always thought that one of the benefits of a drag race is that each of the participants can find a way to claim victory.

My rocket left the pad first. My rocket reached 1000' first. My rocket landed first. My rocket landed nearest the launch pad. My rocket landed farther from the launch pad. My rocket landed higher in the trees. My rocket came down in more pieces than yours. And so on ....

-- Roger

No brainer. Most pieces wins every time.

I always thought that one of the benefits of a drag race is that each of the participants can find a way to claim victory.

My rocket left the pad first. My rocket reached 1000' first. My rocket landed first. My rocket landed nearest the launch pad. My rocket landed farther from the launch pad. My rocket landed higher in the trees. My rocket came down in more pieces than yours. And so on ....

-- Roger

It's a shame you can't get BRB GPS to update data faster than once per second(and at velocity) as the data is all time coded.

If you knew the baseline and the lens angle of view (and with at least a base reference in the frame) you could use a quality 1080p/60 camera and define your altitude by the elevation angle, requiring all contestants to remain within, say, a 5deg vertical cone to qualify.

It's a shame you can't get BRB GPS to update data faster than once per second(and at velocity) as the data is all time coded.

If you knew the baseline and the lens angle of view (and with at least a base reference in the frame) you could use a quality 1080p/60 camera and define your altitude by the elevation angle, requiring all contestants to remain within, say, a 5deg vertical cone to qualify.

You would need an indicator of when the ignition occurred.

We used to put a flash bulb parallel with the igniter for motor and other testing.

My original idea was to avoid external parts like cameras. If the set up is easy, such as just clipping the igniter leads to it, it would be more likely to be used.
How many use the theodalites to measure alt vs electrontics.

You would need an indicator of when the ignition occurred.

Ahhh, I went back and read the entire thread...you're concerned about multiple heats. But that kinda takes the fun out of it. It's a mano y mano battle, like three cars at a stoplight, not some nerd time trial.:sigh:

The flash circuit is a good gauge for start, in the un-manly version.

For some reason, when I read the title of this thread, I keep getting images of a five-way heat between Terence Stamp (General Zod), Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith), Wesley Snipes, Patrick Swayze, and John Leguizamo.....

:shudder:

G.D.

Ahhh, I went back and read the entire thread...you're concerned about multiple heats. But that kinda takes the fun out of it. It's a mano y mano battle, like three cars at a stoplight, not some nerd time trial.:sigh:

The flash circuit is a good gauge for start, in the un-manly version.

Well, real drag races (with cars) are races against the clock, not against the person in the other lane. Or something like that.

I wonder if something could be done wirelessly in tandem with a wireless launch system...

In any case, I'll drag race anyone to Mach with Disappearing Act.

Back