Dr. Zooch Lifting Body build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry to derail the thread, but which kind of tiles? I know that there are different types.

The main reason I am putting this new reply here is also to say it's LVGDGTS. This is short for "love gadgets". I have always been an early adopter of tech. I used to wear bluetooth headsets all the time before 99.9% of people knew what they were. My fascination is wearing off a bit though. It's an expensive hobby.

This should do you
https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Cei...ling-Tile-8-Pack-R2310/203628901#.Um_fQ3dKNqM
This is for an 8 pack but you should be able to get them individually at the store in the lumber area, by the peg board, and mfd sheets most likely

I'm sorry to derail the thread, but which kind of tiles? I know that there are different types.

The main reason I am putting this new reply here is also to say it's LVGDGTS. This is short for "love gadgets". I have always been an early adopter of tech. I used to wear bluetooth headsets all the time before 99.9% of people knew what they were. My fascination is wearing off a bit though. It's an expensive hobby.

Daddy...I see...Hauptmann Kitty continues to make bold and daring build suggestions pushing the envelope of the Luftwaffe! I did not realize the Hauptmann is comrades with Ernst ...but, it should not come as a surprise. I think the Afrika Corps Ju-87 is pretty cool looking....are going to look for the long snake decal for the sides? The Hauptmann makes wise decisions. Hopefully he will approve of your plans.

He is a real Tom Cat. Hanging out with Ernst Udet and engaging in heavy drinking, smoking and womanizing. They discuss conquering the world using air power and the dive bomber in particular, and then have another round of schnapps. He is the King of the neighborhood, so much so that this summer I said our back yard looked like the Somme and the rabbits were the British. So many headless rabbit and mouse carcasses strewn about it was a real mess. Just like Ernst the Hauptmann is a real ladies man, but he has been fixed to keep him under control.

Time to get off my keister and get some pictures on the forum of the Hauptmann reviewing his latest silly WWII rocket airplane builds. As for the paint scheme on the JU 87 it will be one of three. The final DAK scheme will depend on what decals I can find and how long the rocket will turn out to be. It is hard to make it look right, not being too out of proportion but being able to fly and not burning the tail off to a great degree. The snake is cool but so too are the diving duck and the clover leaf schemes. All I know is that I need some RLM light blue, mustard yellow and olive grun. I used all the nose weight recovered from the Ar 234 plus some, as this beast will be about the size of the Val but only using three D12 3 motors. So much for test flights, they will call ‘em Scare Flights when the Stuka starts screaming overhead. Maybe I will wait and go after all the Zoocher’s successfully glide their craft down, giving everyone a real sense of confidence that all model rockets have good science backing them up.

ahh..I can see Hauptmann hanging out with Ernsdt as well as Hannah Reich discussing the good old days of flying, waxing nostalgic about the Me-109 Emil and its sweet handling characteristics that were changed (ruined) by the more powerful Daimlers installed...it must be quite a scene at your house with Hauptmann entertaining such pilots as Adolph Galland, Gunther Rall, Walter Nowatni, Erich Hartmann...I am not surprised at all that he hones his hunting instincts by preying upon the critters in the back yard...much like Von Richthofen going hunting for boar to pass the time...aces tend to do these things.

looking forward to seeing the Stuka....that si going to look really cool no matter how it is painted!

He is a real Tom Cat. Hanging out with Ernst Udet and engaging in heavy drinking, smoking and womanizing. They discuss conquering the world using air power and the dive bomber in particular, and then have another round of schnapps. He is the King of the neighborhood, so much so that this summer I said our back yard looked like the Somme and the rabbits were the British. So many headless rabbit and mouse carcasses strewn about it was a real mess. Just like Ernst the Hauptmann is a real ladies man, but he has been fixed to keep him under control.

Time to get off my keister and get some pictures on the forum of the Hauptmann reviewing his latest silly WWII rocket airplane builds. As for the paint scheme on the JU 87 it will be one of three. The final DAK scheme will depend on what decals I can find and how long the rocket will turn out to be. It is hard to make it look right, not being too out of proportion but being able to fly and not burning the tail off to a great degree. The snake is cool but so too are the diving duck and the clover leaf schemes. All I know is that I need some RLM light blue, mustard yellow and olive grun. I used all the nose weight recovered from the Ar 234 plus some, as this beast will be about the size of the Val but only using three D12 3 motors. So much for test flights, they will call ‘em Scare Flights when the Stuka starts screaming overhead. Maybe I will wait and go after all the Zoocher’s successfully glide their craft down, giving everyone a real sense of confidence that all model rockets have good science backing them up.

oh....I am making progress up here in the LB....the painting is done and I put a gloss coat on her tonight...I hope to start putting decals on tomorrow and will post some pictures as soon as I can...

ahh..I can see Hauptmann hanging out with Ernsdt as well as Hannah Reich discussing the good old days of flying, waxing nostalgic about the Me-109 Emil and its sweet handling characteristics that were changed (ruined) by the more powerful Daimlers installed...it must be quite a scene at your house with Hauptmann entertaining such pilots as Adolph Galland, Gunther Rall, Walter Nowatni, Erich Hartmann...I am not surprised at all that he hones his hunting instincts by preying upon the critters in the back yard...much like Von Richthofen going hunting for boar to pass the time...aces tend to do these things.

looking forward to seeing the Stuka....that si going to look really cool no matter how it is painted!

Now that would make quite and interesting Halloween Party. Lots of old ghosts, booze and aviation stories.

sorry for the delay up here...but its been a busy week. Over the past week, I broke out the trusty Badger 150 airbrush and tried to paint an Israeli camo scheme using Model Master acrylic paints. Next was to use various decals from multiple sheets to finish her. Hope you guys like it!

000_0871a.jpg000_0872a.jpg000_0874a.jpg000_0877a.jpg

here are some pictures with the booster. The booster is not complete. I have to add the attach pad and SRB braces, but this will give you an idea of what this booster/Lifting Body will look like

000_0878a.jpg000_0879a.jpg000_0880a.jpg

Thanks Mushtang, I appreciate the kind words. And about the Legos comment, there is NO WAY that is true! Your builds are better than mine!!
Thankfully we set the clocks back an hour and theoretically one should get an extra hour of sleep. My dog and cats didn't get the memo... :facepalm:

Looks awesome! You do such awesome work with your designs and finishes. My builds look like Legos by comparison.

Thanks Aerostadt. It really is a fun build. I really enjoy coming up with paint schemes and stuff for these kits.

On this one, I want to give a shout out to good 'ol Daddyisabar for the idea on the big yellow deltas. :cheers: I think they look cool on there. They are from a 1/72 sheet of Israeli Kfirs that I was able to find on ebay. I thought they were a little out of scale, so to tone them down a bit I used some red decal trim to make a "no step here walkway" or panel on the LB. That little red decal trim is really tough. I either ripped it trying to take it off the sheet, or trying to maneuver it in place and make it reasonably straight. Its just that thin. That is why one side is a little shorter than the other...I was running out of trim and patience!! But I do kinda like it on there!

Looks really good, Rick, and a lot of fun!

Rick ,

As soon as I saw the paintjob on the lifting body ,I walked over to my model airplane collection/display and said....AH Hahhhhhhhh !!

Matches up nicely with my Dassault Super mystere B2 and Dassault Mirage V / Kfir "Lion cub"......

PERFECT !!

Another superb job and your airbrush skills seem to be on the mark.....very nice !

Take care my friend !!!!!

Paul T ( I always loved the Mirage family of jets)

Thanks Paul! That means a lot coming from the Master! Thank you. I always liked the color scheme the Israeli's use....just a neat blend of color. With this one, I thought that color on the LB would look neat on a predominantly white booster, which the Shavit appears to be...I just thought that would look neat. When I wrap this one up, I think I am going to build a few more lifting bodies and try different schemes...just for fun. I am going to have to get a case for these little guys! They do look neat though!! Its just a fun little kit that is fun to fly.

I am going to go back to your web page and look at those awesome models of your yours. And I agree, I always thought the Mirage family was just a beautiful family of fighters. Classic design.

Rick ,

As soon as I saw the paintjob on the lifting body ,I walked over to my model airplane collection/display and said....AH Hahhhhhhhh !!

Matches up nicely with my Dassault Super mystere B2 and Dassault Mirage V / Kfir "Lion cub"......

PERFECT !!

Another superb job and your airbrush skills seem to be on the mark.....very nice !

Take care my friend !!!!!

Paul T ( I always loved the Mirage family of jets)

Last edited:
Thanks Owen! this is one of my favorite Zooch kits....its an empty canvas...you can paint her however you want!! its actually a very straight forward build. The instructions are very clear and, like any kit, if you take your time with it, it goes right together without any real issues.

That looks so awesome!

OK...the next part of this build would be assembling that Dr. Zooch calls the attach pad. This is the structure that the Lifting Body will hook onto the booster. The instructions call for you to cut two pieces of balsa 1 1/8 " by 1/4" and then glue the halves together.
000_0887a.jpg

then the instructions ask you to gently sand two grooves into the attach pad that are 15/16's of an inch apart from each other....you will later glue two small dowels into these grooves. As you can see from the prior picture, I use a little template that I made out of extra card stock. sanding the grooves is pretty straightforward. The picture was my poor attempt to sand with one hand and take a picture with the other. In actuality, the sanded groove will be facing the front of the pad, this picture is showing the side..sorry about this!
000_0889a.jpg

I apologize for the poor job on photographing this step...but, the instructions ask you to cut two 1/4" pieces from the dowel, these are the "legs" that the pad will attach to the booster. The instructions also ask you to cut two lengths of dowel as support braces, 1" long and then gently bevel one one edge and glue that to the bottom of the pad. I usually let the wood glue set up for a few minutes, then attach the support braces and let that set for a few more minutes, that will allow you time to then glue the pad "legs" to the booster and then gently maneuver the support braces and glue them to the booster. Then cut two pieces of dowel 7/8" long and glue these to the grooves that you sanded, trying to keep these straight and level. Again, I apologize for the poor documentation of this step. Just follow the instructions, they are clear and well written and take you right through it. If you buy this kit, which I highly recommend, you will see this is step 3 in the build. But because I wanted to make my booster a ICBM, I kinda skipped around a bit..I came back to this part. the attach pad gets glued squarely between the two SRB's and opposite the engine clip. that will allow you access to the engine clip when the orbiter is later placed onto the pad.

I am attaching a picture of the completed attach pad. I think the last picture shows the two strips of balsa that are glued together, the two small "legs" of the pad as well as how the grooves are to be sanded and the dowels attach to the booster etc. I am going to add a good amount of glue to this after it dries completely and then will paint this silver.

000_0894a.jpg000_0895a.jpg000_0897a.jpg

while this dries, I moved onto start building the Dr. Zooch Flame Fins, which are removable fins for stability. These will glue onto a small cardboard tube that with the use of cardboard centering rings, will slide into the SRB's...they are inserted for flight and removed for display. The fins have a flame pattern that is then cut from balsa sheets that are provided. (no laser cutting here...its the good old fashion way of doing it!)

000_0891a.jpg000_0892a.jpg

this is where I am with the build as of now. Tomorrow I will some CA on the fins to harden them and then will put a few coats of filler down on the fins and sand them smooth.

OK....steady progress up here....slow...but steady. During the week I coated the fins with some CA to harden them up a bit and then I put a few coats of filler on them..I don't go hog wild with the fins, but enough to try to hide some of the wood grain. The fins were then sanded reasonably smooth.

Then you take the T5 tube provided in the kit and cut it exactly in half.
000_0899a.jpg

then using the handy fin and tube marking guide, you mark the tube with 3 lines, each 90 degrees apart for alignment of the fins.
000_0900a.jpg

then using the double glue method, its a simple process of gluing each fin to the marked line on the tube as best as you can.
000_0901a.jpg

I have two fins hung...we'll let these set up and then will move to the next fin.
000_0902a.jpg

when these are finished, they will get a neat paint job trying to simulate flames...but that is a little ways off for the moment.

Rick, what can I say? AWESOME--- as always! I really need to get my hands on one of these--so cool--What a great collection, your an artist my friend !!-H

thanks Hornet! I appreciate that and it means a lot coming from a builder with your skills! thank you!!
Its a fun little kit Hornet and I think you would enjoy it...its fun to build and fly and just as much fun to think of different ways to paint it!!

you know what would be a cool scheme? the old Wolfpack F-14 scheme
f14-squadron-vf001-01.jpg

or how about an old F-4 Sundowners?
sundowner(1).jpg

you see what I mean about this kit?? its endless possibilities!! all of which are cool looking!!

Rick, what can I say? AWESOME--- as always! I really need to get my hands on one of these--so cool--What a great collection, your an artist my friend !!-H

OK...building the flame fins is straight forward. I let the fins dry and then glued the two centering rings to each T-5 tube. I then used my wood glue to make a fillet for each fin....I'll let these dry overnight and these are ready for painting I think.

000_0903a.jpg

I will be away this weekend ..heading up to visit my daughter in college! I will post more pictures when I can!

Latest posts

Back