DQ in Results Column in RockSim Means?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Brother got me RockSim as an early xmas present.
I had DQ in the results column in the simulation in the trial version, just figured because it was the trial version.
But still getting it in the full version.
Can't seem to find out what that exactly means.
Anyone on TRF use RockSim and know what this means?
Rockets that run on Estes Engines don't get it, but when I put in an AT engine, almost all get the DQ.
Frustrating to say the least.

You have the competition mode set and your sims are exceeding the parameters that are set. I rarely have used this mode and forget the details. Next time you load a motor, go to the competition settings tab and uncheck the two top boxes (on V9).

Brother got me RockSim as an early xmas present.
I had DQ in the results column in the simulation in the trial version, just figured because it was the trial version.
But still getting it in the full version.
Can't seem to find out what that exactly means.
Anyone on TRF use RockSim and know what this means?
Rockets that run on Estes Engines don't get it, but when I put in an AT engine, almost all get the DQ.
Frustrating to say the least.
Are you entering in a delay when you select the motor?

Select one of your sims and view it in the 2D flight profile (i.e., the animation). Does it show the rocket deploying a parachute or streamer?

DQ usually means that the rocket crashed, either because it was unstable or because it didn't deploy a recovery device. This will be evident in the animation of the flight.

Rockets that recover via tumbling or featherweight recovery will also show a DQ in RockSim.

You can also double-click on the sim in question to bring up a detail page for it that contains more complete information.

Last edited:
By chance do you have competition settings in use. Could be that you cannot use AT motors for competition. Just a thought.

I'll try the double click in the ? icon
I clicked it once, then the result colomn and it just gave general discription.
Always view the animation, that's what's the funest!
No flutter or streamer rockets, all chutes, all w/delays.
Thank You

In my copy, lack of a recovery device will display a crunched rocket icon. Unless the competition mode is set. :wink: That mode sets things like field size so if you have a big chute and fly too high you'll drift off the field...and DQ.

In all of these years I have never set or used the competition settings in RS, but if your animation is showing a stable flight with a good recovery, then that could very well be it. RS isn't recognizing it as a valid flight due to some parameters that it has been given.

The sim details page tells you such things as if the rocket reached a stable flight speed before it left the rod, acceleration and velocity figures, altitude at motor burn out, time to apogee, altitude at recovery deployment, velocity at recovery deployment, time to landing, distance of landing from point of launch and total time of flight. Also whether the rocket gods approved, the odds of it finding the only tree or body of water in the field, whether or not your kid or your dog catches it before it touches down, whether or not it should be in the highlight reel, how many views the clip of it will garner on YouTube and maybe a few other things that I can't remember at the moment.

Yea Mark, this thing is going to take a lot of experimenting with. I have no idea what all the x & Y things are, but I'm sure when I play with enough I'll figure it out.
I think it was in the compitition settings. Cleared the top 2 check boxes, set all the other options to 0% and ran a couple different rockets so far and the DQ seams to have changed to either deploy on accent or decent.
I've got launch settings to no wind, and have thermals turned off previously.
Thanks for everyones help, it was buggin the crap out me!
Woody

Back