• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Don't forget, Atlantis Launch Set for Sept. 6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmkSignals

Reaction score
After weathering tropical depression Ernesto at the launch pad, the shuttle Atlantis is set for launch from the Kennedy Space Center at 12:29 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 6

Holy crap! Thanks for the reminder. It completely slipped my mind. Shame on me...
Reed

Still on track for a 12:29 ET launch Wed.

30% chance of bad weather. (fingers crossed!)

When I watch the space station go overhead in Ogden, UT, it gets as bright as -1.1 in magnitude. Will it be noticebly brighter after a successful completion of STS-115? Will the optical characteristics be different with the new SARJ rotating the huge solar panel?

Hmmm

Pat

It's a scrub - they're having an undervoltage on one of the fuel cells. If they can fix it, they'll try again Thursday.

Greg

Maybe that means that the Ares IV (the big one based off the main stack) will be hurried into a faster production.

That would be cool!

Jason

Originally posted by Rock_It
Launch Status Breifing at 5:30 on NASA TV. Hopefully we'll hear the count is back on.
Eastern or Central Time?

I have to say I enjoy listening to Wayne Hale. He is a VERY good public speaker.

Originally posted by smksignals
After weathering tropical depression Ernesto at the launch pad, the shuttle Atlantis is set for launch from the Kennedy Space Center at 12:29 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, Sept. 6

Alas I hope things go well for the crew and mission, but I don't follow the Space Shuttle any more. I have been following the New Horizon mission as we will learn more about Pluto, planetoids, and our solar system from this mission than we will the Space Shuttle mission:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/newhorizons/launch/vlcc.html

03.jpg

They're just not having any luck at all on this one. I hope this mission gets underway. It is important to getting the Space station at least built. Well, having the exterior of the ISS built by 2010 anyway. They've already said that it will put pressure on them down the road if this thing gets delayed into October. They will not launch unless it is safe though, and this is why grounding the Shuttle program in 2010 was a bad idea.

Funny that you mention the ISS being completed by 2010. I understand that the STS will have to get most of the major components in place by 2008, as one of the orbitors is to be 'mothballed'.

Very interesting reading about the STS and its failings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_program

"The total cost of the Shuttle program has been $145 billion as of early 2005 , and is estimated to be $174 billion when the Shuttle retires in 2010. NASA's budget for 2005 allocated 30%, or $5 billion, to Space Shuttle operations; [5] this was decreased in 2006 to a request of $4.3 billion. [6]

Per-launch costs can be measured by dividing the total cost over the life of the program (including buildings, facilities, training, salaries, etc) by the number of launches. With 115 missions (as of 6 August 2006), and a total cost of $150 billion ($145 billion as of early 2005 + $5 billion for 2005 [5], this gives approximately $1.3 billion per launch. Another method is to calculate the incremental (or marginal) cost differential to add or subtract one flight — just the immediate resources expended/saved/involved in that one flight. This is about $60 million [3][4].

Early cost estimates of $118 per pound ($260/kg) of payload were based on marginal or incremental launch costs, and based on 1972 dollars and assuming a 65,000 pound (30,000 kg) payload capacity.[5] [6] Correcting for inflation, this equates to roughly $36 million incremental per launch costs. Compared to this, today's actual incremental per launch costs are about 50% more, or $60 million per launch."

"Main article: Criticism of the Space Shuttle program
The Space Shuttle program has been criticized for failing to achieve its promised cost and utility goals, as well as design, cost, management, and safety issues.

After both the Challenger disaster and the Columbia disaster, high profile boards convened to investigate the accidents with both committees returning praise and serious critiques to the program and NASA management. One of the most famous of these criticisms came from Nobel Prize winner Richard Feynman."

And I do respect Richard Feynman. Brilliant Physicist, and his lectures simplify quantum mechanics like no other. I still have his three volume lecture book set from my college days ...was a brilliant man!

V'Ger

P.s. The Apollo program to the Moon cost the American tax payer a little under 26 billion dollars (1969). Adjusting for inflation, landing on the Moon in today's dollars would be a bit over 135 billion dollars.

The entire Space Shuttle Program in 1969 dollars would be almost 33 billion dollars (174 bil in 2006 dollars).

It was FAR cheaper to goto the Moon, than it was to achieve low Earth orbit and glide back to Earth. And not to mention the 14 dead Astronauts... not sure how to place a price tag on human life :(

https://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi <----- deflation/inflation calculator.

Things seem to be looking up for launch this morning; crews are
sealed in the Shuttle and the weather is perfect! Hope all goes
well within the next two hours...

WOOT! Still a go. there is a little worry about thunder storms but so far we will pick up after the 9min hold!

thanx, Ben

Yes, to me everything is looking good this morning. I'd be very
surprised if the launch gets scrubbed today...

And LIFTOFF of Space Shuttle Atlantis!!

thanx, Ben

...and your point? :confused:

That Space is expensive? That Space flight is dangerous? Need to go do some more reading. Like about the 3 Astronauts that burned up and never left the Pad. Also the one who Died from Cancer...yeah, the suits they used didn't protect them worth a dang. It's people that are too dam- worried about what it costs to go to Space that are the reason the Shuttle is getting grounded and are setting us back another 40 years. Adjust THAT for inflation.

Point is that the shuttle program has never met any of its original goals. That’s the point. It is and will be an expensive 'X' program.

The early plan for man reaching the Moon was to create a permanent space station, then use the station as a launch platform to the Moon.

The Shuttle was an expensive way to realize imitations with a ‘winged’ space vehicle. First we had one man in a ‘can’ (Mercury), then two (Gemini), then three (Apollo), then the space plane (shuttle). Now we are going back to ‘cans’ (Orion). Its like the shuttle program was some goose that never laid the golden egg.

Now I realize that a few billion here or there in today's budgets and tax payer contributions are drops in the bucket so to speak. I howsoever, do care about how my tax dollars are spent and the effectiveness of its use. Hundreds of other science programs have either been delayed or cancelled because of the Space Shuttle; either there was lack of budget or delays caused by Challenger and Columbia. Even the U.S. Air Force decided to stop using the Space Shuttle as a launch platform due to its costs and safety… WOW! I say, ‘wow’, because the Air Force doesn’t launch manned payloads. Astronaut Mustrgrave, has gone on record stating that the design is far dangerous than anything ever flown before by NASA

There have been comet missions cancelled due to the space shuttle budget. There have been missions to the planets canceled due to the Shuttle. There have been programs in high-speed flight, fuel efficiency, navigation, and other PRACTICAL and CONSUMER beneficial programs canceled because of the Space Shuttle.

Do you work for NASA or an aerospace firm? I have. I have seen programs that had very practical and beneficial long-term results shelved because there wasn't a budget for them. Flying spiders and bees into space gets old after the 30th or 40th time…

…I guess this is another point.

Look I love Star Trek, and Star Wars like the next guy, but I have to be REALISTIC about space, and mankind. No one alive now, will ever see another star system unless we are contacted by a more advanced civilization from beyond our own planet. We as a species can't even get along with one another. Blacks hate whites, whites hate blacks. Muslims hate Jews, Jews hate Muslims ... we as an animal species may not even survive ourselves. We need to get our problems fixed here before we take them out to the stars and pollute space.

So I am not against space flight and learning, I just want it to be efficient and done in a way that increases our knowledge and understanding of ourselves and our place in the universe. Its not that I am against rockets with men and women in them, but more so against waste and inefficiency that the Space Shuttle has caused. Yes the Space Shuttle had first like recovery of a satellite from orbit, and the MMU ‘Buck Rogers’ jet pack. But it has lead to program and flight delays; the current mission was delayed for 5 years due to Columbia’s destruction upon re-entry. 14 men and women have lost their lives due to KNOWN, known issues with the Shuttle. The SRBs were projected by the Air Force to fail every 1 in 30 flights. Columbia’s destruction due to FOD hitting the vehicle was not the first time; even on STS 1, the orbiter was hit by a substantial piece of foam/ice on the top of the cockpit. Not an issue nor was it followed up on, because the top of the cockpit isn’t a high heat area.

The Space Shuttle, as a program OVERALL, was an expensive and wasteful chapter in the United States space program. I am not the only one saying this; as Nobel Prize winners and leading scientist the world over have stated this before I came to a similar conclusion. The Soviets dumped Buran because it was too expensive and a very inefficient way to get things into orbit (men and machines). Yes the Soviets were falling apart towards the late 80s, but look at their launch history with Soyuz and their boosters.
I feel that the Soviets are the TRUE leaders in manned space flight as they are doing it the right way. Taking the little steps that when totaled, make one VERY large step.

Personally, I would rather ride a Soyuz spacecraft into orbit, than the Space Shuttle; I have better odds with the Russian vehicle.

Its not that I am SCARED, it’s that I am concerned with the overall direction and path we (United States) are taking. And as I stated above, NO ONE alive on planet Earth today, will EVER see another star system. Mars, Jupiter, Saturn's moon Titan, yes MAYBE... are the goals we need to set for our species; now what do we do to achieve these small but significant steps? The Space Shuttle certainly wasn’t the answer.

I just want to see realistic and constructive goals planned and achieved.

I love the roar and the super science as well!

V'Ger

P.s. The Shuttle was never planned and agreed to based on a goal to build ISS. President Nixon and Secretary of State McNamara approved the program with the goal to use it to intercept and steal Soviet satellites from Earth orbit. I wonder if that was ever achieved?

...and your point? :confused:

That Space is expensive? That Space flight is dangerous? Need to go do some more reading. Like about the 3 Astronauts that burned up and never left the Pad. Also the one who Died from Cancer...yeah, the suits they used didn't protect them worth a dang. It's people that are too dam- worried about what it costs to go to Space that are the reason the Shuttle is getting grounded and are setting us back another 40 years. Adjust THAT for inflation.

Couple more things:

Apollo 1 Deaths were completely avoidable if the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were working together back in the 60s and not against each other. A Soviet cosmonaut died ON THE GROUND in a lab when in a pure oxygen environment he flicked an alcohol swab onto a hot plate. It ignited, and he died within seconds... had his lungs burned up from the inside. OUCH. This occurred back in the late 50s, years before the Apollo 1 fire.

Apollo 1 astronauts died due to a faulty design, and a pure oxygen environment. Now no one flies in a pure oxygen environment, but you bringing this up has NOTHING to do with the PREVENTABLE AND KNOWN issues that have destroyed two shuttles and 14 lives. Both the SRB burn throughs and the FOD hitting the shuttle were warned about many years before the luck finally ran out.

As for setting us back 40 years, I can only say that due to Challenger and Columbia, scores of programs have been cancelled or setback 10 - 15 years. The Atlantis lift-off today, had been scheduled 5 years ago... guess you may have to do some reading too :p

V'Ger

P.s. If you can give me a figure for the value of Human life, I will adjust that for inflation :(

Back