Does recovery wadding expire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volcanomom

Reaction score
We have an OLD (as in I don't know when it was purchased box of A8-3 engines with igniters and wadding etc. Do you think it's still useable? The wadding looks rather yellowed, but I've seen that as long as the engines are stored well, they should be fine. I just wasn't sure about the flame retardant ability of the wadding after who knows how long.

Have you got a hobby store, or even a Hobby Lobby around? Fortunately wadding is fairly cheap, especially at Hobby Lobby in the big bag (225 sheets for about $6.99 last I checked).

Yes, and we have some that I just bought, so we'll be fine. I just wanted to use the old stuff up first if it was viable.

I'm surprised that the old wadding failed your burn test. I will have to try that with some older wadding I have. I have been using it assuming that it would be OK.

Flameproof tissue paper squares (Decopuffs) used for making parade floats are larger and sturdier than Estes wadding, and are quite cheap especially in bulk.
This is what I believe Quest wadding is (including that which is included with Q-Jet motors).

I used to have an old package of Centuri cotton wadding that must have been 30 years old, I used it until it was all gone. It worked fine.

Also, the least expensive wadding is flame resistant cellulose insulation. You buy it at a building center. It’s recycled paper and bio-degrades quickly.
Do not get blow in fiberglass!

Ah yes. Cellulose insulation. Also known as “dog barf”. I have a love/hate relationship with dog barf. It is cheap. It works. But, it is messy. (But not as messy as the talcum powder on the parachute.)

Also, my experience is that hot ejection gasses sometimes escape around or through the dog barf. To remedy that problem, I have begun putting one square of Estes wadding into the tube before adding the dog barf. That square sort of “seals” the tube.

I guess that begs the question of why I don’t just use all Estes wadding and forego the dog barf? Estes wadding is not THAT expensive, after all. A little goes a long way.

In favor of using dog barf and one sheet of Estes wadding, I guess one sheet of Estes wadding plus some dog barf is still more environmentally friendly than 3 or 4 sheets of just Estes wadding as the dog barf is more biodegradable. Plus there is less “litter” on the flying field when I use just one sheet of Estes wadding and some dog barf.

I have a couple of packages of Estes wadding from the 1990’s that I still use. I have not experienced any problems when l launch rockets with wadding from those packages. I have not, however, closely inspected the used wadding when I find it on the flying field. I will try the flame test to see if the old wadding is still flame retardant.

Finally, on larger diameter rockets (BT-55 and larger), I will sometimes just install a Nomex blanket on the shock cord. More expensive and heavier than wadding but it is a non-messy, 100 percent environmentally friendly alternative to using wadding.

So long as it's damp, it really doesn't matter. It just needs to pass the energy of the charge along while blocking burning particles and not combusting. Anything form of lettuce that isn't dried out should fit that bill nicely.

The trick to preventing hot particles from getting through the cellulose insulation is to compress it the right amount - not so tight it won't come out of the tube, but enough to squish out the voids. We encourage people to use it at our flying site because it doesn't make it look like we scattered toilet paper around all over the field. And it is insanely cheap - one $12 bundle from Lowe's lasted the club about 4 years, which equates to several thousand flights. Net cost is a fractional penny per flight. I'm pretty sure that beats lettuce by a wide margin.

Back