Does anyone know much about electronics / LEDs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
I am quite handy with all things crafty and home improvement, but I have never been much good with electrical.

Ever since XPRS this year, my son is set on us making a cool night launch rocket. I want to make a flier that has a bunch of high powered blinky LEDs poked through holes all over the body tube. My problem is how to wire them up. I've taken apart a couple of little toys with blinky LEDs and they are simple and light. They all seem to run on a few 1.5V coin cell batteries.

LED.jpg

https://www.windycitynovelties.com/271c/blinkies.html

Anyway, does anyone know the easiest way to wire up a bunch of LEDs and power them with some AA batteries? I've looked at all the electrical supply places online and there is a ton of cheap stuff, but now I'm more confused than ever.

probably not. leds are particuler about supply voltage and that usually varies by color and type. also the 'power supply' is probably only set up for one light.
rex

The thing to remember with LED's is that they have POLARITY and will light when the polarity is right and won't when the polarity is backwards. Also, an LED has low internal resistance and will allow too much current to flow, burning out the semiconductor bridge (which actually emits the light photons and acts as a 'one way valve', allowing electrons to travel through it in one direction but not in the other. You have to use a resistor to limit the amount of current going through the LED to prevent it from burning out.

You can wire them up in series circuits, parallel circuits, or combinations of the two. Realize of course that like old christmas tree lights, wiring them up strictly in series will result in one failed or bad connection breaking the entire circuit and making them all go dark. Parallel circuits don't have this problem. As for flashers and stuff, well, you're on your own there... you'll have to find one that works for you... and wire it up accordingly...

That's pretty much the most I can tell you... Later and good luck with your project! OL JR :)

The thing to remember with LED's is that they have POLARITY and will light when the polarity is right and won't when the polarity is backwards. Also, an LED has low internal resistance and will allow too much current to flow, burning out the semiconductor bridge (which actually emits the light photons and acts as a 'one way valve', allowing electrons to travel through it in one direction but not in the other. You have to use a resistor to limit the amount of current going through the LED to prevent it from burning out.

You can wire them up in series circuits, parallel circuits, or combinations of the two. Realize of course that like old christmas tree lights, wiring them up strictly in series will result in one failed or bad connection breaking the entire circuit and making them all go dark. Parallel circuits don't have this problem. As for flashers and stuff, well, you're on your own there... you'll have to find one that works for you... and wire it up accordingly...

That's pretty much the most I can tell you... Later and good luck with your project! OL JR :)

He speaks the truth!

You need a current limiting resistor in series with the LED's.

There are kits available if you want to get your feet wet. Leading Edge Rocketry has a couple really nice ones that aren't too tough. Their kits come complete and the instructions are great - makes a seemingly difficult job pretty easy.

I helped a friend make this night rocket last year, with 99 Green LED's, and it was pretty awesome. Beyond awesome. Less awesome however was the fact that the four of us frantically prepping it at night in the dark failed to notice the "This way up" arrow on the RDAS...

389298_10150902182875556_721575520_n.jpg

Skywalkerpost (3).jpg

Skywalkerpost (1).jpg

'nuff said.

The middle photo, you can see the faint trace of the green-lighted rocket on it's death-dive in the left part of the frame. Shot by CarVac.

As far as I know, you only need a resistor if your power supply is 12 volts. Most LEDs I've worked with will light on 3 volts. Check the specs of the LEDs you'll be using.

As far as I know, you only need a resistor if your power supply is 12 volts. Most LEDs I've worked with will light on 3 volts. Check the specs of the LEDs you'll be using.

In practice that might sometimes be okay because the small battery you're using has a high enough internal resistance, acting as its own limiting resistor. But generally speaking, the diode is kind of like a short circuit in one direction, so hooking up straight to a battery will draw as many amps as the battery can produce. If that current (amps) is more than the diode can handle, it will burn out. I'm guessing that anecdotally this rule might work only because smaller batteries tend to be capable of producing less current.

I guess you can say I know about LED lighting

ani_diabglo.gif

DSCF1139.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1099.jpg

DSCF1098.jpg

LED's go amock at my home.
Preprogrammed LED
LED controlled by Micro's
Designed Diab-glo for BSD.
Designed nitebow 5 for Wildman rocketry.
and starting very soon a Sale of prototype designs, here on the forum.

And yes that center pic is a Full size Thor-glo 4" fin can.

Animation1.jpg

Diab-Glo.gif

Diab-Glo 1.jpg

There are some new easy to use led options that are out there. An example is here. Search on ebay for 300 leds for many other listings. These are 3528 SMD LED based in a self adhesive strip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z7IHHQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are also the 5050 led based strips that are color changing with control electronics.

https://www.flexfireleds.com/pages/Comparison-between-3528-leds-and-5050-leds.html

I have seen both of these types at recent night launches and they work very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some new easy to use led options that are out there. An example is here. Search on ebay for 300 leds for many other listings. These are 3528 SMD LED based in a self adhesive strip.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Z7IHHQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are also the 5050 led based strips that are color changing with control electronics.

https://www.flexfireleds.com/pages/Comparison-between-3528-leds-and-5050-leds.html

I have seen both of these types at recent night launches and they work very well.

I recently bought a 300 LED strip on flea-bay, it's a pretty neat unit. The one I bought is RBG, came with the controller, AC adapter, remote control, and an extra pig-tail for a battery. My intent is to put this entire strip into the nosecone I got from Don (DLB) a while back. Need to figure out battery requirements, plugged into the wall it's insanely bright!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/150862106647?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure wish our clubs held night launches.

I wish we could too. It's hard to justify the time and cash for rockets that I get a two hour window/year opprotunity to fly. The fact that my success rate over the last three years is only 25% doesn't help much either...:(

I wish we could too. It's hard to justify the time and cash for rockets that I get a two hour window/year opprotunity to fly. The fact that my success rate over the last three years is only 25% doesn't help much either...:(

You can fly your night rocket at daytime launches, too...

Why do you only get two hours a year to fly? And I find it hard to believe that you have a 75% failure rate. I don't think I have a 75% failure rate even with paint!

Why do you only get two hours a year to fly? And I find it hard to believe that you have a 75% failure rate. I don't think I have a 75% failure rate even with paint!
The only night launch in my range of events happens at Midwest Power, 8pm to 10pm, Saturday night of the event weekend. As far as my luck (ugly), first night launch was an Estes Astrobeam on a D24. No ejection, resulting in disaster. Second, Leading Edge Rocketry "Fireball" on an AT G75. This was successful and cool! Third (same night as Fireball) Leading Edge Rocketry "Alien" - CTI G106(?) skidmark with no ejection charge. Too bad that wasn't known before the button was pushed. Most recent - Wildman Dra-Glo. Still not sure what the motor issue was, total destruction of booster. Sometimes I wonder what keeps me going on this...
wreckage.jpgPIC_3130.jpg

The only night launch in my range of events happens at Midwest Power, 8pm to 10pm, Saturday night of the event weekend. As far as my luck (ugly), first night launch was an Estes Astrobeam on a D24. No ejection, resulting in disaster. Second, Leading Edge Rocketry "Fireball" on an AT G75. This was successful and cool! Third (same night as Fireball) Leading Edge Rocketry "Alien" - CTI G106(?) skidmark with no ejection charge. Too bad that wasn't known before the button was pushed. Most recent - Wildman Dra-Glo. Still not sure what the motor issue was, total destruction of booster. Sometimes I wonder what keeps me going on this...
View attachment 105342View attachment 105343
......because everyone loves a good train wreck:)

We have two night launches a year with my local club. Add in two a year with the Phoenix Club and two consecutive night launches at Plaster Blaster and I have at least six opportunities a year. (not counting the time a NSL or LDRS is within driving range). As it becomes more popular it is fun to see what every one comes up with. A great opportunity to "Shine" without having to invest a fortune. Great fun.

https://fotos.nahcpj.com/sara_10132012

https://fotos.nahcpj.com/ghs2012/night1

Back