Do you have a Rocket Albatross?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have more trouble with white paint than any other color. Doesn't matter if it's Krylon or Rusto.
The Odessa was going to be mostly white. But after several bad attempts with white I gave up and painted it blue and yellow. Hence the name. Have you tried Kobra low pressure? That's what I use for white and I've never had a problem

I have only tried Gloss White from Rustoleum and Krylon. I suspect it's the Gloss that is a problem because I recently used Semi-gloss White from Rustoleum and it was an absolute pleasure in comparison. I may use that in place of Gloss white from here on.

Last edited:
Need some help...
1A) Which color should I go with for the inside of the tube-fins. (Yellow or Red)

1B) Which color for the nosecone. (Black, Yellow, Red, White) [ Note sure about black, it absorbs too much heat for the tracker/battery inside the nose.]
Here are a few versions whipped up VERY quickly in an image editor.
View attachment 566352View attachment 566353View attachment 566359View attachment 566360View attachment 566361

2) Please throw out some name ideas... I keep wanting to change to synonyms, or other languages of "tube", "fin", & "rocket". (ie The Cylindrical Airfoil Booster [ The C.A.B. ] is one I am thinking of.) But I am note sure... The kids haven't come up with anything either.

Thanks for any opinions, thoughts, and ideas.
The yellow. And Tuba. I have a tube fin rocket and that's what I called mine.

Here's mine... an Estes Canadian Arrow and it's a doozie. I've loved the CA since I found out about it and already have multiple Stickershock decals for it as well as upscale.

Last year or so I figured it's time to finally build one.

I started on an Estes kit I got used off ebay and right off the bat the body tube was a bit oval, but I figured the tail cone, centering rings and nose would hold it round (I was mistaken).

Then I papered the fins as I used to do many times with self-adhesive label sheets, but after priming it bubbled, wrinkled and lifted up in spots (had never happened to me so badly before).
View attachment 562828
I tried cutting the bubbled areas and using CA to glue it back down, but it was pretty much a fail.
View attachment 562829
You'll also notice the paint sprayed on as a mess with almost stucco quality.

I'm still pondering how to fix all of this mess, but I'll update with after results I'd I'm successful.

I'd guess you can see why I've put off fixing this one!
With the papering issue... Did you allow it to dry before you started cutting? Every time that has happened to me, I set it aside out of frustration, and when I came back to fix the damage (days or weeks later), there wasn't anything to fix.

Then again I don't use self-adhesive labels. I do however make sure to seal the edges with CA before painting

My Estes Executioner is the closest rocket to an albatross in my battery - it built ok but it’s been one hard luck flyer - probably crashed it nearly as many times as I’ve launched it successfully. It’s pretty much retired to display duty unless I really get an irresistible urge to do some repair work.
Yes!! Executioner.

1st flight: Too windy, weathercocked, deployed in cruise missile mode. Estes plastic chute ripped right off. Luckily, minimal damage.
2nd flight: E26-4 Qjet, nozzle blew out, just barely cleared the rod before falling to ground. Ejection charge didn't blow, so I......
3rd flight: reloaded it with another E26-4. Chuffed a few times, cleared the launch rod, then fell to the ground apparently dead. But then the motor re-lit and it took off across a gravel parking lot. Stopped in a mud puddle. I yelled: "Come on ejection!" Which it did. The gravel scraped off considerable paint, so it went into the body shop.
4th flight: E12-4, flight went very well, until... New JLCR was faulty (was subsequently sent in for repair after 5th flight). So the chute didn't open. Curiously, the rocket came down completely parallel to the ground. No damage.
5th flight: E26-4, flight identical to the 4th. JLCR fail.
6th flight: E20-4. Ejection charge never fired. Lawn dart, rocket destroyed.

So I was 0 for 6.

I had papered the balsa fins with CA. Through all this, the fins never failed. Even after the lawn dart.

Hans.

With the papering issue... Did you allow it to dry before you started cutting? Every time that has happened to me, I set it aside out of frustration, and when I came back to fix the damage (days or weeks later), there wasn't anything to fix.

Then again I don't use self-adhesive labels. I do however make sure to seal the edges with CA before painting
I had used self-adhesive label sheets. I used to use Avery, but more recently used some from Amazon, so maybe that was the issue.

All of ‘em! Every single rangdangnabbit one of them. The ones still in bags are worse. At least the voices are muffled a bit. Nag, nag, nag.

Building the machine that builds my rocket (tubes) for me:

View attachment 566379
That DIN rail setup looks strikingly similar to what I have going for my telescope servo controller.
D20221101_162522.jpeg
But mine's not really an albatross (albatross! ALBATROSS!! ... ) as much as a big hairy yak-shave of a large project with machining, optics, electronics, fiberglass refinishing, electromech design, etc.

For me, it's corn. That rocket hated me.

You either understand that reference, or you don't.

But the last remnant of it is officially No Longer My Problem.

-Kevin

For me, it's corn. That rocket hated me.

You either understand that reference, or you don't.

But the last remnant of it is officially No Longer My Problem.

-Kevin
Brings a whole new meaning to "children of the corn", eh?

Went with the yellow.... it's got some small issues, but once it gets dragged thru a plowed field they'll blend right in.
20230414_154828.jpg

Now to finalize the name and cut some vinyl.

Then assemble the recovery system, and fly!

I have a rocket albatross issue: I'm making a rocket out of random bits chosen from the parts bin at eRockets -- a 2.6" tube, 29mm motor mount, plywood fins and a plastic nose cone. The plywood fins are a little thin, so I papered them with cardstock for added stiffness. Then I thought I would add a layer of epoxy over the fins. That turned out to be a mistake because somehow, the epoxy didn't mix enough as I applied it with a paintbrush, and now I have a rocket that refuses to "dry". It's sticky, but not runny. It has hardened enough to be solid, but not enough that my fingers stick to it and leave behind fingerprints. I applied the epoxy on Monday, today is Friday and I'm still in sticky-land.

I then sprayed it with primer, hoping the paint would seal it, but the paint actually didn't even stick to one section, and now it seems like even the paint isn't drying, even on the nosecone, which was never even hit with epoxy, so, no I just have no idea what's going on. The Paint is sticky too, although none comes off on my fingers, it just feels wrong.

This rocket is refusing to be completed. I'm in no rush as I'm not probably going to fly this until August, but still, this is weird...

I have a rocket albatross issue: I'm making a rocket out of random bits chosen from the parts bin at eRockets -- a 2.6" tube, 29mm motor mount, plywood fins and a plastic nose cone. The plywood fins are a little thin, so I papered them with cardstock for added stiffness. Then I thought I would add a layer of epoxy over the fins. That turned out to be a mistake because somehow, the epoxy didn't mix enough as I applied it with a paintbrush, and now I have a rocket that refuses to "dry". It's sticky, but not runny. It has hardened enough to be solid, but not enough that my fingers stick to it and leave behind fingerprints. I applied the epoxy on Monday, today is Friday and I'm still in sticky-land.

I then sprayed it with primer, hoping the paint would seal it, but the paint actually didn't even stick to one section, and now it seems like even the paint isn't drying, even on the nosecone, which was never even hit with epoxy, so, no I just have no idea what's going on. The Paint is sticky too, although none comes off on my fingers, it just feels wrong.

This rocket is refusing to be completed. I'm in no rush as I'm not probably going to fly this until August, but still, this is weird...
YES. Improperly mixed epoxy is a horrible mess to deal with. I think I read a thread here where there were suggestions to remedy it.

How did you paint the inside of the tube fins?
Since I just painted the ID after everything else... LOTS OF MASKING for everything. Then a tack coat of Rustolium Universal Bonding Primer (White) misted thru the tubes. Then every 3-5 minutes another mist coat till it was a "uniform white". Every coat from slightly different angles so it would cover the full ID. Then gave it 15-20 minutes to flash off a little. Then repeated the process with Krylon Sunbeam Gloss Yellow till it was a bright unifirm yellow...give it 15 minutes for the surface to skin over, and pull all the masking....now it needs a week to cure...

The Canadian Albatross flies!

Windy day at the club, so I had to angle to rod to ensure the rocket on recovery wouldn't get blown into the trees or river behind us (my previous flight landed very close to the river). I think I overcorrected lol!

20230422_114507.jpg
20230422_114512.jpg20230422_120225.jpg

However the Albatross didn't want to let me off too easy and got a bit roasted...

20230422_120340.jpg

YES. Improperly mixed epoxy is a horrible mess to deal with. I think I read a thread here where there were suggestions to remedy it.
i *think* I may have solved my albatross issue. I had improperly mixed epoxy coating the fins and body tube. Some sections dried while other sections remained STICKY for weeks. Here is how I was able to resolve the issue (holding up so far, the acid test is whether I can paint it)....

First I attempted to clean up the sticky, slightly runny part with some alchohol and a paper towel. That worked OK but still left it sticky.

After thinking about that for a while, I realized it was sticky because it was still "moist", and how do you get rid of dampness? With baby powder. I found some talc or cornstarch powder and liberally coated the still damp areas, and rubbed it all over the rocket. FYI DO THIS OUTSIDE. I let that dry for 24 hours.

After that it didn't feel that sticky any longer so I again took the rocket outside and gave it light coat of paint, and let that dry. After that, when I rubbed the rocket, all I felt was paint, and not the sticky feeling of epoxy. So I think I am OK. I am now going to let that dry for 24 hours and if I get a break in the weather this weekend, I will give it another coat of paint and see where we are at.

Currently I am feeling good about this solution and may be past the impasse to where I can finish up this thing and fly it in May.

i *think* I may have solved my albatross issue. I had improperly mixed epoxy coating the fins and body tube. Some sections dried while other sections remained STICKY for weeks. Here is how I was able to resolve the issue (holding up so far, the acid test is whether I can paint it)....

First I attempted to clean up the sticky, slightly runny part with some alchohol and a paper towel. That worked OK but still left it sticky.

After thinking about that for a while, I realized it was sticky because it was still "moist", and how do you get rid of dampness? With baby powder. I found some talc or cornstarch powder and liberally coated the still damp areas, and rubbed it all over the rocket. FYI DO THIS OUTSIDE. I let that dry for 24 hours.

After that it didn't feel that sticky any longer so I again took the rocket outside and gave it light coat of paint, and let that dry. After that, when I rubbed the rocket, all I felt was paint, and not the sticky feeling of epoxy. So I think I am OK. I am now going to let that dry for 24 hours and if I get a break in the weather this weekend, I will give it another coat of paint and see where we are at.

Currently I am feeling good about this solution and may be past the impasse to where I can finish up this thing and fly it in May.
Thanks for the update and tip! I had not heard about using baby powder before, but great to hear it worked. Post pics of it once you've finished! :) 👍

However the Albatross didn't want to let me off too easy and got a bit roasted...

20230422_120340-jpg.576671
Update: the dirty birdy cleaned up well using disinfectant wipes!

20230428_121838.jpg

IiiISandpaper, rough to fine grit and filler of any type are your friends. That along with lots of elbow grease!

Here is my model rocketry Albatross:
View attachment 562836
Tail burn and lable paper delaminated due to heat from motors, flight stress and flexing, and finally landing impact. Fix with thin CA whete applicable and ignore the rest. No one cares, they just want to see it fly.
View attachment 562837
Horrible crash when only two motors lit on the 11th flight. Just broken up pieces in a garbage bag now.

Not an Albatross but a Whooshing Crane that had two major rebuilds after E12 CATOS. SUPERGLUE and left over model paint were my friends.
View attachment 562838
View attachment 562839
View attachment 562840
After repair. Good enough, call it patina! Ready for another E12 cluster!

Tear or sand the nasty bits off, cover them up with filler, sand it off and paint. No need to be perfect because it will just be beat up and broken again when flown. No Shelf Queens! No Albatrosses! Model rockets must FLY AND BE FREE!

Singing: Born free, as free as the wind blows...

I can't tell from these pictures - if that was an Albatros D1 or D3, not that it matters. Both were German aircaraft from WWI. Their top speed would - may have been maybe 200mph if that. Two E12 motors may have been too much for a paper and wood craft - that I would think too "draggy." I am just guessing. It looked like nice work before this misfortune. Are you going to rebuild it?

c0c0m0ke

I can't tell from these pictures - if that was an Albatros D1 or D3, not that it matters. Both were German aircaraft from WWI. Their top speed would - may have been maybe 200mph if that. Two E12 motors may have been too much for a paper and wood craft - that I would think too "draggy." I am just guessing. It looked like nice work before this misfortune. Are you going to rebuild it?

c0c0m0ke
Albatross DV on three F15 4. The thread is here on the forum. No rebuild planned.

Back