A Different Kind of Albatross

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The title of this thread led me to expect something different when I opened it. Have you got a project that just won't get done? Something that's been in your build pile forever, or is sitting half finished? Not screwed up, merely never getting fully built despite all the good intentions.

I have two. First is my two stage conversion of a Quest Terrier-Orion. The initial design and assembly seemed to go smoothly enough. The combination staging and rear ejection of the booster's streamer needed ground testing, and I screwed the test up - not the rocket, but the test - and blew up the booster. Years later, the rebuild finally commenced, and then I realized I'd made a serious design mistake. A forum member generously made me some new centering rings I need to correct it, and now I've misplaced them.

The other is the LOC EZ-I65 that I plan to use for an L2 cert flight. I got part way through and then hung up in a state of analysis paralysis over the recovery and e-bay configuration. And I've now realized, as with the Terrier-Orion, that I've made a mistake or two before now, which will probably need moderate to major surgery to fix.

Both of these have been with me for over ten years. Both, of course, have gone through long periods of out-of-sight-out-of-mind, and of me feeling overwhelmed by the thought of picking up something so long troubled.

My Estes Omegas... Took quite a while to get more than one. For my dream project, I need either an exact copy, or an original, for filming purposes (period piece, set in the 70s). Once I secured the second one, I had a horrible time trying to get things painted as my landlord was extremely sensitive to the smell of paint, and it was a PITA to get something painted and offgassed before bringing it into the house. There was also the lack of income issues too... I was unemployed during the time I was attending University, and money was a huge crunch. Then I moved to China. I've been here for the better part of 8 years, but I have yet to find filler primer paint.

Yup, the Polecat 5.5" Mercury Redstone generously gifted to me by a fellow club member. It has sat in the rocket room mostly finished, except for some finish work and the AV bay (and painting of course) for about 5 years.
I will finish it.
I promise!

ha yeah, Saturns... masking and painting... that's why I have 7 or 8 in boxes...

probably the worst stalled construction is my OG Orbital Transport. stopped midway through cutting out all the balsa parts. just can't face it. 20 years ago.

this is the Golden Age of Rocketry, with laser cut parts. don't let anyone say different.

second in line is my upscale LOC Starfighter, 2 green crayon banks. built the wings, cut all the parts... and stopped. dunno why.

And the other 300 kits can just wait their turns. Not naming and shaming, they know who they are.

probably the worst stalled construction is my OG Orbital Transport. stopped midway through cutting out all the balsa parts. just can't face it.
Just in case it helps to mention it, fresh x-acto blades make cutting balsa easy, and a little patience makes the shapes come out right. Don't rush the cuts.

Latest posts

Back