Do I live in the sci-fi Eureka?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loved visiting my aunt and cousins up North when I was a kid. They lived in Trinidad, same side of the highway as the Driftwood Inn, but with a gravel road between their house and the Driftwood Inn. Lots of beach-combing fun. Don't know if the Driftwood Inn is still there, since it's been almost 50 years.

Saw Todd Rundgren back in '74 in San Diego, he was hanging from wires atop this huge pyramid. He killed Black Maria, probably his best song unless you prefer the pop song I Saw the Light.

Saw Todd Rundgren back in '74 in San Diego, he was hanging from wires atop this huge pyramid. He killed Black Maria, probably his best song unless you prefer the pop song I Saw the Light.

I like the Hermit of Mink Hollow and Something/Anything albums and most of the Utopia stuff. I have a songlist of the newer stuff I listen to when I'm gameing trying to get into the new stuff, it doesn't seem to be as accessable if you know what I mean. There's nobody new I really like, musicianship seems to have gone out the window and all there is is drivel :p

I was trying to figure out what this had to do with anything, but I think I sorted it out. Carry on.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2013/dec/8/chp-reporting-pedestrian-struck-vehicle/

CHP Reporting Pedestrian Struck by Vehicle [Not as Originally Reported—But It is Still an Interesting Story]

UPDATE 9:40 P.M.: According to Sgt. Larry Depee of the California Highway Patrol, the incident turned out to be quite different than initially reported.
Depee explained that a Good Samaritan was driving down Walnut and spotted a man apparently passed out beside the road. Concerned for the man’s well-being, the Samaritan pulled over beside the road and called 911 for help. The wailing siren from the approaching ambulance aroused the possibly intoxicated man who immediately jumped to his feet and sprinted away…only to slam into the Good Samaritan’s vehicle. The vehicle was slightly damaged. The man less so. The Humboldt Co. Sheriff took him away… .

LoCO wants to note that, on such a cold night, the Good Samaritan could well have saved a life…even though the story turned out unexpectedly badly for the kindhearted soul.

There is nothing unusual about the area.

Kinetic-Sculpture-Race-2013-Mr-Fish.jpg

You're absolutely right! That's very bizarre and unnatural that anyone would hang sheets in their window instead of curtains! Right-on, dude!

The Littoral zone spans the immediate coastline and beaches, the intertidal zone, and the shallow nearshore and offshore waters to depths of about 200'.

Littoral_Zones.jpg

The Navy hasn't had much operational capability in this area since WW2 and this became an area of interest in the late 90's. The perceived need was for fast, lightweight, shallow draft, multi-mission ships that can transport and insert men, arms, fuel and supplies, transport vehicles, small watercraft, helicopters and special forces directly to an unimproved beachhead. Large open spaces and rapidly interchangeable mission modules for command/control and defense were desirable. Coastal catamaran ferries from Incat represented a virtually COTS solution.

DoD procured 3 prototype vessels: USS Joint Venture (HSV-X1); USS Swift (HSV-2); and USVA Spearhead (TSV-1X). First 2 ships were operated by the US Navy and could carry 600 tonne cargo. The third vessel is operated by the US Army and can carry 1200 tonne cargo. The ships are beachable and have drive of cargo ramps and are frequently used as disaster relief vessels to deliver supplies and to act as a medical center for casualties. For military missions, various weapon systems can be installed on the flight deck.

JointVenture_1.jpg
a7be14e0f5af0dadc20fa8ebfeab_grande.jpg

2004_10_12_tsv1x_ian_johnson_g.JPG

These cats are fast. The Spearhead can deliver a dozen tanks with all necessary support in under 10 days anywhere in the world covering 1100 miles in 24 hour. It can respond to humanitarian needs in similar timeframe and is totally self-sufficient with roll-on/roll-off capability.

Unfortunately the Navy has never liked transport, so they have rejected the cats in favor of the littoral ships: the monohull USS Freedom (LSC-1); and the trimaran USS Independence (LSC-2). Both only carry about 200 tonne.

lcs.jpg

To me. these ship don't offer the multi-mission and cargo capability of the cats, and aren't much different that the frigates and destroyers we have now, except that they are smaller and less capable.

Bob

Back