DigBaddy's "Retro Thingamabob" Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had the urge to build something maybe a little retro sci-fi-ish, so I'm starting on it. I had a few active brainwaves that resulted in good ideas, so it was time to get going. There isn't much there yet, but I hope to make something functional and decent looking. Still designing in my head, on paper and in OpenRocket. It might be stable, it might not, we'll find out! When in doubt, more nose weight! Right?

Base parts, a rounded NC, some BT60 where some was removed due to manufacturing failure, and a "nozzle" (might not be used). Got basswood and balsa aplenty and all kinds of fun sizes of polystyrene stuff (thanks @Sandy H. ). Not sure on recovery gear. Might need to make a chute for it. Mylar for sure! Most importantly, I have thoughts doing their best Pong imitation inside my head.

I played with a finishing technique today, but you'll have to wait to see it. It turned out better than anticipated. Made the best looking toilet paper tube ever.

Some of the parts.

View attachment 516070

Low on BT60 24mm CRs, so I get to make some the hard way.

View attachment 516072

You have to have patience when cutting out cardboard with a hobby knife.

Back