Derek Deville's Qu8k

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ED, you are correct, and can some one please explain the reference to the pic with the black guy and the white chick?

I believe this is a reference to "don't steel the spotlight". I do not know the names, but believe the Lady won an award, and then the "Gentleman" jumped up on stage, and took the Mic from her, to tout his views'

ED, you are correct, and can some one please explain the reference to the pic with the black guy and the white chick?

Basically, Taylor Swift was receiving an award for best music video, but Kanye West interrupted her (on stage!) and started talking about Beyonce. A very awkward/inappropriate moment, sort of a "steal the spotlight from someone else" thing.

Its not great quality, but this is what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsnv6uYD7LA

I loved the video. I'm not very familiar with this type of thing, but do people who build and launch these need to get any sort of FAA approval? Do they need to let the authorities know so a def con 1 isn't presumed?

I loved the video. I'm not very familiar with this type of thing, but do people who build and launch these need to get any sort of FAA approval? Do they need to let the authorities know so a def con 1 isn't presumed?

Class 3 rockets (>=P) require a detailed application to the FAA/AST at least 45 days in advance. Tripoli will help members with the application at least 90 days in advance:
https://tripoli.org/Launches/FAAClass3Requirements/tabid/266/Default.aspx

This the most amazing ametuer rocketry thingy I've ever seen. 120K feet???? Curvature of the earth and dark space??? Chute deployment in near weightlessness??? WTH?! Shock and Awe, truly.

But now that i've seen it, i'm completely bummed out. That's because I know i'll never be able to achieve something like that, not even close to that. Can you imagine building a rocket that can enter space and return with such awesome video? I don't have the funds, the tools, or the know-how to pull off something like that. I look at my own rockets now, and they look like cheap children's toys:( I've been excited about launching my biggest rocket ever on February 11, and now.... :sad:

Hats off to you Derek, you've accomplished an amazing feat... even if you did CATO my bubble.

Time to step up my game and start getting serious about rocket building

Okay...dumb question time:

- What is case bonding?

- What is fin-o-cyl grain?

- What is the benefit of that funky interior grain shape?

Just saw the question, months late but maybe you're still wondering:

-Bonding the propellant to the interior case wall

-Improved volumetric loading
-Improved mass ratio
-Improved resistance to grain collapse
-Difficult to handle (larger batch sizes, long grain, mandral extraction, etc)

-A grain configuration.

-Mass flow rate in a solid rocket motor is directly related to burning surface. Changing the burning surface through shape will result in thrust curve changes.
-Can help increase volume loading
-Can effect combustion stability if improperly implemented
-Difficult to create (complex mandral, mandral extraction)

-See above

Back