Der Red Max, waterslide decals were not my thing..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I messed up a few then found a better way to get them on. But the skull isn't centered or it would be perfect to me..guess I'll have to buy another one. Still have more to do but a fin repair was necessary so ill have to wait foe the other side..

Attachments

• IMG_20230724_185913_370.jpg
    IMG_20230724_185913_370.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230724_175711.jpg
    20230724_175711.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
As with all things, there are many variations of the decal application process that will all work. That said, a few comments:

1) The key to being able to adjust the decal position on the rocket is simply to wet the surface before you apply the decal. No soap or other additional materials necessary. Usually my sequences is to (a) get the decal soaking, (b) wet the target surface with a cheap paintbrush, and (c) apply the decal. After the decal is in place, use a cotton swab to squeegee out the excess water under the decal (it is preferable to roll the swap, rather than wipe it, to avoid damaging the decal).

2) One thing I learned more recently is that you don't need to let the decal soak under water for the full duration. If you simply dunk it for a few seconds and then take it out and put it on a paper towel it will eventually soften up just fine. What concerns me about very long-duration soaks is that too much of the glue will dissolve into the water, leaving the decal with a less-secure bond to the rocket surface. I also don't let my decals get *that* loose on the paper.

3) when you have two hands free (as opposed to using one hand for the camera), a common technique is to slide the decal slightly off the paper, hold that end down with one hand will pulling out the paper with the other. The technique you showed will probably be troublesome for larger decals, although fine for smaller ones.

As with all things, there are many variations of the decal application process that will all work. That said, a few comments:

1) The key to being able to adjust the decal position on the rocket is simply to wet the surface before you apply the decal. No soap or other additional materials necessary. Usually my sequences is to (a) get the decal soaking, (b) wet the target surface with a cheap paintbrush, and (c) apply the decal. After the decal is in place, use a cotton swab to squeegee out the excess water under the decal (it is preferable to roll the swap, rather than wipe it, to avoid damaging the decal).

2) One thing I learned more recently is that you don't need to let the decal soak under water for the full duration. If you simply dunk it for a few seconds and then take it out and put it on a paper towel it will eventually soften up just fine. What concerns me about very long-duration soaks is that too much of the glue will dissolve into the water, leaving the decal with a less-secure bond to the rocket surface. I also don't let my decals get *that* loose on the paper.

3) when you have two hands free (as opposed to using one hand for the camera), a common technique is to slide the decal slightly off the paper, hold that end down with one hand will pulling out the paper with the other. The technique you showed will probably be troublesome for larger decals, although fine for smaller ones.
Ok! Awesome info. I tried these as a kid and was never good, and just got worse. It seems to work well for the bigger ones too, I just was so worried about getting that bigger decal at the top of the body tube on without messing it up, and realized it wasn't where I wanted it. I was trying to make a video for my friend to show him (its a horrible video I know) and figured I might as well video some, to go back and see what I'm doing wrong. Which was kind of the reason for posting some someone like you would see it!

#1. Ok, understand. I just used warm water and let it soak, and thought about even putting a heating pad under it to keep it warm while I'm doing this it takes a while. I used then a paper towel to just "dab" it, I had that happen before when you push too hard on the sticker, and it comes up with the paper towel, but I have cotton balls. I didn't use anything but warm water so next time I'll try them instead of paper towels

#2. I'll have to try that that over just letting it soak. That top decal was badly done, thank goodness for sharpies! It was hard with that Der Red Max kit, they give you decals you have to cut out, and then they have decals that are pre-cut, but on the same backing paper. It seemed if I let it soak a little longer, more of the glue and/or adhesvie they use, it gives you more time move it around. But for me just getting it to move off that backing paper, the moving it up just in place while I slide the paper out a little, and then using a toothpick or tweezers that I purpose bought/tweaked a little from the dollar tree work well to hold it. But I got to the point of just using my finger or fingernail to hold it. That Top sticker, I used that method but was so concerned about not messing it up, I got the skull a little off from where I wanted it. And it was too late at that point and I tried moving it and started to mess it up, so I just left it be.

#3. Yeah its hard to see in that video, but di change it up to that after this. I was always ok with them, do great with one but never consistently . Then completely mess up the next one, or 2, or 3, or 4. So I got frustrated again right before this video, then gave it another try. I've been sooo busy with everything including this, but now I have a break to take a breather. I'll go back and read(re-read and comprehend) all this info again, like you post!

I appreciate the tips and advice, thank you! This means a lot to me right now.

Michael B.

Back