Der Big Red Max to Citation Patriot Conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gldknght

Reaction score
Greeting All
I recently was able to pick up two copies of the Estes Der Big Red Max and the Estes Citation Patriot has always been one of my favorite rockets. So I thought I would build a three inch upscale Citation Patriot.

I also just realized I'm going to need to do a Rocksim file on this to decide if I'm going to need dual deployment at some point.

My first step was to visit Galactic Manufacturing at https://galacticmanufacturing.com/p...ter-citation-patriot-upgrade-deluxe-parts-kit
to order the extra Citation parts.

On a side note, if you are considering ordering anything from them, I highly recommend them. There was an issue with the Usps tracking number for my package and Mike Nowak followed up to make sure my package arrived. They have very quick turnaround times, most excellent customer service.

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_101006.jpg
    IMG_20221028_101006.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice start to a build. I'm planning a very similar build and have the required parts to for the Patriot conversion. You could build it for dual deploy if you like but I'm planning a simple motor ejection with a nose cone separation. I'll be adding a stuffer tube to fill the majority of the empty space so I'm not concerned with ejection. The tube is also large enough for a chute release if I plan to fly high enough to need one.

I'm excited to see this build thread. My own Citation/DBRM upscale parts arrived a few days ago and I ordered decals on Friday. Hoping to tackle this at some point in the next few weeks.

I started working on the motor mount today. The Estes instructions for the Big Red Max have us using the fins as spacers for locating the motor mount centering rings. I started to follow this procedure, using the fins for the upscale Citation Patriot, but only used it to locate the middle ring, for now. I don't want to glue the bottom ring in place till after the fin can is inside the body tube so I can apply some small fillets inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_154418.jpg
    IMG_20221112_154418.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
While trying to line up the centering rings on the motor mount, I noticed the Citation fins fit the center ring notches and the slots in the body tube VERY loosely, so I will probably epoxy some stiff card stock on the side of the fins to tighten up this fit. I will post photos of this process when I get to that point.

I also noted the fins have a small bit of warp to them, so I clamped the fins together with a straight length of aluminum strip and applied CWF to the outsides of the fins. Hopefully, when the CWF dries, the warp will be gone.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_151204.jpg
    IMG_20221112_151204.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221112_152004.jpg
    IMG_20221112_152004.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221112_152025.jpg
    IMG_20221112_152025.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I finally had some time to work on this project again. I couldn't get the warp out of the fins using any method I tried, so I had to paper the fins using heavy card stock and some pretty heavy weights while the gorilla glue on the paper dried. I also have the top centering ring glued in place, so the next step will be to glue the motor mount in the body tube.

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_131638.jpg
    IMG_20221228_131638.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I got the motor mount installed. This was a little bit challenging. I wanted to use the fins to help line the mount up, because the slots in the body tube are a bit longer than they need to be. I needed to position the motor mount middle centering ring with the slot for the fin correctly spaced so the bottom edge of the fin lines up with the bottom edge of the body tube. (see post #7 about the fins fitting very loosely)
I used some 30 minute epoxy so I would have plenty of time to try to get all three fins temporarily in and get the mount positioned. It was sort of like trying to build a jigsaw puzzle in the air, instead of on a flat table!

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_223917.jpg
    IMG_20221228_223917.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 0
I glued my fins on today, added the internal fillets and the aft centering ring. Ref post #7, I love these foam boards for making fin alignment jigs. I cut the slots for the fins a little small, so they hold the fins tight while the epoxy cures.

Attachments

• IMG_20221229_163751.jpg
    IMG_20221229_163751.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221229_163812.jpg
    IMG_20221229_163812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20221229_163833.jpg
    IMG_20221229_163833.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
This thing is starting to look a lot like a rocket. I've attached my very basic Rocksim10 design file.

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_190649.jpg
    IMG_20221230_190649.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DerBigCitationPatriotMax.rkt
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Greeting All
I recently was able to pick up two copies of the Estes Der Big Red Max and the Estes Citation Patriot has always been one of my favorite rockets. So I thought I would build a three inch upscale Citation Patriot.

I also just realized I'm going to need to do a Rocksim file on this to decide if I'm going to need dual deployment at some point.

My first step was to visit Galactic Manufacturing at https://galacticmanufacturing.com/p...ter-citation-patriot-upgrade-deluxe-parts-kit
to order the extra Citation parts.

On a side note, if you are considering ordering anything from them, I highly recommend them. There was an issue with the Usps tracking number for my package and Mike Nowak followed up to make sure my package arrived. They have very quick turnaround times, most excellent customer service.
Or... you could modify my .ork files to do the job...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-files.123564/post-1435001 (Citation Patriot)

1674228694865.png

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-files.123564/post-1598241 (DBRM)

1674228644396.png

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread here but I just noticed my upscaled Patriot Vinyl Decals are for a 2.6" diameter and not 3" inch like the Big Red Max. Is there someone or a site with 2.6" scale birch fins? Mostly I just need the 2.6 scale birch ttw fins really as I have the tubes and centering rings etc.

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread here but I just noticed my upscaled Patriot Vinyl Decals are for a 2.6" diameter and not 3" inch like the Big Red Max. Is there someone or a site with 2.6" scale birch fins? Mostly I just need the 2.6 scale birch ttw fins really as I have the tubes and centering rings etc.
In OpenRocket, you can scale the rocket to 2.6" and then print the fin template. Get plywood from the LHS and use a saw/dremel to cut out the template.

Thanks to Bad Boy Rocketry who cut ttw 2.6" scale ply fins and rings and sent along with their upgraded clone Super Vega, yahoo!

Looks like I'm going to need to un-de-rail my own thread. If you guys want to talk about 2.6 rockets, please take the discussion to a different thread.

While waiting for the primer to dry, I decided I think I'm going to build a piston for getting the laundry out of this one due to the length and volume of this body tube.
I know, I should have installed a longer motor mount tube to fill some of the space, but I didn't think about that until after I had the motor mount assembled.

Attachments

• Citation piston.jpg
    Citation piston.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The paint process is coming along nicely. I got the black fin painted today, but ran out of black, so didn't get the nose cone done. I will let the paint dry for several days, then start putting the decals on.

Attachments

• Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 0
I have ran into several problems here lately with working on rockets that have been recently sprayed, so I give my Rockets at least 3 days before touching them after painting

I glued my fins on today, added the internal fillets and the aft centering ring. Ref post #7, I love these foam boards for making fin alignment jigs. I cut the slots for the fins a little small, so they hold the fins tight while the epoxy cures.

Where did you get the foam boards?

I have ran into several problems here lately with working on rockets that have been recently sprayed, so I give my Rockets at least 3 days before touching them after painting
It'll be at least a week till I get back to this, plenty of drying time, but, I also have an infra-red space heater that I use to speed the drying process.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby also sell foam board in single sheets (large sheets that can easily be cut down) if you don't want to buy 30 pieces

You don't have to buy 30 pieces from Amazon either. They sell several different sizes and bundles. All can be accessed from the link I posted. And the great thing about Amazon, they don't accuse you of stealing stuff and then make you prove you didn't when you leave, like walmart does.

Last edited:
Progress.
It's not finished yet. I still need to attach the piston mentioned in post #21 and purchase a parachute. But, I got the decals applied. I will let them sit for a day or two to make sure there are no air bubbles, then clear coat the rocket.

Citation Patriot missile battery anyone?

Attachments

• Citation Patriot x3.jpg
    Citation Patriot x3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back