Deployment sacks..not bags.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfish

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Deployment bags..to me..means very organized and meticulous thing. Sacks just put the stuff in and be done with it.
I've been using nomex uniform pant legs for Deployment sacks..for a very long lime. The otherday day I got an idea..for obtaining smaller (not big old firefighter sized) bags..

I ran across these.. super adorable...deployment bags (sacks) at Goodwill today. Someone accidentally put them in the little kids pants rack
.20230216_111628.jpg

20230216_111641.jpg

20230216_121636.jpg

20230216_121636.jpg
20230216_123241.jpg

20230216_121959.jpg

Tony

Of all the ways I've seen to recycle jeans, this is a new one. I used to turn them into tripod and light stand carriers.

'Deployment leggings' – call them that and you can charge twice as much!

Tony

PS: I suspect a simple Borax solution could be used to help withstand the effects of a BP charge.

Last edited:
I have plenty of ruined jeans to do this with, but Lol, those ingredients..... Google was not my friend.

I would treat them with a fire retardant like the boric acid (roach killer) and borax that I have used on canvas in the past, denim is pretty much a type of canvas so it should work fine.

I would treat them with a fire retardant like the boric acid (roach killer) and borax that I have used on canvas in the past, denim is pretty much a type of canvas so it should work fine.
Yup, and diammonium phosphate is available as a yeast nutrient from brewing suppliers.

I like these and the whole idea of a deployment sack, especially the recycled materials aspect. I’ve never used one or any other kind of deployment bag. I’ve always folded the chute into a nomex or kevlar blanket, kind of burrito style.

How do you attach the sack to the shock cord? Zip tied? And it looks like it’s attached just above the protective sleeve on the cord, correct?

It looks like the chute is bundled before it goes into the sack, but I’m wondering if maybe it could be loosely packed in.

I like these and the whole idea of a deployment sack, especially the recycled materials aspect. I’ve never used one or any other kind of deployment bag. I’ve always folded the chute into a nomex or kevlar blanket, kind of burrito style.

How do you attach the sack to the shock cord? Zip tied? And it looks like it’s attached just above the protective sleeve on the cord, correct?

It looks like the chute is bundled before it goes into the sack, but I’m wondering if maybe it could be loosely packed in.
you probably could pack it in, but you would need to control the order of deployment otherwise the canopy might get tangled in the shroud lines. D-bags control the deployment completely, the "sack" is akin to a burrito, might still be a good idea to bundle the chute. There are some "mights" in my post so, its entirely possible I am mistaken and of course its my opinion too.

you probably could pack it in, but you would need to control the order of deployment otherwise the canopy might get tangled in the shroud lines. D-bags control the deployment completely, the "sack" is akin to a burrito, might still be a good idea to bundle the chute. There are some "mights" in my post so, its entirely possible I am mistaken and of course its my opinion too.

I always do the z-fold with tape on the shock cord between the booster and chute, so that would go into the sack first at the bottom.

Then for the chute, I always stretch it out from the apex of chute down to the shroud lines, flake out the gores, lay the lines in the center of the chute, then fold the chute up with the lines inside. Then that gets bundled into the burrito. I guess I could do the same and just shove the bundle in the sack on top of the lower shock cord.

And then load the rest of the cord from chute to nosecone into the sack on top of the chute.

What I like about this whole deployment sack idea is that even the cord is protected. And it also seems less prone to having something that’s supposed to be inside the burrito poking out and being exposed.

20230217_140145.jpg
#1 untreated
#2 Treated with Borax only
#3 Treated with Borax and Boric mixture

A s

20230218_121855.jpg

Ground tested...
2 gram charge in a balloon placed in the folded up test piece.

20230218_122423.jpg

All three look and feel the same..not charred or crispy. I'll have to put a few flights with these new 'deployment sacks' and report back.

Tony

I made chute protectors with a similar (maybe the same) recipe and used a propane torch to test. The DIY flame retardant was hugely successful, as things self-extinguished very quickly. I think you may need to re-apply every so often as it made the jeans somewhat crusty and when you fold etc., it gets less crusty, but I've not flown them enough to know for sure. Easy, cheap way to make chute protectors and I like your idea for the sack!

Sandy.

View attachment 564167
#1 untreated
#2 Treated with Borax only
#3 Treated with Borax and Boric mixture

A s

View attachment 564168

Ground tested...
2 gram charge in a balloon placed in the folded up test piece.

View attachment 564169

All three look and feel the same..not charred or crispy. I'll have to put a few flights with these new 'deployment sacks' and report back.

Tony
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/use-of-denim-in-recovery-protectors.168397/post-2180879

So last launch I had my first failure with chute protectors made from denim/canvas and treated with the standard mix boric acid and borax. The cloth would not burn but it definitely continued to smolder after landing and as a test I walked all the way back to near my prep area before putting it out. Wont be using these anymore unless I can come up with a better fire retardant method for them. Most of my chute protectors made with this material have after years gotten lots of holes burned in them.

So last launch I had my first failure with chute protectors made from denim/canvas and treated with the standard mix boric acid and borax. The cloth would not burn but it definitely continued to smolder after landing and as a test I walked all the way back to near my prep area before putting it out. Wont be using these anymore unless I can come up with a better fire retardant method for them. Most of my chute protectors made with this material have after years gotten lots of holes burned in them.
how many flight did you have on them? was this regular thickness..like blue jeans..material?

Tony

If you look at the MSDS of popular commercial fire retartands like this one: https://dri-one.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/DRIONE-mSDS-2023.pdf , 50% of the active ingredient is sulfamic acid. I’m guessing the “proprietary” ingredients are phosphate (phosphorus) and urea which enhances fire retardant effectiveness , but does not have to be disclosed because it is not on the list of required disclosures - the government considers pee safe for exposure :)

No idea if this is any better or worse, but this particular commercial brand is primarily used on wood / cellulose materials.

This paper recommends 1 mole sulphamic acid, 1 mole phosphorus acid and up to 18 moles of urea for textiles.

Back