Decal Papers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race58

Reaction score
I was looking on another thread and found some recommendations for decal paper for ink jet printers. Micr-Mark and Kustom seemed to be the best bet.
My question is they both have clear ink jet paper in the 6-7 dollar range for 5 sheets. Kustom also has a "Premium" clear paper for about $2.00 more. Has any body had any experience with this premium paper and is it necessary?

I was looking on another thread and found some recommendations for decal paper for ink jet printers. Micr-Mark and Kustom seemed to be the best bet.
My question is they both have clear ink jet paper in the 6-7 dollar range for 5 sheets. Kustom also has a "Premium" clear paper for about $2.00 more. Has any body had any experience with this premium paper and is it necessary?

I've never bought premium paper that I know of and never had a problem. I buy it off ebay at $1.50 a sheet shipped. I get a 10 pack with 5 clear and 5 white sheets.
Just make sure you take your time and don't rush. I give the ink a full day to dry before I clear coat it with Krylon clear. Then I give the clear a full day to dry before I apply the decals.

Below is how I used the white paper for white lettering.Make a black background then type white letters. Old Glory needed white stripes so, white paper.

checker1.jpg

capdecal1.jpg

Excellent!! Thanks.:)
I've never bought premium paper that I know of and never had a problem. I buy it off ebay at $1.50 a sheet shipped. I get a 10 pack with 5 clear and 5 white sheets.
Just make sure you take your time and don't rush. I give the ink a full day to dry before I clear coat it with Krylon clear. Then I give the clear a full day to dry before I apply the decals.

Below is how I used the white paper for white lettering.Make a black background then type white letters. Old Glory needed white stripes so, white paper.

Yeah, I didn't know if that had changed so I didn't comment. Last time I tried to order paper from Tom, I was finalizing the order over the phone, and during the last few moments of the converstaion he realized I needed inkjet paper. It was at that moment he told me all he carried was laser and alps paper. I think I was wanting some longer, legal sized sheets, and he seemed to be the only one I could find at the time that had them.

I can highly recommend Bel for their white inkjet paper ... but the clear paper is not so great .. you can never go wrong with micro mark brand. top quality

I just received some of the Kustom clear inkjet paper. (not the deluxe) I haven't used it yet, but it looks and feels like good paper.
The thing that impressed me, shipping was $2.46 (Edit: it was well packed and came us mail.) vs about 10 bux for the bel or micro mark.:surprised: I'll try to let ya lknow how I like it, but I'm not sure I'll have the chance, as were leavin town Friday and there's lots to do.

I'm on my 3rd batch of paper from Kustom Rides. I just got an order a few weeks ago as a matter of fact, and this will be my first time trying the premium grade. Have yet to print anything. He claims the premium is simply a better quality film and takes ink better, "handles higher resolution, better". However, the previous orders of the regular grade paper worked out fine for me, so I'll be testing his claim. Never tried the Bel, but I have ordered some from Papilio that I wasn't super impressed with...especially having already tried the Kustom. The shipping is reasonable from Kustom, and order total ends up being less than Micro Mark, even after selecting premium grade... SwingWing brings up a good point about the shipping cost. I'm wagering the premium grade, at the very least, has got to be on par with MM. The shipping cost difference seals the deal with me. Always well packaged and has always arrived safely from the west coast, within a matter of days of placing the order.

I just received some of the Kustom clear inkjet paper. (not the deluxe) I haven't used it yet, but it looks and feels like good paper.
The thing that impressed me, shipping was $2.46 (Edit: it was well packed and came us mail.) vs about 10 bux for the bel or micro mark.:surprised: I'll try to let ya lknow how I like it, but I'm not sure I'll have the chance, as were leavin town Friday and there's lots to do.

O.K. I used the kustom decal paper on a couple of projects and I love it. If anything, it is a little on the thick side, which only is an issue putting decals on compound curved areas. A decal softener may be requires in those situations.

I've used Bel and Micromark. Bel started out good but eventually got to where it would crack and come apart. Micromark works great. I'll probably try Kustom next if it's just as good....and cheaper. ;)

I bought the Testors decal kit at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon. After firing up the software, I was pretty amazed at how lame it is. But, I figure using the clear spray and the two small sheets will be a good intro for me in making my own decals.

Is the can of decal coating spray from Testors more or less like Dull Coat or Gloss Coat? I recently bought Krylon Acrylic clear, both gloss and matte. Is this suitable for coating a decal sheet?

microscale decal solution works very well , there are other brands such as badger.

microscale%20liquid%20decal%20film.jpg

microscale decal solution works very well , there are other brands such as badger.

Andy, the one and only time I tried using Microscale film on my inkjet decals, it caused the ink to smear a little. Just been using sprays up to this point. Are you brushing it on, or spraying?

Do any of you inkjet people have the problem of the ink fading over time or the printed edges getting fuzzy? All of my "black" decals have turned purple and the reds are becoming pink!:mad:

No problems yet Scott, but the oldest I have are only 3-4 years old. They still look as fresh as the day I put them on. No yellowing yet either. It's a regular sized Orbital Transport clone and has the exact colors you mentioned. I'm sure they will fade after more time goes by, I've seen it happen with pictures. I think it may depend on how much light they are exposed to? My rockets are all stored in th basement, maybe that helps?

Andy, the one and only time I tried using Microscale film on my inkjet decals, it caused the ink to smear a little. Just been using sprays up to this point. Are you brushing it on, or spraying?

You have to dust the inkjet decals with spray to seal them. After that you can stick with the spray or use Microscale to strengthen them if you want. The material is already fairly strong to begin with, so I just use Microscale on ALPS decals and old vintage decals.....oh, and to strengthen my son's Estes Red Max decals, which were terrible.

If you can get access to a color photocopier then you'll find the laser jet paper produces better quality decals. Any of the self-serve office copy places (I go to Fed Ex/Kinkos) is good for this. I print out the patterns I want at home on my ink jet printer on regular copy paper, then take it to a color photocopier at the store. Next, I place my Tango Papa laser jet decal paper in the paper drawer of the color photocopier (when no one's looking because they want you to use their paper only). Then copy and instantly have laser jet quality decals. As for spraying, the Testor's decal coat is good, but anything more than a light mist produces a strange reddish tint.

Do any of you inkjet people have the problem of the ink fading over time or the printed edges getting fuzzy? All of my "black" decals have turned purple and the reds are becoming pink!:mad:

I Haven't seen any issues in the somewhat limited time I have used inkjet decals. I suspect it will vary with the inkjet printers inks. I have used a Cannon photo printer and I think the photo inks are supposed to be UV resistant. Perhaps some of the earlier inks weren't so UV resistant? I know Epson advertises that their ink is bullet proof.

Scott:
Haven't seen any fad in the couple sheets i've had hanging on a drawing board under a flourescent shop light the last couple years. They were "first attempts" with my then New Epson duraprint C88 printer on micro-mark inkjet paper. Krylon Workable fixatif was the only overcoat added. Red's are still nice and deep, edges looks crisp.

The overcoat being UV inhibitive is a good point too, Micro. What did you use as an overcoat, Rokitflite??

Back