"Debris from burning satellites could be affecting Earth's magnetic field"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Perhaps of interest?

Debris from burning satellites could be affecting Earth's magnetic field
News
By Tereza Pultarova
published 15 March 2024

The growing number of satellites burning up in Earth's atmosphere has concerned scientists for years, and now a new paper explores how the emerging shell of "conductive dust" around the planet that results from satellite re-entries may affect Earth's protective magnetic field.

"We're surrounding the planet with trash," Sierra Solter-Hunt, an American physicist and PhD candidate at the University of Iceland, told Space.com. Solter-Hunt is the sole author of the new paper, which has been published in December 2023 as pre-print on the online repository Arxiv and is still awaiting peer-review. Since then, the paper has stirred discussions online. Solter-Hunt is happy about that, even though some consider her conclusions exaggerated.

"I wanted to get the conversation started," she said.

https://www.space.com/satellites-re-entering-magnetosphere-effects-study

It’s on Arxiv…it’ll never see the light of day as it shouldn’t.
The article about the paper is so full of errors and inconsistencies, for example concern over aluminum as a “superconductor”…it is not. Then the author cites the buildup of Aluminum Oxide, which is what you get when a sat burns up…Aluminum Oxide is not a conductor…which is the foundational premise of the paper.

Not a serious person…just trying to drum up press for her “company”.

It’s on Arxiv…it’ll never see the light of day as it shouldn’t.
The article about the paper is so full of errors and inconsistencies, for example concern over aluminum as a “superconductor”…it is not. Then the author cites the buildup of Aluminum Oxide, which is what you get when a sat burns up…Aluminum Oxide is not a conductor…which is the foundational premise of the paper.

Not a serious person…just trying to drum up press for her “company”.
Ding. Ding Ding - you nailed it.

OK, so I went and read the actual paper…it’s worse than the article about the paper…

I’ve had undergraduates write papers with better logical assumptions.

I am sad that I can’t get back the 15 minutes I spent reading that paper…

OK, so I went and read the actual paper…it’s worse than the article about the paper…
As the space economy grows there is probably, even guaranteed, to be a lot more of this as people seek to gain income within that space economy by whatever means they can dream up.
Guess as time passes we'll just have to observe and see which ones get bought in to by whom and which ones do not.

Hmmm. Nickel-Iron isn't conductive? You know, the stuff that's been bombarding the planet for a few billion years?

Back