Dealing with a Commercial CATO

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandman444

Reaction score
Well there's a first for everything.

Last Saturday was my first motor CATO.

An Aerotech F40W-7 reload for the 29/40-120 case.

I have flown the case about 10times, and about 3 had been F40s.

My question is to those who have had Commercial CATOs (specifically Aerotech), what do I do to turn in a claim. I still have a stack of reloads for the case, and would like to have the case replaced.

I wish I could post pictures from my iPhone, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Basically the motor (engine :p ) burned a 1" slit at the bottom of the case through the aft closure. There is no bulging of the case, and the closure unscrewed perfectly as if it wasn't missing the 1/4" of the ring.

The flight was really unique. Basically it was in a scratch built rocket that hadn't flown before, but it is a classic 3FNC TARC rocket that was completely stable. But at launch it sputtered for 1-2seconds, then whooshed off the pad about 25ft and spun around 3-4 times before gravity pulling it toward the ground where it sat for about 5seconds then popped the nosecone.

It seemed to me like the classic unstable rocket, but when I pulled out the motor I saw the hole in the case and saw pictures and video of the launch and indeed it had blown a hole in the side of the case and vectored the thrust through there.

What is the next step for me? I submitted a MESS report online last night so that's taken care of.

Have fun

Bryce

Talk to the vendor you bought the reload from if you can. I've heard that AT is not great about warranty for RMS because of the likelihood that an assembly error caused the problem. Sending email to AT would be another approach -- they're fairly good about replacing SU motors that way and it can't hurt to ask.

Well there's a first for everything.

Last Saturday was my first motor CATO.

An Aerotech F40W-7 reload for the 29/40-120 case.

I have flown the case about 10times, and about 3 had been F40s.

My question is to those who have had Commercial CATOs (specifically Aerotech), what do I do to turn in a claim. I still have a stack of reloads for the case, and would like to have the case replaced.

I wish I could post pictures from my iPhone, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Basically the motor (engine :p ) burned a 1" slit at the bottom of the case through the aft closure. There is no bulging of the case, and the closure unscrewed perfectly as if it wasn't missing the 1/4" of the ring.

The flight was really unique. Basically it was in a scratch built rocket that hadn't flown before, but it is a classic 3FNC TARC rocket that was completely stable. But at launch it sputtered for 1-2seconds, then whooshed off the pad about 25ft and spun around 3-4 times before gravity pulling it toward the ground where it sat for about 5seconds then popped the nosecone.

It seemed to me like the classic unstable rocket, but when I pulled out the motor I saw the hole in the case and saw pictures and video of the launch and indeed it had blown a hole in the side of the case and vectored the thrust through there.

What is the next step for me? I submitted a MESS report online last night so that's taken care of.

Have fun

Bryce

Call aerotech and speak with warranty dept. They will need the hardware, and remnants of the motor(liner ect). If you have not taken it apart, don't.

Talk to the vendor you bought the reload from if you can. I've heard that AT is not great about warranty for RMS because of the likelihood that an assembly error caused the problem. Sending email to AT would be another approach -- they're fairly good about replacing SU motors that way and it can't hurt to ask.

Wildman, Black Saturday Sale. I got them about a month ago.

Unfortunely I have already taken it apart. I still have all the pieces, but I understand what you are saying.

I got them to replace a 29/40-120 motor after mine was blistered by a G138T but it was not easy.

Not sure what caused the blister and didn't know anything had gone wrong until I went to remove the motor from the rocket. It was VERY tight coming out.

I can almost guarantee a proof of purchase, receipt, invoice, etc will be required.

IIRC, it included me sending pics of the damaged case and all the required paperwork including proof of drivers license, TRA certification, being the G138T is a HPR load, about 3 emails and maybe 2 months of waiting.

Also, BE SURE to keep your receipts from now on.

Last edited:
In addition to filing a warranty claim with AeroTech, also be sure to notify NAR and/or Tripoli -- it's important that failures be reported, so they can track any potential problems and get them dealt with.

-Kevin

In addition to filing a warranty claim with AeroTech, also be sure to notify NAR and/or Tripoli -- it's important that failures be reported, so they can track any potential problems and get them dealt with.

-Kevin

Anything in addition to the MESS report?

Back