Damn Thing Almost Landed On My Head.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I agree that Youtube is most convenient by far (and I suggest it for all folks asking how to post video), why is downloading a video file and playing it any sort of a problem?
Probably ignorance on my part. When I watch YouTube or Vimeo, am I actually downloading something or just “watching it”?

formally clicking “download file” to my drive or computer sounds a lot more risky.

Dammit, Jim, I'm a DOCTOR, Not a miracle worker.... My first ever YouTube Post

We had a saying at the Academy, “If the minimum wasn’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum.”

popular among my classmates, less so our commanding officers.........,

well done, @PayLoad

Probably ignorance on my part. When I watch YouTube or Vimeo, am I actually downloading something or just “watching it”?
You are not downloading something.

formally clicking “download file” to my drive or computer sounds a lot more risky.
Fair enough, although I'm not aware of much risk in downloading an MP4 file.

probably true, but a computer virus could be disguised as a video file well enough that some users like me :dontknow:might not recognize them as such

there is no program out there that I cannot easily and with absolutely zero effort or intention screw up.

It's a matter of degree. Download nothing from any unknown source: usually good advice, if not always. Download nothing ever: overly restrictive. Sort of like never leaving the house because you might be hit by a car (or falling rocket).
We had a saying at the Academy, “If the minimum wasn’t good enough, it wouldn’t be the minimum.”
Damn right! I am so sick and tired of hearing "'Good enough' isn't good enough."

I wish they would make these for 18-29 mm body tubes..... take some of the manual case configuration put it as an app on your smartphone to reduce size and weight....go for it guys, I know you can do it, and it expands your market......

I wish they would make these for 18-29 mm body tubes..... take some of the manual case configuration put it as an app on your smartphone to reduce size and weight....go for it guys, I know you can do it, and it expands your market......

The Jolly Logic Chute Release? I agree. I see no need for (nor have I ever seen a need for) duel deploy. This works perfectly

If you are running an anti-virus program like Norton or whatever, and it is up to date, the risk is minimal.

probably true, but a computer virus could be disguised as a video file well enough that some users like me :dontknow:might not recognize them as such

there is no program out there that I cannot easily and with absolutely zero effort or intention screw up.

Your antivirus usually scans all downloads based on its default setting. I rather have a copy that worrying about finding it on your tube in the future.

You are not downloading something.

No if you were downloading, your computer OS would state downloading. You are viewing an embedded video on the web page.

Strictly speaking, yes you are downloading. Data on the remote server comes to your computer to be viewed. It's even stored, temporarily, in cache. The difference between that and what is often called downloading is that a video like this is not kept.

It's very, very unlikely that watching a video, downloading only to play then discard, will get you into any trouble. Not impossible, but so unlikely that the risk/reward for watching thw thousandth funny cat video favors watching.

Back