Damaged G10 fins-Repair Ideas?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talkin Monkey

Reaction score
Was applying the "Final" fillets to my PML Endeavour and accidentally knocked it off of the work area onto a conctrete floor.:mad:

This resulted in tip damage to two of the trailing fins. About a 1/4 inch of fluffy bent over G10.

Before I get all Midieval on these fin tips with a cut-off wheel and sand paper, does anybody know of a way to repair G10 (and retain original fin shape) without getting too happy with fiberglass?

Thanx,
Scott

Some pictures would help.
You could just round them off.

JD

Yes, pictures would help, unfortunately, my camera is currently on its' way to a Florida vacation along with my wife and kids (more unfortunately, I get to stay here and shovel snow):cry:

At any rate, I'm thinkn a "re-shape" is in fact more tangeble than any G10 repairs.

I'm sure this type of damage occurs much more often during flight recovery than "construction incidents" but am curious as to what people in the know do to repair fins and still retain the "lines" of the original design?...Or, do you just get "Creative" with power tools?

Scott

TRA#TBA
WOOSH#TBA

Could you add some honeycomb and light fiberglass and do a tip to tip job? Cut off the portion that is damaged, add the honeycomb and fiberglass and give yourself slightly thicker fins?

Thanx Brad,

..."Honey Comb?"...Have read about this stuff here before but have no idea what it is or where to get it. Anybody have a link or cartoons to help me get a clearer picture of what it is?

I guess at this point, a little fiberglassing wouldn't kill me.

Just round them off. This was done on my "Strech" Sumo (attached) after the end of the fins were bent/melted after a CATO (also attached).

Stretch Sumo.jpg

p6180451.jpg

Thanx Brad,

..."Honey Comb?"...Have read about this stuff here before but have no idea what it is or where to get it. Anybody have a link or cartoons to help me get a clearer picture of what it is?

I guess at this point, a little fiberglassing wouldn't kill me.

Giant Leap sells one version: https://www.giantleaprocketry.com/hpdefault.asp scroll to the bottom and look for the section titled, [SIZE=+1]THE FUTURE OF ROCKETRY HAS ARRIVED...
[SIZE=+2]Aerospace Composite Fins![/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Thanks Brad,

Pretty cool stuff but a little thick for this rocket. Think I'll fire up the old RocSim and play around with the fins. I don't really have that much to cut off. Have a diamond cut-off wheel for my dremel that should work pretty good.:)

I do think it'll work real well for the fins on my L2 rocket when it comes time. I like how they do the airfoils on the site. Need to stick with getting this rocket ready for L1 in the meantime though.:D

Scott

Latest posts

Back