CTI J394 6gXL in MadCow Super DX3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're correct, .. it comes in at 98oz. OpenRocket gives it a .93 (or .98 ?) cal. When I preform the test, physically, it's less than this. Thanks!

Do you have any extra room in the Main and or drogue parachute bays? Any thing you can do to move your recovery gear as far forward as possible and make it stay there will increase your stability factor without needing added weight.
I discovered this trick when balancing my L3 rocket. I built a light weight spacer from a coupler tube and some light weight plywood.
recovery Spacer web.jpg
This is for a 6" airframe but you could make one for any size you like.

Do you have any extra room in the Main and or drogue parachute bays? Any thing you can do to move your recovery gear as far forward as possible and make it stay there will increase your stability factor without needing added weight.
I discovered this trick when balancing my L3 rocket. I built a light weight spacer from a coupler tube and some light weight plywood.
View attachment 125324
This is for a 6" airframe but you could make one for any size you like.

Bill,
I just begun to think about this type of solution, but didn't have a plan on how to hold the recovery gear forward. You're solution is perfect! Well, good thing I still have the original nosecone without the additional weight!

I had also considered adding a piston to hold the recovery gear in the payload section. I thought I might have the piston supported by a bored-out centering ring... that would be the rim that the pistion would rest on. With the weight of the piston, rim, and recovery gear, that should be enough to push the CG forward enough for 1 cal stabilty.

But, of course, weight is weight. I'll have to weigh out your solution, my piston idea, vs my 5oz of birdshot to see if it saves anything.

Thanks for your input!! Pat

Last edited:
Level 1 and Level 2 ,,,, Success! Both flights were perfect! Thanks to all that responded for the help!

Nice! Congrats :) did it end up being a very long walk? Post some pics if you have any!

I arrived there with camera ready to go... and when I turned it on, the camera said "Memory Card Error" !!!!! Todd, of the Albuquerque Rocket Society group took a couple and posted it on their club site at https://arsabq.org I pulled them off their website, but I haven't figured out how to upload them here! I'll post as soon as I learn how.

08c.jpg11c.jpg

The first flight was powered by a CTI H125 (IMO, too small for this bird). The rocket landed less than 100 yards from the pad and topped out at about 1,450 feet. My second flight was a CTI J335. This J335 had a very nice red cone... beautiful (the picture doesn't do it justice!)!! It flew to 4,200 feet with a heavy passenger...... a 10oz Master padlock attached to the nosecone. I left my weighted nosecone at home (the one I added 5oz of birdshot too), so we had to come up with a different solution to push the CG a bit farther forward. My daughter-in-law and I walked about a mile to retrieve it.

I have full flight data from the Telemetrum for the first flight, but on the second flight it QUIT right at apogee when it fired the BP charge! Fortunately, I was intentionally flying with the Main in the booster section (and no drogue in the payload).

Anyway, as all of you can probably remember your cert. flights, it was an exciting day!

That's not good, any idea what happened?

No. It's already been back to Bdale for this problem. He removed the over-current protection from the LiPo, tested it, and returned it to me. Since I was still leary of trusting my cert. flights to it, I flew with motor charge (with the main in the booster) and the Telemetrum with an apogee-only charge wired. As before, at apogee when the Telemetrum charged fired, the Telemetrum quit. I need to add that on the first flight (with the H125), it transmitted all the way to the ground. I've flown it 5 times, and that's the first time that it didn't quit after the apogee charge was fired.

I have just launched my first PerfectFlight Stratologger. It's so nice and simple..... and OMGosh, it WORKS! Fired both charges right where they should have been fired AND I've got data all the way to the ground.

Hmmm...please keep us posted on the TeleMetrum, I hope they're able to figure out the problem. I've got a TeleMini I haven't flown yet so I've been following the battery protection circuit issue. At least they get top marks for responsiveness and PR/damage control in my opinion.

Back