Createx Paint Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrossApproximator

Reaction score
Hi all. Here's a question for those of you who use Createx paints: Can I mix a pearlized color with transparent black to make the pearlized color darker? Also, can I mix some of my pearlescent powder into transparent createx paints to make them pearlized?

Hi all. Here's a question for those of you who use Createx paints: Can I mix a pearlized color with transparent black to make the pearlized color darker? Also, can I mix some of my pearlescent powder into transparent createx paints to make them pearlized?

For the record, I'm still a novice with airbrushing and the Createx paints. But I've used a bunch of Createx Auto Air and Wicked Colors and think I can give some useful answers:

Mixing pearl + black: yes, it will make them darker, but be careful not to get to a muddy color. Usually, you are better off getting a darker base color and mixing them in. So, if you have a nice pearl lime green (W305, say), and wanted to make it darker, you could add in some W059 detail moss green, or W009 Pthalo green. Adding black instead will darken it, but not make it greener. You could also lay the black down as a base coat and put the green over it. Try it on some cardboard.

I use as blanks the white-finished cardstock that is in the soda 24 packs, between the two layers of 12 cans. It mimics a white-primed surface very well.

You can mix you powder into transparent paints to get them to be pearlized. Or you can buy the hot rod sparkle or alumunim flek colors. I've got each and they mix in fine. I've had success mixing some of the wicked and auto-air colors like this. And check out the color chart here:

https://www.tcpglobal.com/createx/pdf/Wicked Colors 2012 Color Chart.pdf

Good luck. Post some results!

Marc

MArc- any probs shooting the flakes? What size tip do you use? I love the color range available but have stayed away from anything heavier than the pearlized stuff. Metallics seem to go thru fine (no pun intended) but some of the powders, I'm still a little leery about. Not a newb, but far from any kinda expert or even passable show quality painter. thx!
( I have a wide range of airbrushes available, chances are I may have what you are using. )

OMG, I think I'm going to have to invest in an airbrush setup. Looking at the color selection and effects selection I think this is what I've been looking for.

MArc- any probs shooting the flakes? What size tip do you use? I love the color range available but have stayed away from anything heavier than the pearlized stuff. Metallics seem to go thru fine (no pun intended) but some of the powders, I'm still a little leery about. Not a newb, but far from any kinda expert or even passable show quality painter. thx!
( I have a wide range of airbrushes available, chances are I may have what you are using. )

Hi guys!

I haven't had any trouble shooting metallic paints, and I imagine fine powders would be OK too. The big stuff, that usually gets blown / sprinkled into a still-soft-tacky coat of clear or candy, probably not.

Here are some representative Createx-line paints I've used successfully:

Metallics1.jpg

In the above picture, you can see Hot Rod Sparkle that looks white but dries clear. It's got sparkly stuff in it. Not sure if it's real metallic, but it's sparkly! I've also mixed some of this into other colors and you can really see the sparkle.

The aluminum base is intended as a base coat over which you will put candy coats to get that miles deep look with the metallic down under. However, I've found it makes a good mix with transparent/candy coats for a different kind of metalic look. And, by itself it looks like a nice metallic coat for rockets that are supposed to look like shiny metal.

I've also included some representatives of the pearl coats I use, so you can see what the flek size is by comparison. Much finer, in the pearl.

I really like these paints!

No problem with my Paasche H using the H5 color adjusting part, and I've jused most of them also with the finer H3 parts as well. HAven't tried the H1.

Marc

Attachments

• Metallics2.jpg
    Metallics2.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 212
Back