copper heads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you make sure there is direct contact between the pyrogen and the BP, it should.

i tried a cluster 2 out of 3 lit. the copper heads has a broken lead about 2" down does no good in reload must have got kinked in range box

no big trouble so far lighting acp with copperheads, heat and split

darn-it bob , don't you know it's cool to diss copperheads ?

Don't use copperheads, you need a higher voltage system to make them work properly: go for quest Q2G2's they work great. We drag race vipers on D12s
and it's standard practice to ditch the estes for quest because they light faster. If you use the estes, you're guaranteed not to win.

i tried a cluster 2 out of 3 lit. the copper heads has a broken lead about 2" down does no good in reload must have got kinked in range box

Rule of Thumb: Do not try to light clusters with Copperheads.

If you got two of three to light you did pretty well. But you should be able to get all three lit every time with the Estes igniters or better yet, Quest Q2G2s.

I tried a copperhead for a D motor once, and it got spit out of the motor without lighting it! Annoying, maybe just a fluke. Won't do it again.

will copper heads ignite estes E9?

Quest had an old igniter called the Tiger Tail. it was a small version of the Copperhead designed to fit inside the smaller nozzles of 18mm black powder motors.

When they did not have shorted leads, they were great. When they did have shorted leads, they were a RPITA.

Since Tiger Tails worked fine you can certainly use Copperheads in black powder motors.

I have been handing spare Copperheads to people who have had misfires with First Fire igniters and they do a great job of igniting composite motors.

Anybody remember the old Centuri “Sure Shots”.
And why so much hate for copperheads?
I use them a lot on the Hobbyline motors and they work fine.
Are people trying to use them to light high-power motors?

Anybody remember the old Centuri “Sure Shots”.
And why so much hate for copperheads?
I use them a lot on the Hobbyline motors and they work fine.
Are people trying to use them to light high-power motors?

Many reasons for those who cannot get them to work. I have virtually no problems.

BAD:
* using "toothed" clips - the teeth bite through the foil and create shorts.
* Dumping them out of their protective tubes prior to use (into a tub or other plastic box where they can rattle around) which then results in damage or loss of pyrogen.
* Trying to use them with a very old crusted over white lightning motor or a reload kit that was opened or removed from it's protective inner bags and has crusted over.

3 motors 3 igniters all estes 2 lit rocket launched i recoverd it took plug out dropped unlit igniter 20mph wind couldnt find it had old copper head asked question got responce thank you i will get some new estes igniters

Latest posts

Back