Cool push button switch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think $16 is a bad price at all. We have fully illuminated buttons at the shop at work that cost much more and if I took one home with me it would cost my job!

Only problem I see is that is a momentary switch. Other than that it looks really cool.

Looking at the sw connector diagram, it seems like the led can be wired to be always on.

My concern is how bright (or dim) is it.

Ok. I'm about overdue for another dumb electronics question so here is one I don't have and handle on yet.

I understand the purpose of the limiting resistor and why they are needed.
How are they generally mounted"

I mean do you solder/crimp your wire to one end of the resistor and then lead another wire from the other end to the LED?

Do you make a little circuit board with resistors on them and terminals at either end so that the wiring can be attached?

Do you just toss the resistor into the enclosure and hope that it will accidently short across the right points?

I really am this clueless when electrons start moving around.

Really cool website.

Looks like an elevator switch?

Anyway, if you check out the switch page, they have some that are push on/ push off.

Jal3:
in order asked; yes, yes, no :). I've seen it done both ways (led resister wiring), they both have pros and cons, if neatness doesn't matter then attaching the resister directly works fine, otoh it is somewhat messy(even more mess if you need more than 2 resistors. doing a circut board makes a neater install and 'portable' if you need to transfer things, if you can't find a 'standard' board it will take longer.

Key question...how big is it? The dimensions tab indicate there are no dimensions available. If it's fairly small I'd it's quite coolio.

-Dave

I bought a large blue LED at Radio Shack, and mounted it an Estes Electron Beam launch controller. I wanted a launcher that would operate with low current igniters, and the current required to drive an incandescent lamp is way too high for many igniters. Since most LEDs have about a 20mA draw, this means it is safe for probably most igniters, especially the Quest igniters. This LED I chose is just an LED, and so a current limiting resistor was required. I soldered it to one of the LED leads, and it does not matter which -- but the LED polarity does! This particular LED is huge, and about the same size as the bulb that was in the Electron Beam. I epoxied it in, and then soldered the resistor lead and the LED lead to the brass strips inside the controller that contacted the bulb.

I'd recommend checking out ledcalc.com if you do not know how to calculate the LED current limiting resistor values. It is pretty neat, and shows the circuit, you type in the values of voltage and current from the LED's specs, and it calculates the resistor value, and actually displays a resistor with the correct color bands. Since resistors come in specific values, it will recommend the correct resistor to buy. For example, if the program calculates that you need 110 ohms, it will suggest 120, since that is a common value. It will pick a larger resistor value, to force a lower current (i.e. safer). I picked a smaller resistor for mine, driving it at about 23mA, which is fine for most LEDs. Bear in mind that they specify a current that is known to be safe, so a little more is usually not an issue.

Last edited:
Uh, I just figured out that that entire site is for people building "light sabers" from Star Wars. :eyepop: And I thought rocket people were weird... :jaw:

Uh, I just figured out that that entire site is for people building "light sabers" from Star Wars. :eyepop: And I thought rocket people were weird... :jaw:

They have a compy program called the "Saber Builder." They've just out-geeked us.

Geek factor notwithstanding, it would be cool to use that switch as a "launch" button and wire the LED to glow when the system is armed and there is continuity.

Ok. I'm about overdue for another dumb electronics question so here is one I don't have and handle on yet.

I mean do you solder/crimp your wire to one end of the resistor and then lead another wire from the other end to the LED?

Do you make a little circuit board with resistors on them and terminals at either end so that the wiring can be attached?

Do you just toss the resistor into the enclosure and hope that it will accidently short across the right points?

I really am this clueless when electrons start moving around.

I usually just solder the resistor onto the short leg of the LED and then solder the wire leads to that. You want the resistor in series with the LED to reduce the current going across the semiconductor bridge, since the semiconductor is low resistance and will allow too much current to go across it without a resistor in series to "choke" the current down to managable levels.

Good luck! OL JR :)

Jal3:
in order asked; yes, yes, no :). I've seen it done both ways (led resister wiring), they both have pros and cons, if neatness doesn't matter then attaching the resister directly works fine, otoh it is somewhat messy(even more mess if you need more than 2 resistors. doing a circut board makes a neater install and 'portable' if you need to transfer things, if you can't find a 'standard' board it will take longer.

Thanks.

Is there such a thing as a standard "mount a bunch of resistors for your bunch of LEDs" circuit board?

It seems from what you said that such a beast might actually exist. On the other hand, nobody should underestimate my ability to get things wrong in this field.

I bought a large blue LED at Radio Shack, and mounted it an Estes Electron Beam launch controller. I wanted a launcher that would operate with low current igniters, and the current required to drive an incandescent lamp is way too high for many igniters. Since most LEDs have about a 20mA draw, this means it is safe for probably most igniters, especially the Quest igniters. This LED I chose is just an LED, and so a current limiting resistor was required. I soldered it to one of the LED leads, and it does not matter which -- but the LED polarity does! This particular LED is huge, and about the same size as the bulb that was in the Electron Beam. I epoxied it in, and then soldered the resistor lead and the LED lead to the brass strips inside the controller that contacted the bulb.

I'd recommend checking out ledcalc.com if you do not know how to calculate the LED current limiting resistor values. It is pretty neat, and shows the circuit, you type in the values of voltage and current from the LED's specs, and it calculates the resistor value, and actually displays a resistor with the correct color bands. Since resistors come in specific values, it will recommend the correct resistor to buy. For example, if the program calculates that you need 110 ohms, it will suggest 120, since that is a common value. It will pick a larger resistor value, to force a lower current (i.e. safer). I picked a smaller resistor for mine, driving it at about 23mA, which is fine for most LEDs. Bear in mind that they specify a current that is known to be safe, so a little more is usually not an issue.

I'd wondered about just soldering directly to the leads but that seems an "ugly" solution. If I were to try to implement it, I just know things would get ugly very quickly. Let me ammend that: it would get VERY ugly very quickly. SUch is my hateful relationship with electricity.:(

Let me be clear, I'm not disparaging your solution. I'm being realistic about what happens when I get involved.

I have seen that site before. I keep it handy for when I want to pretend to be able to do anything more complex than hooking up an igniter.

I usually just solder the resistor onto the short leg of the LED and then solder the wire leads to that. You want the resistor in series with the LED to reduce the current going across the semiconductor bridge, since the semiconductor is low resistance and will allow too much current to go across it without a resistor in series to "choke" the current down to managable levels.

Good luck! OL JR :)

That make sense. I just shudder when I think of the bad things that could happen when I (JAL3) am added to the mix.

I guess I never noticed all those little resistors flopping around at the ends of other people's wires.

I thought I had looked.:cyclops:

oh probably, some one does the pc boards for all those led toys :). for most of us doing one of kind stuff it takes a while(note when last I looked, one could buy a D.I.Y. circut board etching kit from radio shack).

I bought a large blue LED at Radio Shack, and mounted it an Estes Electron Beam launch controller.... Since resistors come in specific values, it will recommend the correct resistor to buy. For example, if the program calculates that you need 110 ohms, it will suggest 120, since that is a common value. It will pick a larger resistor value, to force a lower current (i.e. safer). I picked a smaller resistor for mine, driving it at about 23mA, ...

Part numbers for the LED and resistor you picked? How many Ohms on the resistor you chose?

From the dimensions HERE one can infer that the switch is about 5/8 inch in diameter or a bit less, with the bezel being close to 7/8 of an inch.

I just emailed them for the dimensions.

Thanks.

Is there such a thing as a standard "mount a bunch of resistors for your bunch of LEDs" circuit board?

It seems from what you said that such a beast might actually exist. On the other hand, nobody should underestimate my ability to get things wrong in this field.

You mean like a resistor array?

Sure. About 60 cents apiece for an 8-resistor array from Digikey, in an easy-to-use DIP package. Mouser I'm sure has about the same price.

[...]

Let me be clear, I'm not disparaging your solution. I'm being realistic about what happens when I get involved.

No offense taken. When I saw that big honkin' blue LED at Radio Shack, I knew it was destined for an Electron Beam launch controller. I'm not sure I'd want to modify too many this way, but it was a fun conversion to do.

You mean like a resistor array?

Sure. About 60 cents apiece for an 8-resistor array from Digikey, in an easy-to-use DIP package. Mouser I'm sure has about the same price.

Forgive my ignorance.

Resistor Array? I saw the pictures. They jsut don't mean anything to me.

Part numbers for the LED and resistor you picked? How many Ohms on the resistor you chose?

LED link below. The tech specs say forward voltage is 3.2V, 3.8V max, but I recall the packaging saying just 3.8V. The forward current is listed at 20mA. With a 6V supply, that leaves 2.2V across the resistor. Resistance is voltage divided by current (V/I), or 2.2V divided by 20 mA (.020 A), which yields 110 ohms. You will either use a 100 or 120 ohm resistor, and I chose 100 ohms, but either would be fine. A 5 pack of 1/8 watt resistors is $1 as I recall, pretty cheap. Higher power rated resistors are always OK (such as 1/4 watt), they are just bigger.

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3111495&CAWELAID=172941650

Last edited:
Back