Converting to micro rail - any issues with binding?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWIINut

Reaction score
First post!

I have been getting back into model rockets the last few years and the rail system seems like a great idea.

I bought some micro buttons and put them on a few rockets and just bought a 10mm rail. While testing out the rocket on the rail, it seems like it doesn’t take much left/right movement to bind.

Do the buttons need to filed down or reshaped? Or is this not an issue during actual launch?

i would try it out my self but it is much too cold right now in OH!

typically once the rocket starts moving it keeps moving, binding is typically side to side, not up and down the rail. If need be round off the edges of the slot.

I am 3D printing launch lugs for Makerbeam 10mm rail and have not had binding issues. Put rocket downwind of rail so that it does not get pushed sideways. I have even launched with 10mm rail passing through ring tails etc.... (it is very narrow but rigid). Here are a few different style rockets launching off 1.5m Makerbeam:

Large wing area:

Ring tail:

Long Rocket (5-6' long):

I did have one issue of biding when the engine was substantially off-center but that was an oddball rocket.

Last edited:
1st welcome to the Dark Side... I mean forums... what part of Ohio are you in?
We are 20 min SE of Cleveland. Kids an I fly year round as long as it's not raining or snowing, and we can fit in into the schedules...

As for buttons, it shouldn't bind if correct rail for the buttons, and they are aligned. (There are some "knock-off" rails that have different t-slot geometry, that can cause issues.) To test place it vertical, like it would be for launch, then put a finger under the motor mount and lift straight up like the thrust direction of the motor. If you feel binding try to figure out what it's from.

If you are still concerned, let us know exactly what buttons you have and what rail, so we can confirm they should work together.

Thanks for the invite but I’m in the Cincinnati area - the opposite corner. There are two clubs in driving distance of me and will have to check them out.

I bought the buttons from rail buttons.com and the rail is Makerbeam.

the vertical lift test is super smooth with no binding unless I move it left or right. The previous comment to be sure the rail is set up downwind makes sense.
Thanks!

I bought the buttons from rail buttons.com and the rail is Makerbeam.

This combo should work nicely. The head of the #2 nylon screw is small and glides nicely in the rail. Other #2/56 nylon screws (from Amazon or others) may have a bigger head and will bind/scrape. Use the railbuttons.com screws.

I butt together two 1500 mm lengths of makerbeam and screw them together with a small length of M3 threaded rod, giving 3m of launch guide goodness. This assembly slides into a standard 1010 rail for support. The butt joint creates a slight discontinuity that may or may not be a problem. One flight was fine, the second flight ripped off the rear microbutton. I am not sure of the reason why.

Sadly I have had this same problem with the rail buttons.com micro buttons and 10mm Makerbeam. Mine is the black anodized version and I have read elsewhere that clear might work better.

Back