contrails...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

legranddudu

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

we had last weekend the 2nd largest rocketry event of Germany..and we started very sucessfully 5 high power contrail hybrids:

1x L1222 sparky
1x K678 black gold
1x J292 sparky
1x J642 black gold
1x H300 hp

It was simply rocking bavaria :)

enjoy that..more highspeed videos soon!

man12.jpg
DSC_0176.jpg
man18.jpg
man4.jpg
man5.jpg

Last edited:
a few more...contrail L1222..just for the record...it is a 75mm contrail with 12 inch reload at medium speed and 3000cc tank....in a 13ft rocket..went to a very high altitude...we had 25 knots of wind...believe or not it came back..after a VERY long flight..just 800yards from us...no way without double deployment...thanks to barry..by the way it was your chute my friend :)

we only had to fight nearly one day with a bad fill-line..but finally we got a "panzer-grade" one onsite so we could demonstrate great contrail hybrid technology ;-)

DSC_0174.JPG

even this beautifull full-carbon V2 was hybrid ....

man6.jpg

checking the 75mm / 3000cc contrail casing with very interested rocketeers...

man16.jpg

Last edited:
just before start, on the ramp, ready to get filled thru the 75mm nozzle with precious nitrous...it is nearly a minimum diameter rocket...the results are not too bad..3600 Ns of the sparky reload deliver approx 8.700ft flight :))

IMG_0578.JPG

Last edited:
Dang... that V2 is gorgeous...

What materials are your rocket's (the brown one) fins made of?

Great things going on over there in the old country! Used to live in Swabia; don't remember anything like that going on there :(

Can we got some more pics of the V2? That thing looks gorgeous!

Alex

a few more...contrail L1222..just for the record...it is a 75mm contrail with 12 inch reload at medium speed and 3000cc tank....in a 13ft rocket..went to a very high altitude...we had 25 knots of wind...believe or not it came back..after a VERY long flight..just 800yards from us...no way without double deployment...thanks to barry..by the way it was your chute my friend :)

we only had to fight nearly one day with a bad fill-line..but finally we got a "panzer-grade" one onsite so we could demonstrate great contrail hybrid technology ;-)

even this beautifull full-carbon V2 was hybrid ....

View attachment 92115

Excellent launch report, and all of the rockets are beautiful, especially the carbon V2. Question; do you have any details on the pad that the V2 is launch from? Very unique design.

I will try to get more details for you guys on the A4.

Basically it is a kit produced by the guy himself near to the rocket. I know he sells on demand copies of it, in glass or carbon. Udo, thats is name, also produces his own hybrids with absolutely professional German Engineering QUality, as the Kit himself. It is by far the most detailled and lightest kit you can get. I will try to check with him what we can do...

enjoy that my friends...54mm/28inches contrail hybrid rocket motor J292 Sparky in slow motion....last saturday near to Ingolstadt, Audi town...all the credits for this one to Louis Schreyer, our club president and creator of the very popular Altimax altimeters

[video=youtube_share;VSZIofXio-U]https://youtu.be/VSZIofXio-U[/video]

Dear Mr. Dudu,

Please keep up the excellent launch reports. It is so much fun to see what you are doing with Contrails and what is going on in Europe in general. And Mr. 69 beat me to the punch, that pad looks like a sweet-heart. Please let us know what folks are doing over there. Your level of craftsmanship is outstanding.

I do have a question for you, does Contrail motors have the "farting" sound similar to Hypertek? I don't mind the sound, just curious.

If anyone fired off any kind of sparky motor in the central US, the resulting range fire would only be stopped by the Mississippi River.

Kent
Giant Leap Rocketry

Dear Mr. Dudu,

Please keep up the excellent launch reports. It is so much fun to see what you are doing with Contrails and what is going on in Europe in general. And Mr. 69 beat me to the punch, that pad looks like a sweet-heart. Please let us know what folks are doing over there. Your level of craftsmanship is outstanding.

I do have a question for you, does Contrail motors have the "farting" sound similar to Hypertek? I don't mind the sound, just curious.

If anyone fired off any kind of sparky motor in the central US, the resulting range fire would only be stopped by the Mississippi River.

Kent
Giant Leap Rocketry

The sound from a Contrail Motor doesn't "fart..."
Tom

freddiejojo said:
....do have a question for you, does Contrail motors have the "farting" sound similar to Hypertek? I don't mind the sound, just curious.

Tom is right, the sound is outstanding, very very loud, adeep bass like thunder...just to make a comparison...an AT K reload sounds like lady Gaga in best form..not bad?...a K or L contrail sounds like Ramstein in Duo with Alice cooper... it will freeze your blood...no joke. I was 40 meters away from my starting L1222... I had to scream with my rocket...completely psychedelic...

Now guess what... we are producing 2 additional high speed and HD videos..with sound of the last K and L launches. Just wait a few days more :)

Tom is right, the sound is outstanding, very very loud, adeep bass like thunder...just to make a comparison...an AT K reload sounds like lady Gaga in best form..not bad?...a K or L contrail sounds like Ramstein in Duo with Alice cooper... it will freeze your blood...no joke. I was 40 meters away from my starting L1222... I had to scream with my rocket...completely psychedelic...

Now guess what... we are producing 2 additional high speed and HD videos..with sound of the last K and L launches. Just wait a few days more :)

More Often than not, I have always been VERY Close to our motors either being tested or flown. Either at/near the pad for filling or testing (static testing as well)... So Its almost a natural noise now. Some are more "Throaty" (think M2281, O-6300, L-2525, K-555 etc.) In my opinion, the K-234, L369, M-711 are more of a Piercing noise, for a longer duration.

With that being said, I have always been told that other than the decible level, (higher decible of Contrail motors), you can't tell the difference between an AP and Contrail motor.

They are not the typical "fart, humm, reverb type noise...."
Tom

just before start, on the ramp, ready to get filled thru the 75mm nozzle with precious nitrous...it is nearly a minimum diameter rocket...the results are not too bad..3600 Ns of the sparky reload deliver approx 8.700ft flight :))

View attachment 92124

It looks like you're using an Aeropack retainer with the Contrail motor, did you need to make any kind of modification for a good secure fit?

absolutely not..contrail casings are designed to fit in any kind of standard retainers like Aeropack, never had any problem in 38, 54 or 75mm...

absolutely not..contrail casings are designed to fit in any kind of standard retainers like Aeropack, never had any problem in 38, 54 or 75mm...

Thank you for the info, that's very good to know. I'm definitely interested in trying the Contrail hybrid system.

Thank you for the info, that's very good to know. I'm definitely interested in trying the Contrail hybrid system.

Just give them a call or send an email..they are a great family business, trully 100% USA quality:

Contrail
2735 Maricopa Ave
Lake Havasu City, Arizona 86406
Phone: 928-855-7332

or send them an email: [email protected]

legranddudu
Would you know the sizes in inches for the tail cone,mid tube,and nose cone for a 5" V-2
Thanks very much
Gary
TFRLLC

Gary I will do that for you of course, gimme just few days for the fins drawings..

Thanks Much
No hurry just thinking of a 5" V-2 because I have a good number of the parts on hand.
Gary

Back