Confectionery Success!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenstarr

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted the title to read "New Formula Characterized" but figured that might not look so good even if it makes me smile.

For the ol' birthday I got a big thick textbook about artisan candy making. I've been working with compound coating instead of chocolate to at least get the basics down on manipulation. The other thing, I suppose one of my main goals, to replicate Grandma Bea's fudge as no one in the family has even come close. For the recipe in the book, there are two precursors required. Fondant and invert sugar. Invert sugar, easy to make. Look it up on Wikipedia and it's simple as it says. Fondant.... Requires a bit more finesse. After several attempts with sub-optimal results, success arrived! After recalibration of the thermometer, adjusting for altitude, checking the kitchen air temperature and humidity to make sure I was in bounds and cooking some sugar, corn syrup, and water, then pouring the resultant mass on the stone, cooling to 120 degrees F, and agitating for about 10 minutes, the whole mass crystallized! Upon sampling, there was no discernible grit on the palate and the grain had all the required characteristics for further use!!! Main use for this batch is to seed a subsequent batch and avoid as much agitation (hard on the arms and shoulders). Next time, I'll increase batch size, then try my hand at fudge and do some dipped centers! Grandma is surely smiling down from above. She was a master.

You think working with composites is a black art? Let's call this the Darker (or Blacker) Art of Candy Making. If you are interested, get a good book on the subject. Moms recipe book or Betty Crockers book just don't cut it. This book has both theory and technique and best of all, the recipes are given in units of grams or ounces or as percentages! How simple! Throw the pot on the scale, add ingredients, tare, add the next ingredient!

this is the book:
transparent-pixel._V386942464_.gif
Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
May even have application to some rocket stuff!...

In other news I painted some of a rocket yesterday. As soon as it gets the clear coat, I'll do a brief build thread on the Blackhawk 66 scratch build!
-Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo....what's the Isp of the fondant (adjusting for air temp, altitude,amount of excess chocolate covering,etc) ? It'd be fun walking back after recovery licking the nozzle....

Yeah, I pretty much knew no matter how I worded it it would sound something like that. :D
Well, this is kind of one of my other hobbies. I got interested after my grandma died but after two attempts at her fudge I gave it a rest. Really all I want to do is make fudge better than anyone else's and a few dipped chocolates better than anyone else's... excluding professionals or retired folks that have more free time to practice this stuff than I do!
-Ken

Soooo....what's the Isp of the fondant (adjusting for air temp, altitude,amount of excess chocolate covering,etc) ? It'd be fun walking back after recovery licking the nozzle....

That's fun either way!

I have it! Rocket Chocolate! (R-candy?) No it's not what you are thinking but it is gourmet(?) rocket themed chocolates. I would have to make a mold of some sort if I wanted specific shapes like little rockets. I think in confectioner parlance they call the stuff in the middle "centers" in general. Let's forget that. They are now "grains"! Imagine a candy bar with various "grains" within it!. I suppose you could flavor the fondant and use something like a star pump and make little cylindrical grains of different flavors.
Skidmark anyone?
-Ken

Talk to some of the 3D printing members if they'll do some master printing for you. Have them 3D print the shape you want, then build a silicone mold over the top of the shape. Voila! You have your rocket-candy molds!

Times have changed since 2013! I now have a prusa original 3d printer and use Freecad to design stuff. And I have all sorts of silicone molding materials! Just yesterday I made orange creme fondant, lavender creme. Saturday I did lemon and black walnut...

And here I thought it might be a thread about a sucessful sugar rocket - bummer
I don't know, chocolate is pretty hard to beat. "I never met a chocolate I didn't like"- (guess who said that).
And for some odd quirk of nature, my daughter doesn't like chocolate.

I wanted the title to read "New Formula Characterized" but figured that might not look so good even if it makes me smile.

For the ol' birthday I got a big thick textbook about artisan candy making. I've been working with compound coating instead of chocolate to at least get the basics down on manipulation. The other thing, I suppose one of my main goals, to replicate Grandma Bea's fudge as no one in the family has even come close. For the recipe in the book, there are two precursors required. Fondant and invert sugar. Invert sugar, easy to make. Look it up on Wikipedia and it's simple as it says. Fondant.... Requires a bit more finesse. After several attempts with sub-optimal results, success arrived! After recalibration of the thermometer, adjusting for altitude, checking the kitchen air temperature and humidity to make sure I was in bounds and cooking some sugar, corn syrup, and water, then pouring the resultant mass on the stone, cooling to 120 degrees F, and agitating for about 10 minutes, the whole mass crystallized! Upon sampling, there was no discernible grit on the palate and the grain had all the required characteristics for further use!!! Main use for this batch is to seed a subsequent batch and avoid as much agitation (hard on the arms and shoulders). Next time, I'll increase batch size, then try my hand at fudge and do some dipped centers! Grandma is surely smiling down from above. She was a master.

You think working with composites is a black art? Let's call this the Darker (or Blacker) Art of Candy Making. If you are interested, get a good book on the subject. Moms recipe book or Betty Crockers book just don't cut it. This book has both theory and technique and best of all, the recipes are given in units of grams or ounces or as percentages! How simple! Throw the pot on the scale, add ingredients, tare, add the next ingredient!

this is the book:
May even have application to some rocket stuff!...

In other news I painted some of a rocket yesterday. As soon as it gets the clear coat, I'll do a brief build thread on the Blackhawk 66 scratch build!
-Ken
It looks like a trip to Logan for me and Cyndee may be in order.

Well if you think something with ...butadiene or diisocyanate in the name conjures forbidden arts think again! I've paid a heavy price to get this far and this stuff seems like dark arts. When your apprenticed to yourself and your only recourse of advancing the craft is to go down the road to bluebird candies and buy chocolates so there's something to compare to... Don't even bring up the price of the chocolate tempering machine (worth every penny!) I've done enough though to get very consistent results and it seems pretty easy but there were loads of failures!

Attachments

• 20231213_192732.jpg
    20231213_192732.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231213_192722.jpg
    20231213_192722.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231212_215926.jpg
    20231212_215926.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back