Combining Permits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tquigg

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about BATFE merging LEUP's and LUP's into one all-encompassing permit in the near future? I've read some scuttlebutt on other forums, and read a lot of he-said-she-said, and I've even e-mailed BATFE directly, no response.

Anyone have any idea of a contact that could give me some info on this matter?

Best Regards

thats new news to my ears... Id be interested in a solid answer if anyone has one.

I possess a LUP and in hindsight wish I had gone for the full blown LEUP. Same requirements, same amount of paperwork, only cheaper and more restrictive. Go for the whole enchilada if you are considering getting permitted. Next time I renew my permit, which will be next March, I'm going to upgrade to a LEUP. I was also surprised to find out this year when I renewed my LUP I had to submit the same paperwork as when I applied originally, minus the mugshot and fingerprints and must do this everytime I renew. I also had a over-the -phone interview by a BATFE agent. If I don't renew the agent told me to be ready to surrender all paperwork. So, I've kept everything they have sent me. Wonder if they will want the four copies of the orange book they've sent me?

Tom, you can call the BATF office in any major city. I use the office out of Kansas City and they are always very helpful.

Tim,

Eliminating or combining the Limited permit would require an act of Congress as that permit is explicitly defined in 18 USC Chapter 40.

What has happened is that the ATF issued a final rule which basically eliminated the distinction between the variations on the permits. There are/were several flavors of user permits (and dealer, manufacturer, and importer licenses) for high explosives, low explosives, blasting agents, and fireworks.

I wrote a few words about this a while back....

https://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz/regulation/marking.html

Originally posted by UhClem
What has happened is that the ATF issued a final rule which basically eliminated the distinction between the variations on the permits. There are/were several flavors of user permits (and dealer, manufacturer, and importer licenses) for high explosives, low explosives, blasting agents, and fireworks.

I wrote a few words about this a while back....

https://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz/regulation/marking.html

From that link: "Thus, after 26 July, if you
possess a permit for low explosives you can use it to acquire blasting agents or high explosives without first applying with the ATF to change your permit."

Great. So the ATF forces thousands of people who don't use explosives to get an explosives permit they don't need, all in the name of national security. Then it removes the limitions on those permits so that anyone with a LEUP can go out and stock up on blasting agents and other high explosives.

That is just plain insane!

{edited by moderator}

Thanks for the definition on this David. It's a lot clearer to me now!

Best Regards

Back