"College Funds" Yet another scratch build.- Up in flames at Hellfire 18

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use wood filler. Sands easy enough and fills the grooves completely.

I did another set of filets with regular epoxy. The Q cells seemed slightly brittle when cured so I will not be using them any more.
20130112_153559.jpg
Plus, 15 minute is just much easier to work with.

Alex

I did the third and final set of fillets. Not much to see, just imagine the picture above.

Here is a shot of the progress so far.
20130112_190558.jpg

Alex

I tihnk it needs a small pair of fins on the tip of the tube near the nosecone or smack dab in the middle of the airframe.

I have found that Liquid Nails, applied with a paper towel, fills the tube spirals very well.

I spent this afternoon working on the paint scheme. I think it looks pretty sweet!
Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 5.40.45 PM.jpg

Alex

It also looks nice with grey instead of white.
Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 6.48.39 PM.jpg

Green and grey
Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 6.52.00 PM.jpg

Alex

Last edited:
Looks great.....to give it perfect color balance....add a blue or green NC tip with that dark stripe under. POW!

Looks great.....to give it perfect color balance....add a blue or green NC tip with that dark stripe under. POW!
The blue NC tip looked cool but I like this a little better.
Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.21.45 PM.jpg
I think it just completes the look.

I am really going to hate myself when it comes time to mask this thing.

Alex

That's exactly what I had in mind.....POW!

Ya could save a headache or 2 by getting some auto pinstripe tape for the dark lines & doing that last.

Here's what I would do:
Paint the entire rocket base color....gray [or whatever]

Let sit for a couple days. then spiral wrap rocket with painters blue tape.

Draw your lines for area to be painted blue [or what ever]

Carefully cut that line with sharp X-acto knife. Use a straight edge for fin lines. Then peel off area to be blue. [You have made a mask]

Spray the blue, or first fog white undercoat if needed. [all the grey area is covered with tape and protected.]

Peel off tape by lifting edge with knife blade. Ya just have to use light coats.

Finish up with black pinstripe tape. Clear coat the whole thing.

Only need to mask one time! I do this all the time.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like the light blue with white or gray. I'd be afraid it would get lost in the sky. But that's just paranoid old me.

I'll be going with the grey and blue. I'll see how visible it is when I test fly it on smallish motors. Thanks for the input, Captain and DixionTJ.

CJ, I like the idea of doing black trim with auto pinstripe tape. You might have just saved me a lot more precision masking! I like the idea of covering the entire rocket with tape, but it might be difficult with the paint lines wrapping around the tube. I have a pretty good idea of how I'll get the lines perfect but it might take some time. I think It'll be worth it.
Thanks for the tips! Even if I dont use them on this rocket, I will with others!

Alex

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy watching your builds. I learn something from each one.
I like the colors, but as the Cap'n said, I think it is going to disappear, possibly even on the ground. But that is just an opinion, and we all know those are just like body parts... Bright color on the chute may be a wise move.

I went to Ace Hardware and picked up spray paint. There are EXACTLY the colors I was looking for.
I also picked up sanding sealer to keep the Blue Tube sealed. Over that, white primer and over that, paint.
20130121_194240.jpg

Alex

I went to Ace Hardware and picked up spray paint. There are EXACTLY the colors I was looking for.
I also picked up sanding sealer to keep the Blue Tube sealed. Over that, white primer and over that, paint.

Alex

What kind of sanding sealer did you get? I used Deft spray lacquer sanding sealer on Milestone. I've only found it at OSH, they don't carry it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I don`t know how you guys build so fast ,I mean I know I`m old ,but sheesh ,between you and the good captain low `n slow AKA Jim ,I feel I better step it up a notch LOL

...of course I get very easily distracted ,like now ! Instead of typing this, I probably should be working on my Hellfire.

Take care

Paul T

I build slow too, but I don't enjoy it if I feel Like I got to hurry then it just become like work. I have worked on rockets for years before I finish them sometimes. :)

TA

I like the grey and blue as well, nice color scheme.

TA

I don`t know how you guys build so fast ,I mean I know I`m old ,but sheesh ,between you and the good captain low `n slow AKA Jim ,I feel I better step it up a notch LOL

...of course I get very easily distracted ,like now ! Instead of typing this, I probably should be working on my Hellfire.

Take care

Paul T

It's because we don't put insane details in our builds. If you built simple dumb rockets like I do, you'd get them done fast, too. But don't stop building the way you do!

What kind of sanding sealer did you get? I used Deft spray lacquer sanding sealer on Milestone. I've only found it at OSH, they don't carry it at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Yes, I'm using the Deft stuff. I found it at Ace hardware.

Here is the upper BT with one coat.
20130122_162922.jpg

Alex

Ok guys....enlighten me here.

What's the sealer doing that primer won't? Is it related to using Blue Tube?

This is a new one for me.

According to the Blue Tube website, the sanding sealer soaks into the blue tube and makes it more moisture and warp resistant. The ARR guys say it fully takes the place of primer but since I'm using lighter colors I'll be using white primer too.
It smells awful though. I just lost soooo many brain cells.

Alex

According to the Blue Tube website, the sanding sealer soaks into the blue tube and makes it more moisture and warp resistant. The ARR guys say it fully takes the place of primer but since I'm using lighter colors I'll be using white primer too.
It smells awful though. I just lost soooo many brain cells.

Alex

Yep, lacquer fumes will do that to you. Do that to you. Lacquer fumes. Yep. They'll do that to you. Yep yep. What was the question?

Seriously Alex, be careful around those fumes. It's no joke, you ARE losing brain cells.
Wear a mask, use LOTS of proper ventilation, etc. Do NOT paint unprotected down in the basement.

Really.

s6

Seriously Alex, be careful around those fumes. It's no joke, you ARE losing brain cells.
Wear a mask, use LOTS of proper ventilation, etc. Do NOT paint unprotected down in the basement.

Really.

s6
Whenever I paint or spray stuff that might harm my few brain cells, I spray in the garage (open) and leave the item out there for a few minutes for the fumes to clear off slightly. Then, It's placed in my heated workshop until it's fully cure. I also wear a mask.

Green Jello said:
I LOVE this idea!
Thanks! I learned it from some blog in someone's sig here on TRF. I don't remember who...

Yep, lacquer fumes will do that to you. Do that to you. Lacquer fumes. Yep. They'll do that to you. Yep yep. What was the question?

:rofl:
I'm usually like that without the lacquer fumes, so no one can tell the difference!

Alex

Against my better judgement, I put a layer of primer on the upper body tube. I just wanted to see if my spiral filling method was working well. It's hard to tell without any primer.
20130123_165108.jpg

This was the only spot that needs touching up.
20130123_165124.jpg

Besides that, It looks nice!
20130123_165142.jpg

Alex

Back