College Football

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expansion is becoming ridiculous. Loss of camaraderie and region has destroyed college sports. It is now all about the dollar.
The slippery slope is now becoming a slippery wall.

It's always been about the dollar, but now it's getting harder to justify or rationalize the greed. They might as well get rid of conferences if they have zero geographical correlations and they're so big, teams can barely play half the teams in their conference.

Just wait for the Alabamas and Clemsons to start throwing shade on Vanderbilt and Duke, because they aren't bringing enough money Edit: to their conference

I graduated from a smaller (actually two) college(s), and most smaller D1 teams have already had to deal with monetary issues.

Some big boys are doing their level best to make things worse for everyone.

Maybe we can end up with a smaller conference with select teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan, and everyone will want to watch. Think of all the money they will make.

Just wait for the Alabamas and Clemsons to start throwing shade on Vanderbilt and Duke, because they aren't bringing enough money Edit: to their conference

I graduated from a smaller (actually two) college(s), and most smaller D1 teams have already had to deal with monetary issues.

Some big boys are doing their level best to make things worse for everyone.

Maybe we can end up with a smaller conference with select teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan, and everyone will want to watch. Think of all the money they will make.
Everyone will not be this one.

I could care less about watching those four teams and could care less. I prefer watching the smaller teams. I have watched more high school teams in the last 5 years.

Everyone will not be this one.

I could care less about watching those four teams and could care less. I prefer watching the smaller teams. I have watched more high school teams in the last 5 years.
I completely agree and some things I stated were a little tongue in cheek.

I went to two smaller schools, and the divisiveness and money grubbing in the current environment is making me sad. I did not go to a rich football school, and, honestly if football is the best thing your academic institution can provide to the world.........

The rich football schools will be eager to show how awesome they are. They will be shocked when the rest of the country, especially the millenials, simply don't care.

Sad days for college football ahead. I really hate it.

College football and college bands used to be something I supported deeply.

I went to two smaller schools, and the divisiveness and money grubbing in the current environment is making me sad. I did not go to a rich football school, and, honestly if football is the best thing your academic institution can provide to the world.........

The rich football schools will be eager to show how awesome they are. They will be shocked when the rest of the country, especially the millenials, simply don't care.

I grew up watching and loving the heyday of Eastern Football. Boston College, Cincinnati, Lousiville, Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia competed for the Lambert Trophy. Eastern Football was power football, and it was destroyed by conference expansion. The rivalry is gone. Many of those teams will probably be relegated to a lower league soon. The good news is that Cinderella can still win in basketball. Football might as well transition to semi-pro.

I grew up watching and loving the heyday of Eastern Football. Boston College, Cincinnati, Lousiville, Maryland, Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia competed for the Lambert Trophy. Eastern Football was power football, and it was destroyed by conference expansion. The rivalry is gone. Many of those teams will probably be relegated to a lower league soon. The good news is that Cinderella can still win in basketball. Football might as well transition to semi-pro.
Right there with you.

My team is already in a lower league. They can't fall much further.

Tradition is gone - OU / Ok State is over because OU (thinks) they can handle the SEC. Going to be hard to get selected to a Bowl when you’re 6 and 6.

Tradition is gone - OU / Ok State is over because OU (thinks) they can handle the SEC. Going to be hard to get selected to a Bowl when you’re 6 and 6.
The SEC is still the premier conference, but with college football free agency...I mean NIL deals and the Transfer Portal, conference power isn't quite what it used to be - that's my opinion, at least.

Back