CMASS Amesbury Launch 8-8-15

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be a good launch day.
Who's going and what do you plan to fly?

I'm bringing my usual assortment of LPR/MPR and my PML Hyrdra as well as my Loc Cyclotron.

I'll be there!

My main goal is to pick up some rocket goodies from Robert & Gloria at the AMWPro-X trailer, but I imagine that I'll manage to get off a few flights as well. I'm planning a lo-pressure day, so my biggest will be my Strong Arm on a G77.

The weather looks great, so far! :)

It was going to be my first Cmass event and I was so excited to go but then we had to put down our cat who took a turn for the worse after being diagnosed with a brain tumor Friday. Its been a rough weekend, but Since I didnt go I ended up ordering a bunch of things off fliskits to help cheer me up! I look forward to going to the next one in Acton now!

Sorry to hijack the tread, but given how dead the CMASS forums seem to be, I thought I'd ask here, and I didn't want to start a new one just for this. Does anyone know if the Launch tomorrow (8/22 - Acton) is still planned, or if it has been canceled due to the poor weather forecast? Could someone tell me if this is typically a decision made the day of the launch, and if so, how/where it's announced? The cmass.org website is still showing 8/22 as the next launch.

Sorry to hijack the tread, but given how dead the CMASS forums seem to be, I thought I'd ask here, and I didn't want to start a new one just for this. Does anyone know if the Launch tomorrow (8/22 - Acton) is still planned, or if it has been canceled due to the poor weather forecast? Could someone tell me if this is typically a decision made the day of the launch, and if so, how/where it's announced? The cmass.org website is still showing 8/22 as the next launch.

Launches in Acton are rarely cancelled as Acton does not offer us a refund of the rent we pay or a rain date to make up for a lost day. Unless the conditions are entirely hopeless, there would be some launching during the day.

The current forecast is showing clouds most of the day with rain toward evening. There could be spot showers earlier but it seems we'll set up and fly at the normal time in the morning.

We are still working on our notification system. The Launch Status box on the homepage has the best, up-to-date information; the admins keep this very current.

Thanks for the information, I'll keep a close eye on the launch status box in the future. I hadn't quite realized about the rarity of Acton cancellations, and am happy to know there may be some people there and some launches, despite the possibly wet weather. I hope to make it down and see you all again.

Turned out to be a blustery, but nice day to fly rockets. I had 16 flights including the new Estes Mercury Redstone on the recommended C 6-3. Nice straight boost and close recovery. Flew my Estes Dark Silver on an Areotech D 21-4 WOW!! nice high flight, recovered on the road with some damage to the cooling fins. Tragically I lost my Big Daddy to the dreaded "nosecone didn't pop off" lawn dart, in the corn on an E 9-4. Couldn't find it. I am also mourning the loss of the 14" CATO 'chute that was in in the Daddy when it went down, I liked that 'chute.:sigh:

I myself have a Rascal watching us from a tree,... 26 rockets went up,... 25 came down. Thanks Everyone! After every launch I come away learning something,.. My next Rascal will have a 50' shock cord,...

I know this thread is for a past event, but I wanted to let you guys know I think I'll finally be able to get to a CMASS event in late September. I haven't launched in ages. Hope to meet a lot of great people!

You guys are so lucky to have vendors at your launch. And pretty colored flags, and green grass, and cool pop ups for shade, and no cactus, yucca, sagebrush or other stickery and flammable plants.:blush:

Back