Cloning the Primordial Aero-Darts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanJ

Reaction score
JohnNGA asked me about a project I mentioned a while ago, my clones of the first two versions of the Aero-Dart, as they appeared in the 1962 and 1964 Centuri catalogs:

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri62/62cen18.html

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri64/64cen44.html

The measurements and photos above are ALL I had to go on. Measuring fins in a photograph with calipers and then multiplying them by a scaling factor determined by the known length of the body tubes was NOT a reliable way of getting the dimensions, but I think I got in the ballpark.

I've attached the photos of the completed models, and scans of the fin templates.

The tubes are 1.5 ID tubes, available from Semroc (Series 150). They also have the required 8" balsa nose cone.

The main tube is 22" in both cases. The Mark II (1964) version also has a 6" payload tube.

I would recommend using 1/8" basswood fins, mounted through the wall.

I used available Trim Monokote checkerboards for the Mark II. The payload is wrapped in silver Contact paper, and overlaid with clear label stock printed with 1/4" checkerboards.

If you build lightly, a 24mm mount is probably all you'll need. You can use D12, E12, and a wide variety of Aerotech RMS 24mm reloads in the models.

View attachment aero-dart.pdf

aerodart_i_lo.jpg

aerodart_ii_lo.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorite things about being on TRF is seeing some of the real oldies brought back to life.

Thanks.

Now I have to ask: May I please copy to the gallery?

:cool: Copy to the gallery, or make a whole new gallery?:wink:

The original Aero Darts already have header entries just waiting for some kind soul to relieve their loneliness.

@JAL: Yeah, go right ahead.

@burnout: The Centuri E and F motors were black powder, maybe with special proprietary binders, in big heavy cases. The designs were inherited from Coaster.

The one motor available in 1964 was an F11, in the old English classification system. F49 in the metric classication system.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri64/64cen42.html

11 pound-seconds total impulse, which is 49 newton-seconds.

You could find a fairly close match with the F motor reloads from Aerotech.

Thanks for sharing....and the templates....been wanting to attempt one or both of those, but the fin dimensions were holding me back

Thanks for the info.. I'm gonna build the first one, better get on the line to Semroc.

I found two more files of note.

One is a Word document with instructions on building the Mark II version, using the spare set of parts I made when creating mine. (I make or buy a spare set of parts when making a clone. I sell the extra as a one-off kit to fund my efforts.) I don't recommend this exact design. I made a more or less exact clone of the old model. You should use modern motor mounts and through-the-wall fin construction. However, the instructions do describe how to paint and detail the model.

The second doc file has a graphic; the checkerboard grid for the payload section. It is meant to be printed, using a laser printer or inkjet, on full-sheet clear label stock. I suggest putting several images on a blank one-page document, so you don't waste a whole sheet of label stock on one decal. You could make name plate decals, for example.

View attachment aero-dart_grid.doc

View attachment aero-dart-II.doc

I am ready to start Finishing one of these, and I am In a Quandry over the Perfect Font to give the early sixties look on the "Aero Dart" decal have already settled on the "Canturi" logo In the Typeface on the '62 catalog cover....what would be a good font to "get the look" ?

Back