Clay or Liquid Epoxies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhncarr358

Reaction score
Hello to all
After many years I am just getting back into rocketry and I must say first that it is a great feeling with the exception of the resource overload :jaw:
Now to the question
I am about to build a Madcow 2.6 AGM -33 PIKE this will be my first all fiberglass kit and have to yet work with any serious Epoxy
Is the fix it epoxy clay better than the standard 30 min that I am going to use
I can think of many reasons to use the clay for less mess and ease of not waiting days to let the epoxy cure but I am wanting to use the 30 min to get experience
Any Thoughts would be welcomed and thanks for any help :confused2:

it's heavy, and not the best adhesive. i agree with bryce, go with either a laminating resin with silica, or a structural epoxy, depending on the expected loads :)

I've never used the clay, but I've heard it's a bear to sand - good enough to keep me away. Regular epoxy will be fine for the Pike, I'm about to start one as well. What I like to do with external fillets on fiberglass is this - I usually use 5 min., when their almost cured, I wipe them lightly yet vigorously with a cloth soaked in denatured alcohol. This dissolves any mess I made in the process, leaves a nice radius, blends in the ends and edges, leaves virtually no sanding. HTH.

Back