Chutes, good and bad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a lot of TFR chutes. But am needing a 10' one and want it to be the best. Preston is going to send some pics of his Ultra X for me to see tonight. Thanks.

In no order - Spherachutes, Fruity (I have their classic not the somewhat odd to fold donut one whatever it's called), BAMA, Top Flight. They all make great chutes at various price points. I think I probably have more spherachutes than any of the others. You can pick the colors, they usually ship next day, the prices are reasonable, but they only have the one design in three weights. Love Fruity but $$$.

In no order - Spherachutes, Fruity (I have their classic not the somewhat odd to fold donut one whatever it's called), BAMA, Top Flight. They all make great chutes at various price points. I think I probably have more spherachutes than any of the others. You can pick the colors, they usually ship next day, the prices are reasonable, but they only have the one design in three weights. Love Fruity but $$$.

I agree Fruity chutes somewhat pricey, but the quality is outstanding

I agree Fruity chutes somewhat pricey, but the quality is outstanding

Agreed. I should perhaps also mention that I buy a lot of stuff from them like shock cords, but only the one chute so far. Maybe others in the future. We'll see.

If you fly a lot in muddy or thorn prone areas, Top Flight flat panel chutes help take the sting out of chute damage. I’ve nastied up a couple of Fruity’s and it hurts real bad. One got mud soaked and never cleaned up and the other got tangled and ripped in thorns. I cried for days. I see the TF chutes as good performers and more or less expendable.

TFR Ultra X type chutes. If you have pics of yours in action (deployed) I'd like to see them. Thanks.
[Four years later:]
I just received [last month] my first order from Spherachutes, and Julie's parachutes are well-made indeed! And, incidentally (not!), beautiful.
Don't know whether he existed four years ago, but don't leave out Front Range Rocket Recovery (FR3). My 7 1/2" LOC Patriot (currently under build) will very likely descend beneath one of his red-white-blue creations.

Back