Chute size vs. protector size?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I'm starting to need larger chutes (bigger than 45"). Is there a chart somewhere that recommends what size (square) protector to go with what size chute? The bigger size chutes start to get expensive, and I really don't want to scorch them.

Once I bought larger parachutes, to find what worked best for me, I folded said parachutes with my technique (everyone seems to pack/fold parachutes differently, sometimes with very different bundle size), then took scrap paper cut to different sizes to get the burrito wrap that I felt worked best.

Rarely has it been what any manufacturer has suggested, usually at least one size larger.

I cut my protectors rectangular, not square. E.g., 8x10, 10x14, 16x20. The longer side covers better and the short side still wraps around the burrito sufficiently.

When in doubt, go a size larger on the wrap. Unless you are in a crazy tight minimum diameter airframe, it's usually not an issue.

Oh, and toss some dog barf between the wrap and charge(s). That will greatly prolong the life of the wrap.

Back