Choose ONE national event

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be going to NSL this year. How large of a landing "zone" is there at Bong? I've heard of woods and ponds from people. Is there enough to fly a rocket to about 4000' on single deploy in average winds? I should look it up on google earth...

R/C flying fields... Hmmmm, may have to bring a few of those too...

Dude, I don't need room in the trailer to go to Mid-Ohio. I LIVE there. I was suggesting you bring some MPR stuff along and we'd find someplace to fly when you're not doing race stuff. (And I am hoping to find a local launch field. I have my eye on a few places, I just need to find out who owns them.)

********** WARNING - Shameless plug follows:***************

BTW, remember that on the two big bike weekends, Steam Corners church has a free pancake breakfast offered on both Saturday and Sunday (donations accepted but NOT required). Stop by and see us. Feel free to email or PM for details.

If you find a local place to launch with a decent waiver I'll be there. I just might have to stop buy the Church for vintage days but those of us in the motorcycling community are waiting to see how bad NASCAR ruined AMA racing. At the moment it looks like Yamaha has the only factory race team now and if it's just going to be a bunch of amateurs (like myself:eek:) you won't have to worry about huge traffic jams through Lexington. I hate to see this happen to Lexington and I'm sure when CART pulled out of Mid-Ohio it put a dent into the local economy there as well.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I'll be going to NSL this year. How large of a landing "zone" is there at Bong? I've heard of woods and ponds from people. Is there enough to fly a rocket to about 4000' on single deploy in average winds? I should look it up on google earth...

R/C flying fields... Hmmmm, may have to bring a few of those too...

I've flown to over 13,000 there and got it back. If there are low winds, the recovery area is plenty big. If windy, the wise use trackers.

There will be tracking receivers there to use free, but you have to borrow or supply your own transmitter. Wildman will be there selling them for 105.00 if needed. Buy enough motors or supplies from him, and he usually will let you borrow one of his. At minimum a beeper would be wise, everywhere is tall grass and weeds, once off the main flying area.

And yes the RC flying setup there is great!

Last edited:
I've flown to over 13,000 there and got it back. If there are low winds, the recovery area is plenty big. If windy, the wise use trackers.

I'm happy now. I might even do my mile shot. I'll try to see what I can do about a tracker. The payload bay is 10" long so I was thinking of putting together something with a basic stamp too...

Does anyone have any thoughts on the loot/freebie part of my question? It isn't that I am driven by the free stuff, but in considering my sons' motivations, they are excited about free stuff. If it was just me, I would be considering LDRS even more seriously than I already am (where I would expect no free stuff at all). I know all three NAR events probably have a make-it-take it event, but what other things make it attractive to 11 year olds, free stuff or otherwise.

In our discussion this morning, NARCON is probably already off the table since they won't be flying (and because we won't be camping). If they are going, they want to fly. Side trips and tours are of major interest to them. A NARAM trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum (or something similar) could be a major attraction.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the loot/freebie part of my question?

Side trips and tours are of major interest to them. A NARAM trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum (or something similar) could be a major attraction.

Freebies... I have no idea about LDRS. But NARAM occasionally does have freebies. Not to the extent that my first NARAM (13) had, where both Estes and MPC gave away the newly introduced mini motors and some kits to go along with them (admittedly, mini motor kits were probably easy for them to give away!).

Make-it, Take-its are not guaranteed. We didn't have one at NSL this year, and NARAM had a "fly-it,take-it" where sections built a bunch of rockets in advance which would then be given out as long as the recipient flew the rocket there.

The side trip to the Smithsonian, or to Goddard would be the big deal for me (though it would've been easier last year, than this year!)

I've never been to NARAM so I can't really comment on that. But as for LDRS vs. NSL if you are worried about costs I would consider your lodging options. That makes a huge difference in your expenses. I would think the difference in driving would be similar since you are coming from Ohio. Get out a spreadsheet and calculate all your costs (meals, gas, lodging, registration, etc.) for a trip to both places and compare. The cost of going to LDRS vs. NSL will probably make the decision for you.

For me, that is why I am not going to LDRS this year. I am not going to camp out for a rocket launch. I just don't have the room in my car for all the camping gear and the rocket stuff AND the kiddos. So it would be a hotel for me and the hotels around LDRS are filling up quick and are a bit pricey. NSL is near my folks house so I am going there this year.

-DAllen

I hit Naram 49 in Cinci (after a 20+ year absence before I BAR'd) and it was an absolute BLAST!! All I did for 3 days was sport fly, but I did get to meet a large number of members of this board, including Sandman, Adam Selene, etc. as well as folks who I had met in my first rocketry incarnation from the 70's, like Shread Vector et al. There is a certain amount of swag involved withregistration, but having done an amout of reviews on TRF and EMRR, the vendors (in my instance)) said "Hey, you did a really honkin' build and review of our product, here, have a coffee mug/kit/pile of stickers/whatever". Plus, a lot of vendors tend to have specials where if you buy a certain kit, you get the newest release for free or at a great savings.

Prior to my leaving the hobby back around 1979, I remember going to Naram 19 or 2 or so in Center Valley. For no other reason, I plan on hitting this one for old times sake.

Alan

Does anyone have any thoughts on the loot/freebie part of my question? It isn't that I am driven by the free stuff, but in considering my sons' motivations, they are excited about free stuff. If it was just me, I would be considering LDRS even more seriously than I already am (where I would expect no free stuff at all). I know all three NAR events probably have a make-it-take it event, but what other things make it attractive to 11 year olds, free stuff or otherwise.

Something else to consider... You know your son better than any of this, so only you can decide if this would be a relevant factor to him, or not.

At LDRS, your son will have the option to see more, larger rockets and motors fly than he's likely to see at any of the other events. So, while he's having a blast flying his own rockets, he'd also have the opportunity to get up close and personal to what he will consider to be huge rockets, as well as see them fly.

There's also usually a raffle at LDRS, so there's the chance for you or your son to win something.

It's just another thing to factor into the equation. Regardless, I'm betting you and your son will have a good time, regardless of the event you choose.

-Kevin

Well if I did not make a shameless plug for NARCON 2009, I would be remiss in my duties as event director. However, NARCON is about learning more than about flying.

OK, so as a founder of another major event, Consider NERRF5 in Middletown NY this year. No rocket is too small.

Finally, while the real show is the big dogs (Spelled O and P impulse) you can not go wrong with Red Glare at MDRA. Ever see four O impulse beasts leave the pad at the same time? How about a P7000? The only place beyond that is, for all practical purposes, BALLS. There is full support for MPR/LPR and one of the best crowds in existence.

Draw up a MISSIONARY proposal and send it to the GBGM. They'll do anything.

Come to IRW 2009 in Scotland. There's a lot of heathens in Scotland.

Oh wait... sorry a lot of HEATHER in Scotland :)

Yea! I'm back!:) Sorry, OT.

Anyways, I would seriously consider LDRS. I don't launch HPR, but I have an absolute blast watching the big flights.

Can't beat the price for kids. Plus the possibility for a make-it take-it at LDRS this year will be good.

Not to mention a side trip to Niagra or some astronomy events would be cool.

DanB

Just curious... has anyone registered for NARAM 51 yet?
The online registration isn't up and running yet, but neither have I tried to contact Art and/or Peg.

Don't forget the option of attending the TARC finals. You won't do any flying, there aren't a bunch of vendors there, but it's a unique rocketry event that's a hoot and a half.

(Aside: I always said, from the first year on, that representing the NAR at TARC was, by far and away, the best perk of being NAR President. I got to meet Homer Hickam, Buzz Aldrin, the NASA administrator, CEO's of multi-billion dollar aerospace companies, more astronauts than you can shake a stick at, and the Secretary of Defense. Along with some of the best and brightest students in the country!)

Back