Cheap Plunge Router

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguff

Reaction score
I recently saw a cheap plunge router at a warehouse liquidation center (Mendelson's if you're familiar with the Dayton, OH area). The plunge routers are marked at $30. I've read where others have used plunge routers to cut centering rings, and the cheap price caught my attention.

Is there any thing in particular i should look for in a plunge router that perhaps this plunge router will not have? Keep in mind, I would probably only use a plunge router to cut centering rings for rockets.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Bob

Is there any thing in particular i should look for in a plunge router that perhaps this plunge router will not have?

Quality? There are all kinds of things that could be wrong with it. It might not have much power, it might be loud, it might have runout (the bit wobbling), or it might break after a very short time. I wouldn't buy it.

Does it have a brand name? A power rating? 1.5-2hp should be enough, but more is better. Also look at the amps since the horsepower stated on cheap tools is usually peak horsepower. 10+ amps is about 1.5-2hp.

Remember that you get what you pay for. If you think you want to use it a lot, or for other projects you will most likely be happier with a better router. I'm thinking about getting the Ryobi RE180PL for $100 from Home Depot.

2 things with cheap routers, 1. I have found that alot of them have to much play in the shaft and make for some poor cuts. 2. you will need a circle jig, if you get a Jasper jig it might not fit on the cheap router.

If you watch Sears you can get a good plunge router for under 60 bucks when they are on sale.

If you want to know about routers, pick up the book "Router Magic" by Bill Hylton or "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton & Fred Matlack. There are other books out there that are also good, but these two are some of the better ones.

You will be amazed at what you can do with a router!:surprised:

Pick up the book first and you will have so many ideas about what you can do with it that you will probably want to get a good router.

A "good" router has several features, including variable speed, interchangeable collets, and interchangeable base.

The speed is important if you use a lot of different diameter bits on different types of materials.

If the collet isn't interchangeable, it's built into the motor shaft. If/when you have a problem with a built in collet, the whole router is shot instead of just the collet.

The interchangeable base is what make the router so versatile. You can buy different bases, or better yet, build your own. This is where the router books come in really handy.

The only down side, the "good" routers start at $200 and go up from there.

Hope this helps.

Bought a Jasper Jig to cut centering rings and then went looking for a plunge router. I looked at a few of the cheap ones and the jig wouldn't fit on any of them. I ended up going to Sears and buying a Craftsman, I think it was about $75. Works like a charm. I only spent about $25-30 more then the cheap ones I looked at, but I'm sure this one will outlast any of them.

I highly recommend the Jasper Jig to anyone looking to cut rings.

Here's the jig I bought:
https://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=365-255

These are designed for the speaker building market, but work great for rocketry.

Thanks all. I'm convinced. I won't buy the extremely cheap plunge router.

I knew i'd want a jasper jig, but had no idea a jasper jig might be located at Mendelson's also (Part's Express is/was located inside Mendelson's (at some point they are supposed to move)). Thanks randym.

Bob

Thanks all. I'm convinced. I won't buy the extremely cheap plunge router.

I knew i'd want a jasper jig, but had no idea a jasper jig might be located at Mendelson's also (Part's Express is/was located inside Mendelson's (at some point they are supposed to move)). Thanks randym.

Bob

No problem, Love my Jasper! Happy to recommend it to anyone.

Go to www.rockler.com and poke around. Going cheap on tools is an absolute travesty. It's bad enough we have to deal with the poor metals from offshore, tools should last a lifetime. Unfortunately some buy and buy and buy the same tool year after year and wonder why they can't get ahead.

If you're fortunate enough to find a Made In USA tool, grab it. I have tools which are 80 years old, they don't get that old because they were bought at a bargain basement. I will pass them on to my son........and hopefully he will do the same.

If you really want decent tool, my advise is to frequent yard sales. Often you will find strong, American made, built-to-last tools which were owned by the father and the kids don't have a clue. I have bought several that way.

"ya git what ya pay fer", except at yard sales!

Good luck

Chuck

Back