Cheap GPS vehicle tracker from Amazon, will work for tracking my rockets.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got this today, no subscription, works in the US. It has a removable battery too and its legal to use. I got it, downloaded the link, and tested it out. Works great so far, it was 10 bux too. I'm definitely going to get another one of these. I ordered a more expensive one also that need a subscription, thats going back. That whole it only works within 75 feet is just the Bluetooth capability with the phone. It goes much further, and if it hangs in a tree, it was 10 bux. Testing 2morrow?

Attachments

• 20230930_190848.jpg
    20230930_190848.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230930_190809.jpg
    20230930_190809.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230930_191850.jpg
    20230930_191850.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230930-185614_iSearching.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-185614_iSearching.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230930-192733_iSearching.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-192733_iSearching.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just like an Apple Airtag:
"Apple has not specified the exact Bluetooth range of an AirTag but it's believed that each AirTag supports Bluetooth 5.0 (same as the latest iPhones). The Bluetooth range is around 30 feet."

I don't quite understand how this small of a range could really help much for rocketry.

For me this is the system I am planning on using.
Studying on how I want to mount it, and I think the apogee deployment sensor unit on a e-bay I can transfer between rockets.

30-50 feet for bluetooth range to other people's phones is not going to work for something lost in the woods, or soybeans, or somewhere wild.

I wish I could do it cheaper, but this seems like the best value out there.
https://eggtimerrocketry.com/home/eggfinder-gps-tracking-system/
Hope this heps you sir.

Steve

30-50 foot range is better than nothing when a rocket is in a crop field. Typically we see 'about' where the rocket landed but not exactly. Then you can get close enough to pick up the signal and obtain an exact location.

I use a small RF TX beacon to RDF on. It has about a 50 foot range. I walk the edge of the Corn until I hear the beacon and then RDF to its location. It does work and quicker than walking forever in the corn (or high grass or other crops).

For an High altitude rocket that one looses sight of, not so good.

Yes sir, if you can get close enough it will definitely work. All the ones I have lost, have been float away rockets.
I remember when I was a young kid I lost the first three rockets I made on thier first launches. I didn't know to cut a spill hole, I didn't have the self control to not launch on the first day the glue was dry. I would over launch the field, the wind would catch the chute, and I would just stare as it floated off to another state. LOL.

I hope it works for you.

Steve

Yes sir, if you can get close enough it will definitely work. All the ones I have lost, have been float away rockets.
I remember when I was a young kid I lost the first three rockets I made on thier first launches. I didn't know to cut a spill hole, I didn't have the self control to not launch on the first day the glue was dry. I would over launch the field, the wind would catch the chute, and I would just stare as it floated off to another state. LOL.

I hope it works for you.

Steve
First one worked then stopped, then the 2nd one broke/stopped working too, and the 3rd I didn't even open. I returned them all, it was a nice try but way too short. But I had to try it, they are just cheap junk. For months I've been looking at Eggfinders, Featherweight stuff, and now Marco Polo trackers . My rockets are not going super high now but they will be. I had to try it, the ones that have a subscription and live tracking are better but at that point I'm paying per month. I might as well buy a good tracker and be done. Winters coming, I'll have something by spring.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231012-113749_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231012-113749_Chrome.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 1
30-50 foot range is better than nothing when a rocket is in a crop field. Typically we see 'about' where the rocket landed but not exactly. Then you can get close enough to pick up the signal and obtain an exact location.

I use a small RF TX beacon to RDF on. It has about a 50 foot range. I walk the edge of the Corn until I hear the beacon and then RDF to its location. It does work and quicker than walking forever in the corn (or high grass or other crops).

For an High altitude rocket that one looses sight of, not so good.
Yeah its not bad to have even that 30 to 50ft, but those trackers were trash. I mean if its a thick field and you see it go down, this would help. But for me its useless.

I've been looking at Eggfinders, Featherweight stuff, and now Marco Polo trackers . My rockets are not going super high now but they will be. I had to try it, the ones that have a subscription and live tracking are better but at that point I'm paying per month. I might as well buy a good tracker and be done. Winters coming, I'll have something by spring.
You might want to check out the Missleworks T3. It was my first and only tracker. Worked great until I landed it in a lake at LDRS.

You might want to check out the Missleworks T3. It was my first and only tracker. Worked great until I landed it in a lake at LDRS.
Yeah I emailed him too, told him what I was doing and he recommended a kit. I'm really looking all over, but thank you. What did you like about it over others if I may ask?

I'm at the point I think im just doing that Marco Polo tracker for the bigger ones and then get a Eggfinder mini for my smaller diameter stuff. My next adventure is altimeters(I wanted a JL Alt 3, then I looked at Flightsketch stuff, but it was sold out too), whats the one that talks to you(Stratosphere/Mary??), lol...I'm probably going to get a JL II Altimeter and thats it.

MW T3 is a great option, I use the rocket locator app and I can upload the gps data to Google earth for the flight path.

I did some ground testing and with the tracker gps antenna laying pointed at the ground I still received the signal/packets from a good distance. A out of sight/hill mountain terrain might have to rely on the last known location until the signal can be picked up.

I use 2 phones, 1 for video of the flight and the other is on my handheld base station for the gps and I could do a screen shot of the last known location. I also make sure I am looking at the downloaded satellite image for the locator app so I can go off land marks at the field.

I have some eggfinder gps products in the build pile and excited to try them out, I bought micro SD card readers I plan to solder onto the gps for logging the gps data easier.

I prefer a stand alone over an app. The nice thing about a stand alone is you do not have to worry about the app being no longer supported.

Yeah I emailed him too, told him what I was doing and he recommended a kit. I'm really looking all over, but thank you. What did you like about it over others if I may ask?

The T3 runs on a 1S Lipo for both Tx and Rx, it's 900 Mhz so no license required. The Tx was easy to recharge because I designed to easily swap from rocket to rocket. I put the receiver in a small project box with a DPDT switch so I could turn the receiver on and off, and when it was off, a wire with a connector stuck out and I could charge the battery without having to open the box (no tools required) since it was a 1S LiPo and doesn't need the balance plug for recharge like +2S LiPos do. This was big for me since I find having to open av-bays, etc. just to charge batteries super annoying.

It also worked really well with Bluetooth to Rocket Locator on my Android phone. Since we have cell service at the launch site, it uses Google satellite maps for a really nice overhead view of the rocket's track, where it is in real time on the way down so you could spot it again much easier, where it landed, where you are, and what's in between. It was really nice to know where it was in relation to the creeks, woods, lone trees, fence lines, cow pastures, beaver ponds, dirt roads, etc.

A feature I liked about the Rocket Locator app was because I would turn the GPS on and leave the receiver and phone on the truck bed when I took the rocket to the RSO and pads. When I got back, I could look at the track of where I walked the rocket to verify the GPS was working well. No track, and no launch.

Yeah I bet. Probably not something I'm going to need. But ill check them out for sure its very cool.
If you want voice, check the options with Eggfinder. They have a altimeter, GPS, telemetry TX, LCD Receiver and voice option. Cris told me yesterday he got the bugs worked out on the altimeter voice.

I prefer a stand alone over an app. The nice thing about a stand alone is you do not have to worry about the app being no longer supported.
There is something to be said about that. I exchanged emails with the author of Rocket Locator and he did the fix for the google maps issue, but doesn't intend to make any additional updates. It would be nice if he made it public domain and let others support it, but it doesn't sound like that will happen either.

The thing about apps is, the display's with satellite maps, etc. are so much better than what the stand alone options offer with distance and arrows. Now when the apps are developed and supported by the GPS vendor, we're getting places.

There is something to be said about that. I exchanged emails with the author of Rocket Locator and he did the fix for the google maps issue, but doesn't intend to make any additional updates. It would be nice if he made it public domain and let others support it, but it doesn't sound like that will happen either.

The thing about apps is, the display's with satellite maps, etc. are so much better than what the stand alone options offer with distance and arrows. Now when the apps are developed and supported by the GPS vendor, we're getting places.

I have had a few apps that I would have liked to keep around. They just fade away.

The T3 runs on a 1S Lipo for both Tx and Rx, it's 900 Mhz so no license required. The Tx was easy to recharge because I designed to easily swap from rocket to rocket. I put the receiver in a small project box with a DPDT switch so I could turn the receiver on and off, and when it was off, a wire with a connector stuck out and I could charge the battery without having to open the box (no tools required) since it was a 1S LiPo and doesn't need the balance plug for recharge like +2S LiPos do. This was big for me since I find having to open av-bays, etc. just to charge batteries super annoying.

It also worked really well with Bluetooth to Rocket Locator on my Android phone. Since we have cell service at the launch site, it uses Google satellite maps for a really nice overhead view of the rocket's track, where it is in real time on the way down so you could spot it again much easier, where it landed, where you are, and what's in between. It was really nice to know where it was in relation to the creeks, woods, lone trees, fence lines, cow pastures, beaver ponds, dirt roads, etc.

A feature I liked about the Rocket Locator app was because I would turn the GPS on and leave the receiver and phone on the truck bed when I took the rocket to the RSO and pads. When I got back, I could look at the track of where I walked the rocket to verify the GPS was working well. No track, and no launch.
Awesome thank you, great info. I'll look at that some more...

If you want voice, check the options with Eggfinder. They have a altimeter, GPS, telemetry TX, LCD Receiver and voice option. Cris told me yesterday he got the bugs worked out on the altimeter voice.
I'm going to look at those too, especially the mini. I'm probably going to have 2 separate systems, I'm just in love with the Marco Polo tracker. But I'm still narrowing it down...So thank you for the info.

I'm going to look at those too, especially the mini. I'm probably going to have 2 separate systems, I'm just in love with the Marco Polo tracker. But I'm still narrowing it down...So thank you for the info.
After looking at the Marco Polo, I can see how it can be a good rocket tracking system. It doesn't depend on cell service, or GPS tracking, and has a 2 mile range which should work for most launch sites, at least east of the Mississippi. It's a different technology than most rocket GPS trackers. The only thing is the cost. It's not any cheaper than some of the GPS type systems.
I think that brings it down to the ± of the tech system used.
I like the faster update speed, 1 sec or less for dedicated rocket GPS systems vs. the 5 sec. on the MP. I like the apps available with some of the GPS systems that allow a Google Map to be used to give a visual look at real time location as the rocket drops to aid in spotting it on the way down. The limited operating time and battery requirements for the GPS systems is a definite minus.

There are ± on both sides, since the cost is similar, I think it comes down to personnel preference.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

After looking at the Marco Polo, I can see how it can be a good rocket tracking system. It doesn't depend on cell service, or GPS tracking, and has a 2 mile range which should work for most launch sites, at least east of the Mississippi. It's a different technology than most rocket GPS trackers. The only thing is the cost. It's not any cheaper than some of the GPS type systems.
I think that brings it down to the ± of the tech system used.
I like the faster update speed, 1 sec or less for dedicated rocket GPS systems vs. the 5 sec. on the MP. I like the apps available with some of the GPS systems that allow a Google Map to be used to give a visual look at real time location as the rocket drops to aid in spotting it on the way down. The limited operating time and battery requirements for the GPS systems is a definite minus.

There are ± on both sides, since the cost is similar, I think it comes down to personnel preference.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Yeah it comes down to cost, and preference. I'm still looking but will take in the advice, I will ask around at the launches too coming up. Its not a serious rush. I've been paying attention to what some use on YouTube, Facebook, here, etc....Thank you.

Back