Cesaroni Technology and Animal Motor Works announce merger of HPR product lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe I can perfectly clear up the patent discussion. A design patent lasts 14 years. AT's patent was issued May 25, 1993. 1993+14= May 25, 2007 the patent expires. As far as I can tell, AT's design is fair game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought patents were granted for 20 years. Originally they were 14 years but that was extended at some point in time.

-Aaron

I thought patents were granted for 20 years. Originally they were 14 years but that was extended at some point in time.

-Aaron
It used to be 14 years from date of issue of the patent. Now it's 20 years from filing date. I don't recall when the change was made.

I believe I can perfectly clear up the patent discussion. A design patent lasts 14 years. AT's patent was issued May 25, 1993. 1993+14= May 25, 2007 the patent expires. As far as I can tell, AT's design is fair game.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting angle, indeed.

Directly from the US patent office website at https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/index.html#patent

"The patent laws provide for the granting of design patents to any person who has invented any new and nonobvious ornamental design for an article of manufacture. The design patent protects only the appearance of an article, but not its structural or functional features. The proceedings relating to granting of design patents are the same as those relating to other patents with a few differences. See current fee schedule for the filing fee for a design application. A design patent has a term of 14 years from grant, and no fees are necessary to maintain a design patent in force. If on examination it is determined that an applicant is entitled to a design patent under the law, a notice of allowance will be sent to the applicant or applicant’s attorney, or agent, calling for the payment of an issue fee. The drawing of the design patent conforms to the same rules as other drawings, but no reference characters are allowed and the drawing should clearly depict the appearance, since the drawing defines the scope of patent protection. The specification of a design application is short and ordinarily follows a set form. Only one claim is permitted, following a set form that refers to the drawing(s)."

However, I did some more looking an it turns out that as of June 8, 1995, the above mentioned came into effect, and prior to that it was 17 years from grant or 20 years from filing date so we're back to square one.
https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/doc/uruguay/SUMMARY.html

Really?? Show me your data?
I've seen FAR more 29 & 38 problems. In fact, I have yet to personally witness a K or greater motor fail . Yes, they obviously happen, I just don't think they happen at the "frequency" you claim..

I didn't say or refer to motor failure...I'm talking about hardware failing; blistered/melted casings & closure failures (mostly casings, though). Things that would prompt the request for new hardware, not a new reload.

29 & 38mm, from what I've seen & read, don't suffer those fates like bigger stuff does.

And I dunno...the patent in question clearly shows the high-power RMS design...I can't see how it'd EVER cover the hobbyline stuff; the closures are completely different. So that might be why AMW/CTI doesn't have to worry about saying they're gonna come out w/24 & 29mm loads for 'brand A'

And I dunno...the patent in question clearly shows the high-power RMS design...I can't see how it'd EVER cover the hobbyline stuff; the closures are completely different. So that might be why AMW/CTI doesn't have to worry about saying they're gonna come out w/24 & 29mm loads for 'brand A'

Don't just look at the pretty pictures. Read the words too.. ;)

Don't just look at the pretty pictures. Read the words too.. ;)

the words that talk about two seals? The hobby stuff has one.

The words where the ejection charge is contained in a well? hobbyline has it in the plastic cap.

I think...if indeed the patents are still active...a truck could be driven through them, and that's for the high-power version discussed and shown in the patent.

But the hobbyline stuff is truly different re. how the pieces fit, particularly w/regards to the front closure & delay (which everyone says is the critical part of all this). And the picture is important

Last time I assembled a Hobby-Line reload it had more than 1 o-ring in it (3 from what I remember) giving more than 1 seal. The forward and aft closures would give a minimum of 2 seals. Also, the thing at the top of the motor....where the BP charge goes....thats the well they were talking about.

-Aaron

Last time I assembled a Hobby-Line reload it had more than 1 o-ring in it (3 from what I remember) giving more than 1 seal. The forward and aft closures would give a minimum of 2 seals. Also, the thing at the top of the motor....where the BP charge goes....thats the well they were talking about.

-Aaron

thats how mine have been also. Strange!! :surprised: :rolleyes:

Ben

Back