Cesaroni spacer stuck in case

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlsRockets

Reaction score
I have several Cesaroni cases including a 29mm I haven’t used in some time but it has a spacer stuck in it. I’ve tried to drive it out with a small piece of wood that I can fit in the case on the lip of the spacer and a mallet, penetrating spray lube, pliers, hitting it on something solid to knock it out, heating it in hot water, cooling it in a freezer. I should probably just buy another case but any suggestions on how to get the spacer out?

Thanks!
Karl

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-penetrating-oil/
I haven’t tried Kroil and it's very expensive, but PB Blaster worked very well at getting things unstuck when I was working on rusted & stuck car parts after spraying generously and leaving overnight.

I used pb blaster & wd 40 penetrating sprays but I did not try leaving it for that long ... not enough patience .. doing that now though.

Thanks for the feedback David / Ken,
Karl

What ever penetrating oil you use, read and follow the directions. My neighbor once spent over an hour with a 8 lbs. sledge hammer trying to pound the lower ball joint out of the press fit of the lower A-arm on an old F-150 he bought. He asked me for help. I sprayed Liquid Wrench on it. The instructions say to tap the metal to aid in penetrating. I went around the ball joint tapping with a 20 oz. hammer and about half way around the third time, the ball joint fell out of the A-arm. It took about 2 minutes.

I've been a huge believer in Liquid Wrench ever since.

Is the case bulged where the front closure meets the end of the spacer? That happened to me once... time for a new case/spacer. :(

Once the pickle fork gets the ball joint loose from the spindle, how do you use the pickle fork to get the ball joint out of the lower a-arm?
Depends on what your working on...my GMC Sonoma Highrider there lower balljoints were riveted in place so cutting or grinding off the rivets was mandatory, easy to replace though as the new ones simply bolted in place. Getting them out though was a SOB.

I have several Cesaroni cases including a 29mm I haven’t used in some time but it has a spacer stuck in it. I’ve tried to drive it out with a small piece of wood that I can fit in the case on the lip of the spacer and a mallet, penetrating spray lube, pliers, hitting it on something solid to knock it out, heating it in hot water, cooling it in a freezer. I should probably just buy another case but any suggestions on how to get the spacer out?

Thanks!
Karl

You need to get a small propane torch. Soaking and freezing will cause both section of T6 to expand / contract at the same rate. Use the torch to quickly heat the outside of the case, then tap the spacers out with a wooden dowl.

Back