Cert Level Requirement?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geof

Reaction score
Is there a minimum certification level required to use a DD altimeter (for drogue/chute ejection)?

Nope. I've seen non-cert MPR guys do it, and I've done it myself many times. You may or may not need to get a Light Explosives Use Permit (LEUP) to use loose black powder, depending on who you talk to... that's another thread. I use Triple Seven myself and avoid the issue entirely.

I recommend that if you're new to DD you fly single deployment with the altimeter just logging data so you get an idea of what your flight path looks like with different engines, delays, etc. Once you have that information, you can plan your DD flight. Using motor ejection for the drogue and the altimeter for main is an easy step up into DD, and if you make a mistake with the electronics you still have the drogue to fall back on (no pun intended!)

Is there a minimum certification level required to use a DD altimeter (for drogue/chute ejection)?

lets hope we dont have to start certifying for electronics.... Sheesh...
I can see it in a few years after someone wipes someone else out with a dumb ejection test on the flight line...
"it was the electronics fault i swear"-- then the code needs starts requiring an "E" endorsement in our badge...

Depending on the electronics you chose, q2g2 ignitors work well, use some silicone tubing, and some off the shelf 3f substitute...
Ziptie the ens of the tubing shut, with the powder in the middle.
sometimes you can crush the substitute and increase the rate....
if you want a little more pop, wrap the tubing with 1 wrap of electrical tape....
you might want to use 25% more substitue, than fffg black powder....

I have a done a number of mid power DD flights. It can be more challenging than high power if you are using F motors or below. Weight and rocket diameter are far more critical factors at those motor levels.

Back