Centering Rings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quasar

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get Estes-type centering rings that aren't color-coded? Green centering rings just don't look right on clones of vintage rockets. In particular, I'm looking for 50-55 size. I bought some 20-50 size from Semroc a while back, but they're green. Thanks.

You could try the vendors on this forum first. You might have to call. A lot of sites don't specify color of the rings. discountrocketry.com has Custom Rocketry centering rings, but doesn't specifically say what color they are.

On the other hand, if I had the right rings, I would just trace them directly onto some white cardboard of an appropriate thickness.

Does anyone know where I can get Estes-type centering rings that aren't color-coded? Green centering rings just don't look right on clones of vintage rockets. In particular, I'm looking for 50-55 size. I bought some 20-50 size from Semroc a while back, but they're green. Thanks.

The FlisKits CRP-5-20 and CRP-20-50 are brown spiral wound rings, identical to what used to be offered with older Estes kits.

jim

Quasar,
I'm not sure how willing you are to 'get your hands dirty' but there are several options
One clumsy way is to cut a whole bunch of strips of paper 1/4 inch wide and wind them snugly onto the inner BT with a thin film of glue. Add more strips until you build up the ring to fit the inside of the outer tube. Use one more layer of glue on the ring front and rear faces before inserting the assembly into the larger BT. Works best when the inner and outer BT are close to the same size (so the ring doesn't have to get too thick). Crude, but it gets the job done.
Or, go get yourself a sheet of matte board at your local picture framing shop. (Hobby Lobby puts theirs on sale for half price every few weeks and you can get a large sheet, maybe 20 x 30 inches, for a couple bux.) It is approx 0.05 inches thick, high quality cardboard that takes white or yellow water-based glues well, and also wicks CA very nicely into the fibers. Matte board is available in an almost infinite variety of colors (apparently green is not for you?) on one side and white (or slightly off-white) on the other. Spend a few bux more on an Olfa circle cutter and you will have a lifetime supply of CRs.

I'm not sure I understand what difference the color of a CR makes??? Even in kits where a CR is used as a "detail" they are painted. What's the big dealio?

I'm not sure I understand what difference the color of a CR makes??? Even in kits where a CR is used as a "detail" they are painted. What's the big dealio?

That's what I was wondering. Can't you just paint over the CR?

That's what I was wondering. Can't you just paint over the CR?

Bohica, Micromeister, jj94:
Yes, you can paint over the centering rings, but I don't. I paint the rocket before installing the engine mount. Tip: Some people do things differently than you guys do.

powderburner:
Thanks for the detailed response. Your solution is something I hadn't thought of.

10fttall:
I'll call around and see who has what.

jflis:
I'll place an order sometime in the near future.

Bohica, Micromeister, jj94:
Yes, you can paint over the centering rings, but I don't. I paint the rocket before installing the engine mount. Tip: Some people do things differently than you guys do.

First of all their is hardly call for sarcasm...
Tip: Some people do things differently than you guys do.
..we were just asking a question.

And for the record...I always install the motor mount last myself. It's much easier to detail the mount to match whatever scheme I have chosen for the rocket. But it still doesn't make any difference what color the silly things are.

But it still doesn't make any difference what color the silly things are.

Sorry about the sarcasm.

I'm sure it doesn't make any difference to the vast majority of people and that's fine. In fact, with modern rockets, I don't care either. However, I'd prefer to use CRs without the color-coding for cloning vintage rockets. Here's a pic of the green still showing after assembly.

cr.jpg

Sorry about the sarcasm.

I'm sure it doesn't make any difference to the vast majority of people and that's fine. In fact, with modern rockets, I don't care either. However, I'd prefer to use CRs without the color-coding for cloning vintage rockets. Here's a pic of the green still showing after assembly.

cr.jpg

You could always peel away the very top layer of the CR

That pic explains it. You don't "finish" your motor mounts. Now it makes sense, thanks for explaining. FWIW Uncle Mike has CR's that are "vintage tan" as well.

Hey, Bohica, thanks for pointing me to Uncle Mike's. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I knew someone here would know where I could find them.

Thanks, ghost. That's really an easy way to modify the CRs and I actually did that to a couple of them. However, they were slightly loose in the body tube afterwards. Not much, but enough to make me want to do something about it (see pics below). On the first one, I cut a strip of scrap body tube and glued it to the CR. I then stripped of the glassine and sanded it down until it fit in the rocket. On the second one, I thought, "Wait a minute. That glassine I just stripped off the scrap BT should be thick enough." So, I glued the glassine onto the second CR, trimmed it, and it fit perfectly in the rocket. Since those were my last two 50-55 CRs, I'll order some from UM and not have to mess with modification. Thanks guys.

cr2.jpg

cr3.jpg

I've gotten centering rings from BMS, and the quality is always good.

I'll add another vote to dwmzmm's comment,

To get the same style centering rings that you have been working with, note that in the BMS catalog these are labeled "paper" such as CR520-P (holds a BT5 inside a BT20 and is 1/4 inch wide).

In the Totally Tubular catalog the same thing is labeled as CR-5-20 "wound." Most of the smaller CRs are 1/8th inch wide, most of the larger CRs are 1/4 inch wide.

I didn't check Fliskits but he probably sells them too. Point is, there are LOTS of great vendors where you can find these. And from what I have seen, they are all brown.

Sorry about the sarcasm.

I thought it was amusing. I was even thinking about stealing it for a sig line. :D

I just ordered some stuff from Uncle Mike's Saturday and it arrived in the mail Monday. That's one working day to my doorstep. Uncle Mike and his special USPS connection are top notch!

I order rings from the same place that Estes orders from, but I have never ordered them color coded.

I sell:

EB-5B (mini motor blocks)
5/20 rings
20/50 rings
50/55 rings

Details on my cheap-o website.
https://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/index.html
https://www.geocities.com/fredeshecter/prdctinf.pdf

Back