Carpet Thread, Brand Recommendations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to make some of my own parachutes for LPR/MPR, and before I have something come down w/o a functioning 'chute, I'd like to know what kind of carpet thread people have used to make their own.

Anybody have recommendations? I should add, I'm looking for something with an appearance similar to the Estes or Semroc shroud lines.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
when last I bought carpet thread, it came off the spool in coils. you could stretch it out but as soon as the tension was released it would coil again(I suspect that if I washed it in hot soapy water that might take care of that), so I went to braided Dacron(tm) fishing line (15lb test).
Rex

Got a PM from someone recommending Coats & Clark Dual Duty Plus Button & Carpet Thread. Since it was a PM, I'll preserve their anonymity.

51Ud897nwaL._SX425_.jpg

51Ud897nwaL._SX425_.jpg

if given a choice, I would go with 100% cotton...good luck finding it though.
rex

I actually prefer the cotton covered polyester like the C&C Dual Duty shown. The cotton protects a bit and the innner polyester adds strength.

I've used hundreds of rolls of these making chutes and kits.

https://www.coatsandclark.com/Produ...us/Dual+Duty+Plus+Button+and+Craft+Thread.htm

I've used the stuff Fred used on a 12" panel chute. I used that chute for over a year now(till it was burned yesterday following CATO). Never any issues. And this was the first one I made, my sewing wasn't exactly the greatest. I think you'd be fine with LPR/MPR using this.

I've used braided fishing line for competition chutes. Having a known breaking strength is useful.

Bob

Over time I've found most carpet thread and the "normal" should line cotton threads leave me wanting something more heat resistant.

I've found a great light weight 13lb 2 strand Kevlar thread that works wonderfully for any size competition mylar chute up to 48" diameter and just fine for most sport flying chutes up to about 28"diameter.
600yr spools are still under 20.00 from Edmund Scientific's www.scientificsonline.com the Cat no. 3034836 or search for Kevlar thread will brings up the spool currently 19.95 plus Shipping.
Haven't lost a shroud line since switching over to the stuff.
PS. Make for very easy chute packing as well;)

Comp Chutes-a_25mil, KevlarThread& tapestrips_08-27-06.jpg

Mylar Comp Chutes-e-sm_Attach to corner and burnish.jpg

Dry Cleaner Chutes-c_6,10,12 & 24in Marker Color chutes_03-14.jpg

Last edited:
Back