Carbon fiber dust

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Barney

Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if sanding dust from carbon fiber is abrasive like fiberglass, or if it is more lubricating like graphite powder? I got some on some rags and am wondering if I should wash them out and use them or just toss them. I'd hate to be washing my car with the same rag and end up scratching the paint or glass.

Thanks.

It's worse. Way worse. probably the most amazing itch I've ever had was from getting carbon fiber dust on my arm.

Originally posted by Nate
It's worse. Way worse. probably the most amazing itch I've ever had was from getting carbon fiber dust on my arm.

I am a visual person, can you please demonstrate with a video? ;)

thanx, Ben

If carbon fibers are released into the air, they float around like dust....and are attracted to electronics by static electricity. And when they land on a circuit board and span across the wrong places, your electronics are toast.

Carbon fibers deliberately spread through the air were one of the 'opening day' weapons used in Desert Storm. They were targeted on power stations (and quite successfully shut them down) but they work equally well on computers, stereos, or anything else you have around your house with a chip inside.

Now, do you still want to ask whether it's a good idea to keep those rags?

Not only does carbon dust go everywhere, but you DO NOT want it in your lungs. Make sure you wear a good dust mask and have plenty of ventilation when working with it.

Indeed, i read somewhere its as bad or worse than asbestos - does a terrible irreversible number on the inside of your lungs.

Toss it. Unlike graphite powder, which is specifically made as a lubricant, the carbon fiber dust has quite jagged edges. You do NOT want that anywhere near your car. Also, as Nate said, it gives a rash and itch like no other :rolleyes:

Originally posted by FROB
Indeed, i read somewhere its as bad or worse than asbestos - does a terrible irreversible number on the inside of your lungs.

That is so.

When I sand it, I wet sand. When I saw it, I wet it down. If I'm sawing it laminated to a paper tube and can't wet it, I saw it outside with the wind blowing from my back. Either way, I use a razor saw that cuts it fast with minimal dust.

It's like metal particles. They work their way in (whereas wood splinters work their way out). When that happens in your lungs, you're getting emphasyma by small doses. You're also getting epoxy dust, which can't be good.

Back