CANCELLED: DARS high power launch on Saturday, Jan 24 at Gunter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soft (not too soft) field, moderate temp, low by our standard wind...yep, pointy end up push button.

The official go/no-go will be made tomorrow morning on the web page and the DARS_notify Yahoo group. The group is open to all (not just DARS members) Sign-up from the front page of www.DARS.org

We need the sun to come out sooner rather than later. :cool:

Just got a heads up email from DARS about the field being very wet. With the winds forecast, we would have to transverse that muddy gully to set up WNW of the usual spot. Edit...Samb beat me by 5 minutes...:)

text of email:

Our Sat.27.Jan launch in Gunter may be called off, if we get too much rain. The field has received more than an inch so far (Thursday morning) with more on the way. With the winds expected to be out of the WNW on Saturday, we will have to set up or at least drive through some of the lowest (and therefore wettest) parts of the field. If it is too muddy to get cars in and out safely, we will call it off. We cannot put big ruts or tire tracks into the pasture, and stuck cars are no fun either.

We will check out the site tomorrow morning (Friday 23 Jan) to make the final go/no-go call. Please check the website and this Yahoo group (or DARS-Notify) to get the latest news.
Fly'em Safe
--Jack

Last edited:
[video=youtube;VcGfuEZ9dSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcGfuEZ9dSo[/video] :cry:

If it stops overnight and the winds are blowing and especially the sun shining tomorrow I bet we'll be okay. You got to believe!

It rained the night before our last launch and the field was fine the next day. I assume we will be ok, but we shall see.

It stopped raining here in Van Alstyne which is roughly 15 miles east of Gunter. That was about one half hour ago, but is still overcast and misting with NNE wind about 15 MPH. Rain gauge, 1.25 inches. It has been quite dry in this area lately and the ground eats water like a sponge. We shall see?????

I'm very hopeful. I think the primary concern is entry to the site. I'm only familiar with the one we've all used over the past year which is lower on the hill if I recall; or that to get to the right launch area based on winds will require us to travel across a low lying area. What about the gate to the north where they place the porta potty at the night before? Is that a possibility? Isn't this where the 'barn' is? I've heard about it but never paid too close attention....

It rained the night before our last launch and the field was fine the next day. I assume we will be ok, but we shall see.

I heard from Jack, after the fact...., that we could have done sparkies that morning. If we're good to go on Saturday I presume that would still be okay. I haven't seen the Metalstorm or Dark Matter motors so can hardly wait. I've been told the Dark Matter is one of the better sparkies. Fortunately I have the H115 and I280, both Dark Matter and DMS for any takers!

I haven't received my shipping slip from AT yet but I anticipate having the H170M and H178DM for the 38mm 360 case as well as the K540M and K456DM for the 54mm 1706 case in my shipment tomorrow.

Now we just need to set the hook!

I'm very hopeful. I think the primary concern is entry to the site. I'm only familiar with the one we've all used over the past year which is lower on the hill if I recall; or that to get to the right launch area based on winds will require us to travel across a low lying area. What about the gate to the north where they place the porta potty at the night before? Is that a possibility? Isn't this where the 'barn' is? I've heard about it but never paid too close attention....

That gate (the one in the corner where the road makes a hard right turn when going north) can be a problem even when it's bone dry because the ranchers bring hay in on heavy trailers at that entrance and the ground is deeply rutted. Any vehicle with low ground clearance can easily find itself "high centered" in this area. It's also a fairly steep incline and so it's best to pick your path and give it the gas even in a pickup with good ground clearance. I may run out there tomorrow for a look-see.

Maybe I should bring my tow chains? :wink:

I heard from Jack, after the fact...., that we could have done sparkies that morning. If we're good to go on Saturday I presume that would still be okay. I haven't seen the Metalstorm or Dark Matter motors so can hardly wait. I've been told the Dark Matter is one of the better sparkies. Fortunately I have the H115 and I280, both Dark Matter and DMS for any takers!

I haven't received my shipping slip from AT yet but I anticipate having the H170M and H178DM for the 38mm 360 case as well as the K540M and K456DM for the 54mm 1706 case in my shipment tomorrow.

Now we just need to set the hook!

Oh, that is perfect. I think I have a 38mm DM in the box, so sweet in the Sat. Int. Oh, drain field, drain!

I predict you are gonna sell a lot of sparkies Saturday if this works out.

Last edited:
That gate (the one in the corner where the road makes a hard right turn when going north) can be a problem even when it's bone dry because the ranchers bring hay in on heavy trailers at that entrance and the ground is deeply rutted. Any vehicle with low ground clearance can easily find itself "high centered" in this area. It's also a fairly steep incline and so it's best to pick your path and give it the gas even in a pickup with good ground clearance. I may run out there tomorrow for a look-see.

Maybe I should bring my tow chains? :wink:

I recall someone saying they setup a launch by the barn a couple of years ago due to wind direction. Anyone know if this was the location and or entrance?

Oh, that is perfect. I think I have a 38mm DM in the box, so sweet in the Sat. Int. Oh, drain field, drain!

I predict you are gonna sell a lot of sparkies Saturday if this works out.

It would be sweet to see a bunch of sparkies fly. The two in DMS are perfect for a lot of rockets most flyers have. The I280DM has the same dimensions as the J270W and J425R; it's a manly I.....

I may just have to prep a sparky G or H for a saucer flight. Low, slow, lots of noise and effects...

I recall someone saying they setup a launch by the barn a couple of years ago due to wind direction. Anyone know if this was the location and or entrance?

Yes, that was the location and this was the rocket. It was a demo flight I did for the landowner early in 2013 before the first DARS launch in June. It was a Sunday afternoon as I recall. The wind was light from the NNW, maybe 5 MPH at ground level and I flew "The Porker" on an AT G80-10. It went completely out of sight and was recovered downrange about 1,500 feet and across the road SSE of the pad, which I set up on the high ground about 200 feet south of the pole shed.

As Old Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story." :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 0
I have plenty of vehicle recovery gear, and Land Rover with a winch. The boys are always asking "when we are going to use the hook on the front Daddy?" Even if someone finds an unexpected low spot wet, we can get them out.

I'm getting close to having my Tyrannosaur ready...... including an EggFinder TRS and Stratologger. I've even have a J425..... Can I do the flight with on the J, but take the L2 written later?

Sun please come out tomorrow!

Hope we can do the launch.

Jack

..... Can I do the flight with on the J, but take the L2 written later?

Not under the current rules. You can take it same day !

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/

4. The flyer is required to take and pass a HPR Level 2 Written Exam prior to their Level 2 certification flight attempt. The individual must demonstrate their knowledge of regulations and laws pertaining to high power rocketry. Questions concerning basic rocket technical knowledge, e.g., center of pressure and center of gravity relationships, will also be included.

Yes, that was the location and this was the rocket. It was a demo flight I did for the landowner early in 2013 before the first DARS launch in June. It was a Sunday afternoon as I recall. The wind was light from the NNW, maybe 5 MPH at ground level and I flew "The Porker" on an AT G80-10. It went completely out of sight and was recovered downrange about 1,500 feet and across the road SSE of the pad, which I set up on the high ground about 200 feet south of the pole shed.

As Old Paul Harvey used to say, "Now you know the rest of the story." :clap:

Good looking rocket. I don't know if I would have the patience to paint the checkers. Did you just use masking tape? I've always had the spray paint bleed through when trying to do things like that. I'm a terrible painter and have little patience for it which might explain a few things....

Not under the current rules. You can take it same day !

https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-2-hpr-certification/

4. The flyer is required to take and pass a HPR Level 2 Written Exam prior to their Level 2 certification flight attempt. The individual must demonstrate their knowledge of regulations and laws pertaining to high power rocketry. Questions concerning basic rocket technical knowledge, e.g., center of pressure and center of gravity relationships, will also be included.

I would just go ahead and take the test and get it out of the way so you don't have to worry about it. Bring the rocket no matter what though, definitely want to take a look at it and your electronics arrangements!

I have plenty of vehicle recovery gear, and Land Rover with a winch. The boys are always asking "when we are going to use the hook on the front Daddy?" Even if someone finds an unexpected low spot wet, we can get them out.

The Official DARS Recovery Vehicle! I guess that would be ODARSRV for short :).

Good looking rocket. I don't know if I would have the patience to paint the checkers. Did you just use masking tape? I've always had the spray paint bleed through when trying to do things like that. I'm a terrible painter and have little patience for it which might explain a few things....

Thanks Robert. I built that around 2005-06 and it was the first rocket I ever flew at a DARS launch in Windom. At that time I flew it off of a homemade rail setup on a removable 3-pack of Estes E9-6 motors. I guess the elastic shock cord burned through because it lawn darted about a foot into Terra firma. It's got more epoxy repairs on it than a '68 Corvette and the paint has been redone numerous times, the most recently using Rustoleum 2X.

P.S.
https://www.dars.org/gallery/Turkey06/index.htm Scroll down to picture PB190082.jpg and look in the right hand distance. You'll see an old fat man kneeling in the mud looking for his eye glasses next to a strange looking scaffold structure. I believe the Porker was already on the rail. Time flies when you're having fun! (Photo courtesy of the late James Gartrell who was one of the nicest people I've ever met)

Last edited:
What's the bummer?...I have not yet seem anything about the launch...are you holding out on us?...:)

Jack apparently called Suzy when he was out in the field and delivered the bad news. She sent a message on the DARS news group shortly after. I caught it in the corner of my eye, got butterflies, then read it.... Too bad :shock:

Just noticed Chris and I posted at the same minute. I guess I beat you by a couple of seconds; or RF gives preferential treatment to motor vendors!

Back