Can you identify this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsas

Reaction score
Ok, in among the rocket electronics I just acquired was this small board. There are no identifying marks I recognize, so I thought I would post a couple of photos with the hopes that someone would recognize it. It is almost certainly from the early to mid 90's and it may be a home built thing. The only markings are on the back, the word "foil" and what looks like a logo or trademark, a CF inside a circle. The c anf f are nested such that the bottom of the c also serves as the lower cross line of the f. There are 2 red LED's and no beeper.
That is about all I know about it, but will be happy to answer questions. I am hoping that someone out there may recognize this. Thanks in advance.

mystery electronics.jpg

mystery electronics back.jpg

It looks like a timer. Whats the number on the chip?

I think Jeff is probably correct- looks like a timer. Here's how to tell for sure...
look at the numbers/letters on the chip near the center of the board. If it has a "555" it is a timer chip and the board is a timing circuit. See my notes on the other components in the picture for more info. I've also included a stock image of a typical 555 timer chip so you know what you are looking for.
-Kerry

PS- one other suggestion - when you post photos to the internet - make sure that you don't include your bank account/routing information accidentally (look near top right of the photo you posted) :)

mystery electronics.jpg

555chip.jpg

It looks like a timer. Whats the number on the chip?

Yes, this is the response I have been getting, but not working here. The markings are:
:M9218
LM
311N

Looks like a thumb that got hit with a hammer

:D Yeah, well it actually a great feeling because it means I have work. Besides, it add color to the photo. :rolleyes:

I think Jeff is probably correct- looks like a timer. Here's how to tell for sure...
SNIP

-Kerry

PS- one other suggestion - when you post photos to the internet - make sure that you don't include your bank account/routing information accidentally (look near top right of the photo you posted) :)

Good advice, except it is only a fraction of the number and it is actually printed on a coupon for an oil change I desperately need. :p

The LM311 is a voltage comparator capable of operating over a +3V to a +-15V supplies. I would suspect the TO-220 package is an output transistor - check the numbers on the chip. The M9218 on the LM311 is a manufacture code (18th week of 1992). My guess would be a timer, set with the trim pot and a capacitor. A break wire or pull plug would start slowly charging the capacitor. When the voltage on the capacitor reached a set point, the comparator output would turn on the transistor, firing the igniter.

Back