Can Ventris withstand HPR motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a six grain case will hit the baffle in mine. :(

too bad as it would be a really good test for my tracker!

You think it could take all the way to 6 grain anyway without adding nose weight? I wish I had assembled my nose / payload section with nylon rivets instead of gluing it together.

You think it could take all the way to 6 grain anyway without adding nose weight? I wish I had assembled my nose / payload section with nylon rivets instead of gluing it together.

yes, but the tracker would have to be in the nose. the payload bay in the ventris is way too small.

my sims show no nose weight would be needed for an 1200. the ventris is pretty long.

try heating it up and pulling it apart.

My son and I are looking at the 6G H159 for our next Ventris flight. All depends on launch conditions! Rocket Calc (which at most is an approximation) predicts about 4500 altitude.

Last edited:
yes. I hope you didn't install the motor block in the motor mount tube.

Well if the directions called for it to be glued then I glued it. I'm too tired right now to remember what I did. I believe it is glued in there though.

My son and I are looking at the 6G H159 for our next Ventris flight. All depends on launch conditions! Rocket Calc (which at most is an approximation) predicts about 4500 altitude.

So I am guessing that you didn't glue in the motor block? lol

I never use motor blocks! To limiting:)

Do you remember if the directions called for the motor block to be glued in?

Doesn't the motor block keep the motor from sliding back as the rocket accelerates?

yes. I hope you didn't install the motor block in the motor mount tube.

So I found the directions online and the motor block was "optional". Not sure if I did it or not but now I am thinking I didn't because it was optional.

Do you remember if the directions called for the motor block to be glued in?

Doesn't the motor block keep the motor from sliding back as the rocket accelerates?

No, that is the plasitc motor retainer which I do use. The motor block, is in the motor tube and keeps the motor from going forward. It allows use of motors without thrust rings like some of the AT SU economotors. Not needed if you use casings or wrap the motor with a tape trust ring.

No, that is the plasitc motor retainer which I do use. The motor block, is in the motor tube and keeps the motor from going forward. It allows use of motors without thrust rings like some of the AT SU economotors. Not needed if you use casings or wrap the motor with a tape trust ring.

Well you can put the motor block in without gluing it correct?

Like with my Vagabond I have the "spacer" that I use when I put in a D motor and remove the spacer when I put in a D motor.

By the way mcderek, my wife and I used to live in Richland. Lived for a few years in the Tri-Cities and now we livin in the Boise area. Love it up there though.

If you follow the instruction you glue the motor block (also called thrust ring) in. The spacer allows you to fly shorter motors with the thrust ring. It takes up the space between the motor block and the front of the motor. A G80 would not use the spacer but a Econojet F would because it is shorter. Leave the motor block/ thrust ring out and you can fly any lengeth motor that available.

Well you can put the motor block in without gluing it correct?

Like with my Vagabond I have the "spacer" that I use when I put in a D motor and remove the spacer when I put in a D motor.

No. The motor block needs to be glued in.

If you follow the instruction you glue the motor block (also called thrust ring) in. The spacer allows you to fly shorter motors with the thrust ring. It takes up the space between the motor block and the front of the motor. A G80 would not use the spacer but a Econojet F would because it is shorter. Leave the motor block/ thrust ring out and you can fly any lengeth motor that available.

I am looking at the directions at the "Motor Block" is listed as Part "O". When you look in the directions it says that "O" is optional if the rocket requires a motor block.

I didn't think the kit came with a spacer.

So what you are saying is that if I use an F motor in this thing I will need to glue the motor block in? Would that then prevent me from using a motor such as the G80-7T?

I didn't think the kit came with a spacer.

So what you are saying is that if I use an F motor in this thing I will need to glue the motor block in? Would that then prevent me from using a motor such as the G80-7T?

The easiest thing to do, and the one which will create less heartache down the road is to just throw that motor block(the piece the goes inside of the motor tube) in the trash. If the motor that you will be using has a built in thrust ring, then the Estes retainer will be enough, if the motor doesnt, then wrap the aft end with some masking tape to build a thrust ring of your own. If you dont want to do this, then ask any HPR person at your launch, they should be more than happy to help you prep the rocket so that you have the least amount of problems..

The easiest thing to do, and the one which will create less heartache down the road is to just throw that motor block(the piece the goes inside of the motor tube) in the trash. If the motor that you will be using has a built in thrust ring, then the Estes retainer will be enough, if the motor doesnt, then wrap the aft end with some masking tape to build a thrust ring of your own. If you dont want to do this, then ask any HPR person at your launch, they should be more than happy to help you prep the rocket so that you have the least amount of problems..

That sounds like the general consensus.

And I did just confirm that I did NOT put the motor block in.

Back