Can I unglue this with heat?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is 1/32 ply glued to 1/8 balsa.

Problem with watching football while building (at least Air Force won, games don’t get much closer or crazier than that!)

I don’t have a heat gun, can I bake this in the oven at 100 degrees centigrade to weaken the glue?image.jpg

Problem with watching football while building (at least Air Force won, games don’t get much closer or crazier than that!)

I don’t have a heat gun, can I bake this in the oven at 100 degrees centigrade to weaken the glue?View attachment 609604
Do Over.... Gorilla Wood Glue = Indestructible

I don’t have a heat gun, can I bake this in the oven at 100 degrees centigrade to weaken the glue?View attachment 609604
No, the heat required to destroy polyurethane glue would almost certainly destroy the wood also. Plus the chemicals released by the decomposition of the glue might contaminate your oven. You might be able to salvage one wood piece by cutting the other piece away but at least one of the wood pieces will almost certainly be lost.

You might be able to soften the glue with water, but that likely would screw up the parts.

My advice is try and cut the small piece off the larger piece. I'd try using a small block plane set to take a very thin cut. You may want to try sanding carefully to get the last few mils (.001 in) if you try this approach and need a smooth surface on the surviving part.

It's 20 cents worth of material, chuck it and remake... have another $12 beer to wash down your chips...
Completely agree with you on material cost. It was also however at least an hour or two of time.

I think my surgical “brakoplasty” was inelegant but effective solution. With added benefit it is exactly where I need to drill a retention band hole anyway, so should be super strong now.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/air-brake-recovery-hopefully-made-practical.182539/
Post 30

Back